Insulated or Non-insulated Walls

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Insulated or Non-insulated Walls

Postby Elrodbt » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Hello,

I am wondering what everyones opinion would be on insulated or non insulated walls. I am still in the designing phase of 5x8 offroad TD. I was originally going insulate my walls but now I am thinking about not doing that and just doing the floor, roof, hatch, and front wall to save some cash and space. I live at 9000ft so I am planning on doing some late winter and spring camping hopefully nothing below 15 degrees. I am thinking I will be fine without the walls being insulated. I will be skinning the trailer in aluminum as well. Thanks for your thoughts.
Elrodbt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Insulated or Non-insulated Walls

Postby lrrowe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:10 pm

For the cold weather camping you are thinking about, the joy of saving $$$$$ will fast turn to disappointment once you are in the "cold" world. IMHO.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Trevor57 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:32 pm

I spent $15 for 5 sheets of 3/4", and about $15 for adhesive. It will add about 2 lbs of weight, and 1-2 hours of total time to the build. I didn't insulate my converted trailer, and that was a mistake.
Trevor57
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Elrodbt wrote:Hello,

I am wondering what everyones opinion would be on insulated or non insulated walls. I am still in the designing phase of 5x8 offroad TD. I was originally going insulate my walls but now I am thinking about not doing that and just doing the floor, roof, hatch, and front wall to save some cash and space. I live at 9000ft so I am planning on doing some late winter and spring camping hopefully nothing below 15 degrees. I am thinking I will be fine without the walls being insulated. I will be skinning the trailer in aluminum as well. Thanks for your thoughts.

My first teardrop was factory built wth straight plywood walls. No matter how much ventilation, condensation was a problem on cool nights. Our current drop has 3/4" and we don't get condensation.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:19 pm

FALSE ECONOMY, IMHO

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:26 pm

I vote for insulated walls! When I built my 5x8 (weeell, 60"x114" outside dimensions) in 2006 I put 1" of Dow 'blueboard' foam insulation under the floor, 3/4" in the walls, & 1 1/2" in the front/roof. I've slept in the TD in 18 degree weather with the door windows cracked an inch or so, in perfect comfort with only a medium duty sleeping bag. NO condensation except around the aluminum perimeter of the door windows. Also, some campgrounds get kinda noisy at different hours of the night. The insulation in the walls helps to reduce the noise that penetrates the TD, aiding in better sleep & making for better listening to the stereo...

Under floor insulation

Sidewall/roof insulation

Exterior covered with 1/8" Luan before skinning with 0.040" mill finish aluminum

Camped at 10K' in San Isbel NF, southern CO, Blue Lake C/G, Jul 2011
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby booyah » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Another vote for insulation here... We camp below freezing fairly often, and if we have shore power will use a little 400w space heater, and can keep it easily 70 inside.

without insulation, you might as well be in a tent!
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Woodpecker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:26 pm

Fully insulated adds stiffness to the sides as well. I stuff insulation everywhere I can.

Woodpecker
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:38 pm

• I built my TTT for strength, durability, and weather resistance, thinking that thickly polyurethaned 3/4" plywood joined by steel braces would be all it needed to survive the North Texas environment. A/C, a strong fan, and minimal heating were given prerequisites for the warmer than average climate, but insulation wasn't considered a necessity, since camping would be scheduled for the warmest months. I didn't account for the combination of a tightly sealed trailer, with high humidity inside and out, and the air exchange of even one occupant, that come together to cause a lot of condensation, whether warm or cold.
  • In hot weather, the interior is cooled by A/C, in moderate weather by a 11" fan, and in cold weather, by one or two 200 watt heaters. In low humidity, all work well, and there is no condensation to speak of (small computer case fans circulate minimal airflow thru upper wall vents at all times, reducing humidity build-up inside). But, in very humid conditions, condensation begins to occur: on the exterior when the A/C is running, and on the interior when the heater(s) -only- are on. But, by using the high-flow air circulation furnished by my 11" fan, I can minimize the interior "wall sweating" , and I care little about the exterior "sweating", since the exterior poly/paint was formulated for water resistance anyway. Since I can use variable fan speeds and angles to circulate the interior air, the condensation isn't a problem, but I've put some carpet on the lower walls (where my arms might contact them, while sleeping) to combat any clamminess upon touch.
  • My main concern would be eliminating ceiling condensation, which would drip, but I've yet to see any, so far. If it weren't for good venting, and good air circulation, then I might have a problem, but since I like to run a fan year-round (as "white noise"), it works out just fine. However, to build again, or refurbish, insulation would be included. Live and learn....
Last edited by working on it on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby deleted » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 am

I would definitely recommend insulated walls. Once I had my trailer I realized my intentions to not camp in cold weather or for extended periods were just that, intentions. The reality is that I've several times found myself in the trailer on 28ยบ nights when condensation could have been a problem and lived out of the trailer for several months from winter to summer in CA when I ran the gamut from cold, to rain, to heat.

Like Nobody above the only condensation I ever get is around the metal window frames and on the glass. It's easier to be prepared than to have to fix interior condensation/moisture damage later imho.

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:11 pm

No insulated walls = Hot box
On my build it has insulated all a round no wood to give R1
So the more insulation the better .
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components