Should I or not?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Should I or not?

Postby Hog Wild » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:17 am

Should I move my axel back 4 to 6 inches on my NT 5x8 trailer before my build is started. I'm looking at building the Simple or Rimple. :?
Saw Dust and Wood Chips are as Close to Potpurri as I get...
Hog Wild
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Should I or not?

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:45 am

I'm just finishing that task today. Moved axle back the distance between carriage bolts holes of rear spring hanger. Not hard.

If I were starting over, I would seriously consider not moving axle ( back - I'd still undersling it) and extending tongue further and push cabin forward. I might. More tempted the more the cabin is over 10'.

I just learned two other "tricks" this morning - disassembly and re-assembly complete. More later.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 am

PS: one consideration not to overlook are the fenders. Besides moving spring hangers for axle you have to move fenders. May not be an issue for you if not using the fenders and mounting that came with trailer kit.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby kramergwt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Hog Wild wrote:Should I move my axel back 4 to 6 inches on my NT 5x8 trailer before my build is started. I'm looking at building the Simple or Rimple. :?

Looking at trailer stability videos I think it may be OK to move the axle back if you can position things like the battery, water pump, etc. above and behind (but close to) the moved axle. I am doing the same thing but this is more of an experiment right now. Also swapping out the axle and wheels that came with my NT 5x8. My assumption is that the galley components and items stored there along with additional items like battery, etc. will create a well balanced trailer load even with the axle moved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:00 pm

I should have said I'm simply aiming for 30-35% of wt behind axle. It will be easy since I decided to make cabin removable xx so I could adjust it later. Also believe it tracks better with axle moved and tongue extended.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby kramergwt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:54 pm

QueticoBill wrote:...Also believe it tracks better with axle moved and tongue extended.
I had a good load of stuff on mine when I pulled it to Austin, TX from CT and I moved the axle back to the manufactures position before I towed it. Did you put a load on yours with the axle moved and tow it yet? ...or are you just thinking it will track better? ...because I've thought the same thing. Not criticizing, just curious if the thought of better tracking has been tested/proven.

kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:20 am

kramergwt wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:...Also believe it tracks better with axle moved and tongue extended.
I had a good load of stuff on mine when I pulled it to Austin, TX from CT and I moved the axle back to the manufactures position before I towed it. Did you put a load on yours with the axle moved and tow it yet? ...or are you just thinking it will track better? ...because I've thought the same thing. Not criticizing, just curious if the thought of better tracking has been tested/proven.

I have not tried it. My belief is based on what I have read here. It seems more to do with weight and balance and tears seem to have more weight further back compared to a typical load.

There is also the practical issue if locating door.

As I noted, I'll definitely able to reposition the cabin some on the chassis.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion