Coolers storing food fresh!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Coolers storing food fresh!

Postby swoody126 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:35 am

i had a couple 12V conveniences in my big truck

the 12V fridge and a 12V > 120V inverter(for my computer, microwave and drip coffee maker)

the truck was equiped w/ "OPTIMUM IDLE" which monitors battery condition and when the state of the battery would decline to near the point that wouldn't start the engine the feature would automatically start the engine and run it at fast idle to restore the charge

both conveniences were battery killers and OPTIMUM IDLE would start the engine from time to time during the night to maintain charge when only the fridge was operating and every time i would use my drip coffee maker or microwave

UNLESS you are plugg'd into shore power or the TV engine is running at or above fast idle i would be cautious about using 12V accessories of any sort specially if the trlr is plugg'd into the TV's system and could discharge the TV's battery to a point that could not start said TV

simple comments based on personal experience

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:55 am

My Rtic keeps 20 pounds of ice for 3 days - would last longer if we didn't use it up in our wine coolers. Norcold in TD holds food well, can go about 10 days before we need to go shopping. Have a Coleman 12vdc cooler that I use IF we have power - it is a hungry little beast but it froze water bottles in May's heat of the High Desert. I wish it had a thermostat, I'd use it more. Might look into making a controller for it someday.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 am

Here is a buying guide article about 12v freezers

https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-gui ... -freezers/

Here is a article for head to head comparison 12v freezer vs. cooler

https://expeditionportal.com/head-to-he ... or-cooler/

I have read some good reviews on this newer company https://www.snomasterusa.com/product-category/fridges/

I am in the process of building my teardrop and building for the eventual addition of a 12v freezer. I eventually want to take extended off grid trips and the convenience of not having to deal with ice sounded appealing to me. In the short term I will probably use a yeti/Rtic cooler since most of my trips will be weekend or long weekend trips.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:01 pm

americanrvcompany.com/Major-Appliances-and-Parts-RV-Portable-Refrigerators has a good selection of ac/dc chest fridge freezers at very competitive prices.

truckfridge.com sells some of the most affordable ac/dc chest type fridge freezers. They are made IndelB.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion