Wheel lock

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Wheel lock

Postby drhill » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:17 am

NIce! That should work great and look good too once it is painted.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks and they do look good painted. Here are the final pictures of the finished product....less the locks since they haven't gotten here yet.

Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:20 pm

drhill wrote:NIce! That should work great and look good too once it is painted.

I just noticed where you are! I hope to be in your area this time next year with the Wee-Go. We are going to California mid May and working our way up to Alaska. Then back across Canada through Banff and down to Waterton before going back into the states and Glacier sometime late July early August. I was stationed in Alaska back in 76-77. We went to Waterton back in 04 too on the bike. We were camped in East Glacier that time so only got to spend the day there. This time we will get to spend more time there since we will be jeeping and have the Wee-Go.

Bill

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby drhill » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:36 pm

wow, that is a heck of a trip you have planned.!

I just came back from a few days camping (into the mid week camping program now). Lots of people around here go park their trailers on Tues or Wed evening to secure a site for the weekend. Looking at the locks that are being used, any decent deterrent would send the thief's off to look at the big units with the cheap locks on them.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:13 pm

I took my three grandsons camping, off grid, in the NF this past week and left it unguarded for many hours with no protection. I had the awning out, tables set up and all that. If someone wanted to take it, they would have much prep work to do, so as to be able to get it out of the campsite. Now overnite, that might be a different story.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bbrider » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:27 pm

drhill wrote:wow, that is a heck of a trip you have planned.!

I just came back from a few days camping (into the mid week camping program now). Lots of people around here go park their trailers on Tues or Wed evening to secure a site for the weekend. Looking at the locks that are being used, any decent deterrent would send the thief's off to look at the big units with the cheap locks on them.

Thanks! We have done a lot of traveling over the past 30 years, mostly motorcycle & camping. Never for more than 2 weeks at a time and have traveled around the USA in all types of weather and conditions. For the most part without any real problems. So this is something we have talked about for years. It may be our coup de gras trip. That one time thing never to be repeated. We have talked about what it would be like to be snowbirds and move between two locations every year after retirement too. This will be a test for what our future holds I guess.

Bill
KB5BIL

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:19 pm

bbrider wrote:
drhill wrote:wow, that is a heck of a trip you have planned.!

Thanks! We have done a lot of traveling over the past 30 years, mostly motorcycle & camping. Never for more than 2 weeks at a time and have traveled around the USA in all types of weather and conditions. For the most part without any real problems. So this is something we have talked about for years. It may be our coup de gras trip. That one time thing never to be repeated. We have talked about what it would be like to be snowbirds and move between two locations every year after retirement too. This will be a test for what our future holds I guess.

Bill
KB5BIL

We too have talked about wintering over in Fla. We are going to put our lake front property in VA up for sale soon and significantly downsize. 3800 SF is way too much for empty nesters.

Check out the TearJerkers event coming up next February, http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... 08a1b08984.

It might be something you would benefit from and many others have said it is a great time.

We have sites reserved already and either before or after the event, we will spend time further South in Fla and look for options for the future. These could range from wintering over to moving full time to Florida. The camper we would save and use if we lived there full time. But I would be giving up a lot of outdoor stuff (mainly hunting) if I left the four seasons geographic areas.

Decisions, decisions, but then again the good thing is that we can still do these things
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bbrider » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:15 am

[/quote]

We too have talked about wintering over in Fla. We are going to put our lake front property in VA up for sale soon and significantly downsize. 3800 SF is way too much for empty nesters.

Check out the TearJerkers event coming up next February, http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... 08a1b08984.

It might be something you would benefit from and many others have said it is a great time.

We have sites reserved already and either before or after the event, we will spend time further South in Fla and look for options for the future. These could range from wintering over to moving full time to Florida. The camper we would save and use if we lived there full time. But I would be giving up a lot of outdoor stuff (mainly hunting) if I left the four seasons geographic areas.

Decisions, decisions, but then again the good thing is that we can still do these things[/quote]

Don't hunt anymore myself. Moved to the big city and got too many other hobbies. I still shoot at the range on occasion though. I lived in Florida "Santa Rosa Island" for almost 2 years back in the 70's when I was stationed there in the AF. We don't swim any. I can, but the wife doesn't. We love the mountains and hiking so Florida is pretty much off our list of places to go. Most of it is just to commercial anyway. We don't do crowds either lol.

Good luck with whatever your decision. Oh and I signed up for the TJ forum too. Thanks for the tip. Just waiting for the approval now.

Bill

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby pralfred » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:34 pm

There are some great ideas for security on this thread. I was thinking of using a bicycle wheel lock like in one of the photos shared, as well as the hitch jack with a padlock. Seems like a pretty easy set up that will deter most from stealing your tear.

I had an idea while reading this thread though. Since I'm putting electric brakes on my trailer, and I'm installing a brakeaway switch just in case, wouldn't that technically work as a theft-deterrent given that once I detach the trailer from the bike the electric brakes will auto-lock? Someone would have to have the right wiring harness to attach the brakeaway switch to to get the brakes to release, if I understand it correctly. Perhaps it's one more reason to install a breakeaway switch?
"While there is tea, there is hope." --Sir Arthur Pinero
pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lesbest » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:49 pm

A bar with a "knot" or ball on the end that goes from the outside in, one for each side. The inside of the bar has a hole for your lock, 2 bars, 2 holes, 1 lock. Bars could be round, flat, square, any length as long as they meet somewhere under the trailer to put the lock in. Locking lug nuts come in a 4 pack for the car......2 per wheel on the trailer.
Just thinking out loud.
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby PanelDeland » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:01 pm

For another type of security there's a GPS locator. It's a small waterproof plastic box. It can be placed anywhere. I haven't done the research yet but I was talking to a fellow old vehicle nut and he showed me his. It was in the toolbox on his truck and he took it out and laid it on the radiator support. 2-3 min later he got an update on his phone. It said, "the asset has been moved, gave a map with location. The unit is big enough for 3 AAA batteries and a small electronic board, waterproof and says it needs line of sight but it did ping him again after he put it back in the aluminum toolbox and again when he moved it to under his seat. He told me the unit costs about $100 thru Amazon and IIRC the subscription was like $7 a month. The thing I liked is that if his truck (or whatever asset you put it in) is stolen, you call 911 and tell them, "My "X" was stolen, my locator says it's been moved to "Y" and I am going to get it, would you send an officer so I don't have to use my CCP?" It has adjustments for distance it can be moved before pinging (like for use in a moored boat where it might move 5-8 ft). For the work and effort many put into their tears, it seems like it would be a cheap bit of insurance. In fact, if your trailer is insured against theft, it would probably qualify you for a price break. The batteries need changing every 6 months or so but I don't think that's too much trouble for the security. I'm guessing that since it's a self contained unit, you could actually use it for several toys though I don't know what it takes to reset the adjustment. I worked hard for what I got, over the years I've had some of it taken and I don't plan on letting that happen again. It wont keep them from taking it but it will keep them from keeping it and stop them from being free to do it again if you prosecute.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby Pinstriper » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:03 pm

pralfred wrote:There are some great ideas for security on this thread. I was thinking of using a bicycle wheel lock like in one of the photos shared, as well as the hitch jack with a padlock. Seems like a pretty easy set up that will deter most from stealing your tear.

I had an idea while reading this thread though. Since I'm putting electric brakes on my trailer, and I'm installing a brakeaway switch just in case, wouldn't that technically work as a theft-deterrent given that once I detach the trailer from the bike the electric brakes will auto-lock? Someone would have to have the right wiring harness to attach the brakeaway switch to to get the brakes to release, if I understand it correctly. Perhaps it's one more reason to install a breakeaway switch?
It doesn't take much to just pull a teardrop, wheels turning or not. Once out of the immediate vicinity pull over and snip the wires at the hubs or even just rip them loose by hand.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Pinstriper wrote:
pralfred wrote:There are some great ideas for security on this thread. I was thinking of using a bicycle wheel lock like in one of the photos shared, as well as the hitch jack with a padlock. Seems like a pretty easy set up that will deter most from stealing your tear.

It doesn't take much to just pull a teardrop, wheels turning or not. Once out of the immediate vicinity pull over and snip the wires at the hubs or even just rip them loose by hand.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

And with dual axles CTs, one can jack the wheels up onto dollies and do the lock removals later. All methods can slow a theft done, but not really stop it all the time. That is whay I like the lock due diligence along with a "Tracer" of sorts. Annual costs are what hold me back.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby JaggedEdges » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Some good ideas here, do remember however to make your deterrent devices highly visible, they are a liability if the sneak thief doesn't see them and attempts to pull trailer away resulting in messed up wheels, axles, springs or whatever.

I might get me a heavy duty chain if I go up into back country, public lands, off grid camping. There's definitely a zone here, within easy drive of Toronto, where people are very possessive of public land camping spots, regarding them as theirs, even though legally they're not allowed on them more than 23 days a year, just like anyone else. So if you leave your small trailer on one and drive out for supplies or trip, you risk Mr "My spot" turning up and dragging it off to god knows where and acting all innocent when you come back... Now these ppl would regard themselves as law abiding maybe, so likely wouldn't saw anything apart, but if it could be dragged on the chains and have the tires skid in the mud, then they're not doing anything wrong in their mind, particularly when you stole "their" spot. Chain it to a tree there and I think you'd be good.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 pm

They are bums, short and sweet. If I were them, I think I would be concerned about what the original site selector would do to my equipment when my back was turned. I personally feel that they must be not allowed to get away with it.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion