new battery company?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

new battery company?

Postby Rferg800 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Has anyone heard of this company or the batteries they make? https://dmdinverter.en.alibaba.com/prod ... 0.0.bJQ9DU
Sounds too good to be true, 200ah and less than 20lbs for $415 delivered w/ a 10amp charger included.
Rferg800
Teardrop Inspector

Re: new battery company?

Postby John61CT » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Yes truth in advertising isn't enforced much in China, barely is here anymore in fact.

Weight seems waaay too light.

Likely not discharged at the standard 20-hour rate for that AH rating.

And if you did decide to take advantage of any warranty, you won't be happy paying the shipping costs all the way back to China.

But if you decide to be the pioneer, do please test them thoroughly and report back here!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:48 am

I would do extensive i-net search to see if anybody has any experience with them...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rferg800 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:56 am

That's what I'm trying to do here. Any other forums to suggest to post questions on?
Rferg800
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:13 pm

There seems to be NO information about this battery beyond the mfr site and a couple of sites selling the battery.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:16 pm

At least with eBay you in effect get 100% money back guarantee, if misrepresenting seller has to cover return shipping too.

Some interestingly reasonable LFP packs being sold there lately.

But personally I'd stick with known-good like CALB from EV West, AM Solar etc.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:28 pm

That battery isconstructed using many single 18650 ccylindrical shaped cells wired in some series / parallel configuration. Nothing inherently wrong with that; Tesla batteries use the same principle. But then Tesla is building, selling a premium product that uses a well engineered, well built cell protectionsystem. A BMS, battery management system is required toprevent potentially dangerous problems. If the BMS is a cheapy, ... not good. You never know what you will getbuying directfromChina. And you basically havenowarranty. I believe we are better off using a lithium battery that is constructed from larger cells, as few as possible and series connected for 12 volts or whatevertheuse demands. Much more$$ from US sellers though,but with warranty service that works. https://www.solar-electric.com/resident ... eries.html
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:51 pm

A BMS, battery management system is required toprevent potentially dangerous problems. If the BMS is a cheapy, ... not good.

X2. Also, as mentioned earlier, they don't show what the 20 hour amp-hr rating is.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 pm

The need for an expensive BMS is greatly overblown when LFP is used for relatively gentle House-type loads.

The EV industry is a completely different world.

There are just a few rules to care for an LFP bank, and only a few need automated protection. It's not rocket science, but so much money is being made exploiting ignorance and fear it's tough to get objective information to help DIY just buying bare cells.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:00 am

Might be worth while to watch China on Batteries, They're one of the few countries commercially developing cells with Graphene sheets, which should make batteries either much lighter/smaller for the same number of AH, or heavier but with more AH. Of course, you've gotta be careful and only buy from trusted manufacturers.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 am

Another thing to consider is this. You potentially have a bunch of high power lithium cells with potentially weak quality control lashed together in 200ah bomb in your camper in your garage with all of your toys. We frequently use low cost cells from china in RC, but we take precautions to limit risks. Special storage boxes, charging bags, etc.... and we still have mishaps.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 am

While you’re on the subject , anybody tried the recommended Solar battery from HF ? ( sealed gel )

Friz , we’ve had 2 (two) RC Lipo fire/explosions … it’s like ten seconds in Hell … then everything’s an ash ... :shock: I hear they’ve now developed a non flammable electrolite , that doesn’t blow up … Bad enough they’re in all our phones , pads and laptops … no reason for a Big one … and big Potential ( Boom ! ) ... :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 pm

I am very comfortable with AGM batteries. We have been using them in small aircraft as starter batteries for years. An aircraft cowling is a pretty harsh environment for a battery designed for emergency lighting in buildings. We have always had good luck with them.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:14 pm

I have also been looking at those, our Lifeline AGM will be aging out in a few years. There are a number of other Chinese manufacturers that I am looking at as well.
You might want to chek in with the Wind and Sun forum http://forum.solar-electric.com/categor ... um-website
I made a queary on the solar forum it will be interesting to see what they say.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion