Less Than Expected Teardrop Sightings

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Less Than Expected Teardrop Sightings

Postby Dusty Mark » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:41 pm

We just finished a trip from Minnesota to Virginia to Maine to Minnesota for a grand total of 3 teardrop camper sightings over the course of a 3,900-mile road trip. That's less than 1 sighting per 1,000 miles traveled. I was driving the interstates to maximize time at each destination, but I was expecting to see more teardrops out there. Is that normal, or kind of low from your experience?
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Re: Less Than Expected Teardrop Sightings

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Not counting the route to a gathering, that's low. See 3 or 4 going the opposite way, 1 or 2 in a campground, and might pass one or be passed by 1 or 2 - that's on a quick 700 mile round trip, one week outing. What has surprised me is very few home built in that list, most are store bought. I can't say about CT conversions as you can't tell unless they have obvious modifications.

Made a page in our log book to take names, what and when but not many entries in 3 years.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Dusty Mark » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:06 pm

I saw a T@G and what looked like two home-built "woodies" all on the freeway with none in the five campgrounds I visited. Perhaps there are less in the northeast...

I spoke with a grocery store manager who is in the final stages of his build in Pennsylvania.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 pm

I just got back from a 1300 mile tour of Colorado. I saw one almost every time I looked in the rear view mirror.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Dusty Mark » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:51 pm

I guess I did too! We stopped by Chesapeake Light Craft in Annapolis and got to see their original teardrop. The staff was very friendly.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:08 am

We’ve Never seen a TD around here except from folks that visited … but there must be a Gazillion cargo trailers , a few outfitted with windows and roof ACs could possibly be used for camping … odd eh ? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:55 am

Dusty Mark wrote:I guess I did too! We stopped by Chesapeake Light Craft in Annapolis and got to see their original teardrop. The staff was very friendly.
That trip is on my list. I want to show up on a demo day and see which kit I want to build next.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:44 pm

I feel like TDs are a southwestern and west coast phenomena, and into Rocky Mountain states a little, and rare in Northeast, and farther between in Midwest. Obviously exceptions by predominately.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 pm

We travel between our places in Fl and OH usually 4 times a year. North to south, it's sometimes the eastern route to I-95 in SC, sometimes terribly boring I-75 through GA. 880 mi. either way. Same two routes south-to-north.......We've seen a few tears through the years, but not many. Only one that I was confident was an owner-built. And that one had CA plates. ....jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:35 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I feel like TDs are a southwestern and west coast phenomena, and into Rocky Mountain states a little, and rare in Northeast, and farther between in Midwest. Obviously exceptions by predominately.

I agree and the weird part is too few gatherings, at least in the south half of Calif. I think that it is too easy to head out and find your own niche, be it mountain, beach, desert - just to many choices and too many places to go. We are only spending 70 days camping this year but that's February to November, not everyone has a long camping season so maybe that's a factor. When we looked at getting one, we made the commitment to use it, not store it.
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Bill n Robi wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:I feel like TDs are a southwestern and west coast phenomena, and into Rocky Mountain states a little, and rare in Northeast, and farther between in Midwest. Obviously exceptions by predominately.

I agree and the weird part is too few gatherings, at least in the south half of Calif. I think that it is too easy to head out and find your own niche, be it mountain, beach, desert - just to many choices and too many places to go. We are only spending 70 days camping this year but that's February to November, not everyone has a long camping season so maybe that's a factor. When we looked at getting one, we made the commitment to use it, not store it.

I, too, agree that there seem to be more teardrops in the west, where the weather is better for longer. Also, since a teardrop fits in most garages, you don't see them parked outside. Southern California has better weather than Northern California; but, not by much, at least, in my book. I usually see a couple teardrops every time I go out on the freeway or am on my way to a campground in the mountains. I sometimes see a couple teardrops being pulled on the street that connects my suburb area with the main highways; but, I don't know the people who own them. Most of those units look professionally manufactured. (Rarely, if ever, do I see a tiny travel trailer...makes me feel like a bit of a novelty. HaHa!) Though not as active as Bill and Robi, I try to get out at least once a month (or more) from April to November.

As far as the gatherings go, there are still quite a few; but, some people have broken away from the usual groups and have their own gatherings by private invitation only as space can be limited in the chosen campgrounds.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:31 am

We see more and more each year.
Last trip we saw at least 5 on a 1200 mile return trip.
Besides the ones we saw at the Gathering we were attending.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Noreast » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:47 pm

IDK I live in New Hampshire, travel to Maine often, and I've been seeing teardrops or "ttt's" on a near daily basis since summer season began. (Vacationers i assume)

it's about a 50/50 split between more traditional or commercial styles and the off-road/adventure trailer. Maybe even more of the "adventure" style ones..
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:50 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
Bill n Robi wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:I feel like TDs are a southwestern and west coast phenomena, and into Rocky Mountain states a little, and rare in Northeast, and farther between in Midwest.

As far as the gatherings go, there are still quite a few; but, some people have broken away from the usual groups and have their own gatherings by private invitation only as space can be limited in the chosen campgrounds.

I don't think 'private gatherings' are too common, maybe restrictions as to age, type, etc of TD and tow vehicle and sometimes space available in the campground hosting the event. Hopefully once we are moved to the eastern sierras we can try to set up some gatherings, get something started there. Have some areas to check out that I think might be fun.
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:58 pm

I had this long elaborate sociological reply. ( Quite brilliant, if I may say), But I got timed out. IN a nutshell, it's mostly ( but not all, about regional cultural differences in the US). Us Americans all view things through different lenses & circumstances. That's why we are what we are....We don't want to change that....It's what makes us a great country....though many disagree..........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion