Removable/modular TTT???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Removable/modular TTT???

Postby Kmucha16 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Hey all, I initially posted this in the newbie section, but wasn't getting any traction. Kinda hoping for a little feedback on my proposed plan before I dive into it. Probably going to be a little while before I start anyway. If this redundant post is against some rule, I apologize in advance.

Anyway, I've already purchased my HF 4x8 trailer, the 1,720 lb capacity one. Comes with the larger 5.3x12" tires with 5 lugs. Been sitting in it's boxes for a couple months now, although I did clean out and grease the wheel bearings last weekend, so I've got that going for me. Hopefully this weekend I'll actually assemble the trailer. Then I can start my build. The intent is to be able to put together something I can store on the side yard and that will be comfortable and easy enough that my wife will want to go camping more. We can all hope for that one. If not, my boys and I can go on our own trips.

My goal is to do this sort of in stages.

Stage 1 being to build a galley/camp box for the kitchen stuff, and another one for the gear storage, and just go tent camping for a bit. The plan is for 2 boxes 4ft l x 4ft h x 2ft deep and fill the front (or rear) 4x4 footprint. Using the remaining space to haul the kids bikes and other gear as needed. These would be removable so that I can use the trailer as a utility trailer as needed. Simply 3/4 ply boxes with requisite shelving and drawers. Although, I'd love to make the galley built out like the ones I see on y'alls full on campers.

Stage 2 would entail building a living enclosure. Utilizing the previously constructed galley box, it would mate up to the new living box, which would also be removable. Inside would be cubbies above the foot space for storage. Pretty simple DC electrical, fan, switched LED fixtures, and USB power ports for small devices. Potentially external AC extension cords and a charge controller for plug in camping. Thinking of creating wiring harnesses for each box so that it is easily disconnected when removed. Plug n play. Thinking ply sandwich walls with foam board insulation. I've got lots of woodworking experience and have no doubt I can build something pretty cool. I'm envisioning birch ply trimmed out in redwood or cedar for contrast. With a clear coat finish.

My biggest questions are:

1) What do you think about this approach? I've looked for removable campers and there's not a lot of detail out there. I thought with 2 separate boxes, the weight and maneuverability might be lessened making it easier to remove. Also provides a couple options when heading out depending on the type of trip and required gear.
2) Do I really need insulation? Norcal (SF Bay Area) is pretty temperate and I'm curious if there's much comfort to be gained at the expense of 3 inches width.
3) Still struggling over the doors. Build or Buy? I really don't want to spend $300 on doors, and I'm pretty sure I could build them. Just need to research that more. I do envision having to buy a few windows though.

Anyway, thought I'd get this out there and see what sticks.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin
Kmucha16
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Removable/modular TTT???

Postby elcam84 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm working on something similar. I have a 5x10 utility trailer with pipe sides. My plan is to build a teardeop shaped unit that rolls onto the trailer pipe rails kind of like a rollercoaster.
I will have to fabricate the rollers and metal latches that will secure the camper to the trailer.

Now my issue is that loml wants a shower and toilet... So that immensely complicates things. This is a long term in design project so lots of time to see what i can come up with.

As for your plan its feasible however having more than one unit will greatly increase the weight of the trailer because of needing more support structure.
Modular power in each is easy to do.

As for insulation. Even if you don't need it i would reccomend insulating. Its always useful and if your wall construction is nice and tight the foam will actually add some rigidity to the walls.

Try not to use too much 3/4 plywood. Think light. Design it like an airplane, light but just strong enough. 1/2" plywood is pretty strong especially coupled with good design. You would be surprised how flimsy commercial built campers are and they hold up pretty well.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby jonesnforcampin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm

I way over built mine, but it is removable as well. It hangs over the front of the trailer by 6" and the back by 18", so I figured it needed to be strong due to not being supported by the trailer. I don't 100% follow your plan, but I know it is possible to make the camper removable from the trailer. I've only taken mine off once and I did so by lowering the front and then putting jack stands under the rear overhang, set way up. I then used the trailer jack and jacked the front back up. This separated the rear of my camper box from the trailer. I then took two long pieces of uni-strut bolted together and put it under the front overhang. I used a jack and jack stands and raised the front up. The jack stands in front had to be set wider than the wheel wells, hence the uni-strut. I then rolled the trailer out from under the camper box. Overall the camper box is 5'x10' and the trailer is a Northern Tool 5'x8'.

To keep the camper on the trailer I used the latches for a pop up tent camper roof and latched the camper to the trailer frame.

I would like to get some truck bed camper jacks, the real high lift ones, and put them on removable "wings" in front that will put the jacks out wider that the wheel wells.

My original plan didn't work at all because I over built the camper. If I ever build another camper I will go WAY lighter.
jonesnforcampin
Teardrop Builder

Postby jonesnforcampin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Regarding the width/insulation, I would estimate that a lot of your comfort will come from insulating your roof well. Why would you have to go 3" thick on your walls if you insulate them?

The idea of doing the camper in two stages/boxes is not a bad one. Would you bolt the two together but make them so you can separate them?

I would say to buy the windows and build the door(s). Doors are easier to build and homebuilt windows I've seen take up more space or don't vent as well.
jonesnforcampin
Teardrop Builder

Postby edgeau » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 am

I reckon your plan is workable. Depending on how old your boys are you might be able to make the modules light enough to lift off. If you have to do it on your own some mechanical assistance will be needed. Have a look at my build thread for how I make mine removable with 4 ordinary car jacks.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=67490

Won't be directly applicable to you but might give your creativity a nudge. I have been taking mine on and off throughout the build on my own. If you do decide to use jacks here is a tip. I put a tent peg in a cordless drill to wind them with. Really quick that way.
Have fun [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:00 am

I built my 4x7 and rolled the trailer under it when finished. I see no problem with off and on with simple blocks and a 4x4 as a lever.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby alchemist77 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:16 am

I think foamie construction would work best. Use PMF, coat the thing as a giant shell with skids on the bottom. Composting toilet. Pop-up shower stall, flexible hose. Bolt holes in the bed or on the sides or hurricane straps.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kmucha16 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks folks. This so the feedback I was hoping for.

As for the 3" walls, that was the combined thickness of both side walls. 1.5 inch or less each.

I love this site, so many. I'll ideas.

Kevin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Kmucha16
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion