Buying Camping Trailers on Craigslist

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Buying Camping Trailers on Craigslist

Postby dkitt4jc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 pm

I've seen some decent listings on my local Craigslist for popups and other small campers. At least they seem decent to me. I don't currently own one, but I'm in the market. However, I have no experience buying something that large and relatively expensive in that manner. Has anyone here ever bought a camper or trailer from Craigslist? If so, how did it go? Was it a good deal? Any recommendations on how to proceed with a perspective purchase, or should I just stay away from Craigslist altogether?

Thanks,
Don
dkitt4jc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Buying Camping Trailers on Craigslist

Postby les45 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:32 pm

I bought my donor pop-up for my latest project on Craigslist and it was a great experience. Buying on Craigslist is like buying anything else used: you have to know what you want and how to inspect it before purchasing. It's still buyer beware. Here are some tips I would recommend:

1. Start out with the Craigslist email communication and ask for additional pics and description. Ask questions about anything you want to know that may not be in the ad. (previous owners, how much use, mileage, etc.)

2. Call the seller and get a "gut feel" about them from the personal contact.

3. Vette the seller through any available internet info. Search Facebook and Google search the person's name, phone number, or personal email (if available).

4. Arrange to meet the person in a public place. Many local police departments are making their parking lots available for Craigslist sales. Parking lots at big box stores where there are lots of people are always good. If they really want to sell, they will accommodate you by bringing their item to a safe place.

5. Only meet in the daytime. Don't meet after dark even in a public place.

6. Don't take your money with you. Tell the seller up front that you will have to go to a bank or ATM after you have inspected the item and agreed to buy.

7. Get a bill of sale (some states have specific forms for vehicles and trailers) and a clear title if one is available.

8. Anticipate what you might need to transport the item back home (spare tires, tools, air compressor, towing accessories (ball, receiver, etc.).

9. Use common sense and if your gut says to walk away, then walk away.

Good luck.
les45
500 Club

Postby kramergwt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Les45, that was perfect!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Les pretty much said it all.

I can only add that I bought mine on CL. Same deal. If you get a weird vibe from the ad, or the seller when you contact them, just walk and don't look back. Don't fall in love with the rig and overlook a flaw. But don't pass up something that's easily dealt with. There are unknowns like bearing condition, potential leaks (no matter what they say), wiring that needs redone.

The more you know how to take care of that stuff yourself, the less the risk and the less the cost of fixing. The less so, the more you will be paying someone else to fix. Again, you have to factor risk into the price. The seller wants to price it as though it is perfect. It may be. Or it may not. That uncertainty costs money.

My deal worked out fine. I probably overpaid by 20%, given the rewiring I had to do. Still, I'm happy with what I got and what I paid for. It isn't always about driving the "best" bargain, just both sides being happy with what they gave and got.

Final note: it's not up to you to make them happy with the deal. If you're not happy, it doesn't matter if they are.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby mary and bob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Campers are favorite items for scammers on craigslist. Usually the price is low, too good to be true type of figure, it may also be an odd number, and spelling is frequently odd. Airstreams and fiberglass campers such as Scamps or Casitas are frequently listed. If you contact a seller and get some weird story like he is out of the country, on an offshore drilling rig, or some other reason they can't have you come look, then it's certainly a scam. Also the story may be the trailer is at a shipper and will be shipped to you anywhere in the country. Use caution, but most ads are legit.
mary and bob
500 Club

Return to General Discussion