Your choice of Mattress

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Your choice of Mattress

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:We have a 5" firm foam from...

Been on their website playing around with the build your own feature. Thanks for the link!
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:54 pm

TimC wrote:Here's my mattress. I like it. Not too warm. Pretty squishy, but, firm when you lay down...

I like this one and I'm leaning towards something very much like it. Have you used it in cold weather? Curious to know about your experience if so...
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DWT77 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:14 am

Atomic77 wrote:
DWT77 wrote:I have been doing some research on this as well...

Sure appreciate you sharing your research. And the helpful links. Hadn't thought of the feather topper but now that I know about the cold weather issue you've got me thinking about that as well. Thanks!

I don't know how cold it has to be before it gets hard but from what I remember reading people seem to say it does get uncomfortably hard.

Also, mentioned here on the forum that if you have a heated teardrop then it's not bad. Seems like I remember someone saying they used and electric blanket to warm it up before going to bed.

If the mattress is 4" foam with 2" memory foam you can flip it and that might help.

Seems like there are plenty of options but I can't speak from experience. Hopefully soon though. I am trying to get my teardrop completed by mid September then heading to Telluride blues and brews festival in Colorado.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 am

Personally, I vote for polyurethane foam (mattress or futon). Get a high-density model. That doesn't make it necessarily firmer; just higher quality. Then choose the firmness (20 lb - super soft; 35 lb - medium; 50 lb - firm you prefer.

If you really like memory foam, you can use a memory foam topper. If it's too hot or cold for memory foam, then you can just roll it up and use the standard mattress.

What's really great about foam is that it's mold-resistant. Leaving a standard spring mattress or cotton futon or feather mattress in a stored camper, particularly when there's no air ventilation from beneath, might be asking for trouble. I like six-sided breathable mattress encasements myself. Keeps out mold, insects, water etc.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby friz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Homebrewer25 wrote:Disclaimer: I have not used this, so take it with a grain of salt.

I found this on Overstock.com. It looks like it could be perfect for use in a teardrop. Twin and Full are 75" long, the XL versions are 80" long. Queen is also 80" long
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/LUCID-4-inch-Folding-Mattress-and-Sofa-Bed/11898494/product.html?refccid=LMJLQ2ZP2D73J62KDPRSHLOM4A

This is the one I use. Love it.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby earl84 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 am

Based on this thread, I ordered this. It should be here in a few days, just in time for our maiden voyage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NB ... UTF8&psc=1
earl84
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:Personally, I vote for polyurethane foam (mattress or futon). Get a high-density model. That doesn't make it necessarily firmer; just higher quality. Then choose the firmness (20 lb - super soft; 35 lb - medium; 50 lb - firm you prefer.

You really have done your homework, hu? That's awesome and really helpful. So I'm leaning towards a 4" (I have a height issue because of a fold down leaf at the end of the counter that I didn't plan well... You don't know what you don't know until you know... You know?)

Anyway, 4", 35lb. Debating on the memory foam layer. A friend at the local boat factory says he can make me anything I want to my spec's out of leftovers from the big boats. So now I just have to figure out what I want! So... are you anti-memory foam? :thinking:
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm

friz wrote:This is the one I use. Love it.

Those look great for a teardrop. I like the idea of using it as a couch sometimes. In my case, it's a standy and I've got a queen. By the way, the name of your camper is awesome :thumbsup:
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:50 pm

earl84 wrote:Based on this thread, I ordered this. It should be here in a few days, just in time for our maiden voyage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NB ... UTF8&psc=1

Enjoy your new purchase and best of luck on your maiden voyage! :applause:
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lagadelphia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:33 pm

I went with a 6 in deluxe foam mattress from foam factory. It was too firm for me as a bed so I did what other folks did and got a 2 in memory foam topper from Walmart and that did the trick. Very comfortable now. The deluxe foam would definitely good for cushions that you sit on.
Lagadelphia
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to General Discussion