Caulk

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Caulk

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:50 pm

I have been careful to caulk seams using recommended RV products, and they failed.
In the tearjerkers gathering I had two problems a plumbing joint Jared lose and My 10 gal water tank emptied into the cabin, everything is now dried out...
Friday night there was a toad drownder and I woke up with water coming inside from the ceiling and dripping down on to the rear inside cabinet door. I will now have to refinish and bleach out staining.
Cause, likely a failure of caulk. I removed all the trim and removed all the caulk Dicor self leveling and who knows what else that I did not do. Judging by how easy it was to remove I have 0 faith in it working in the future.
Surface prep is Important and I have always used alcohol.
Looking for an alternative I have used Lexel, recommended on another RV website, it is very different, more rubbery. I used the clear on top so that I can see what is happening.
http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Caulk

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Its what I use and recommend. Silicones do not stick to themselves so it looks good but is not sealing anything
Sorry you got wet, but now you know what doesn't work.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Here is the method I recommend for sealing seams. Carefully caulk the seams with just enough caulk to fill the gap. Then take Eternabond tape and put it over the seam. Put the trim back on trim off any excess tape that extends past the trim. I had trouble with leaks at the front and back corner seams on my trailer until I used the above method. No more leaks that I am aware of. Just relying on caulk is not good enough...but the Eternabond tape makes the seams totally waterproof.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 pm

I suggest a polyurethane caulk like Trempro 635 or Sikaflex.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:11 am

RE: Dicor self leveling … from our “RV" experience it was pretty worthless … JMHO, any thing recommended by the RV manufacturers is "designed to fail” … Confronted about this material , my RV “dealer” … recommended he remove the old caulk once a year and replace with new Dicor …. at a cost of $1200.00 . And checking the top after a job , they merely squirted more Dicor over the old , quickly resulting in leaks that damaged the unit. You can read many horror stories about it on most any official RV forum... :R
Eternabond tape works SUPER for us !!! Used on our Foamie #1 , and it Never leaked … despite many nasty storms ( Hail too ) .. :thumbsup:

Surface preparation and integrity is important to sealing anything … Cleaned and de-greased is very important … Always read the label ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion