Reflectix Insulation Test

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Reflectix Insulation Test

Postby Cosmo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:33 am

I have had good results adding a layer of Reflectix to a cooler which extended ice longevity. I am planning to apply it to a fridge to help save energy, but I was wondering how effective it actually is.

This person did some informal test measurements and provides some data to chew on. For those in a hurry the results are discussed at the 11 min 9 second point

If you accept the results, it looks like Reflectix does indeed provide SOME insulation. Considering the weight, cost, thickness and convenience, Reflectix may be of interest to some people seeking just a little insulation assistance in a limited space situation. The reflective surface may help more in a situation where the cooler/fridge is actually exposed to the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epxt30Ws9xE

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Re: Reflectix Insulation Test

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:48 pm

I played around with it once when using a toaster oven and a termocouple, 1 layer -= roughly 25% heat blocking two layers =50% (before the plastic melted). I used some on the outside of our Waeco/Dometic CF50 refrigerator to reflect heat and reduce load on the battery/solar when boondocking.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:19 pm

• I've experimented with a.) mylar-faced reflective denim insulation (Ultratouch) http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61135, and b.)expanded polystyrene foam insulation (Owens Corning Foamular) http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68543&hilit=failed+experiment, with mixed results. High-end coolers, like Yeti, have thick insulation as their secret to keep cool over prolonged periods, Using that principle, I chose to increase the thickness of insulation already provided by two different coolers (actually three, as it turned out) by adding an outer insulating layer (or more). I chose the best materials I had, which are listed with low coefficients of heat transfer, cotton wool (chopped denim is similar), and expanded polystyrene (rigid, pink foam).
  • coefficient of heat transfer (k).PNG
    coefficient of heat transfer (k).PNG (72.39 KiB) Viewed 578 times
    the best common insulators I had
  • a.) Sure, wrapping a cooler with a reflective radiant barrier will reflect some heat away from a cooler, and dense insulation tries to keep the cold inside, but unless you encase the cooler in several inches of insulation, it only slows it down a little. I used one layer of the Ultratouch all around my cooler (Coleman Extreme), and even had it sitting on an extra layer of insulation on a raised storage shelf/table that would further separate it from heat transfer from below. Even under my canopy, the experiment wasn't successful, even though the cooler remained closed for the entire duration of the test. Ambient temperatures were too great to overcome, as usual in N. Texas.
  • Ultratouch experiment.jpg
    Ultratouch experiment.jpg (117.95 KiB) Viewed 578 times
    single thickness of insulation not enough
  • b.) My cooler in a cooler experiment wasn;t tested in the outdoors, but in a constant temperature inside. Using two inches of pink foam, Great Stuff spray foam and foil tape to seal voids, and with EPDM foam seals, it fared better, but not up to the (claimed) standards of the high-end Yeti-type coolers.
  • second cooler experiment.jpg
    second cooler experiment.jpg (168.19 KiB) Viewed 578 times
    better results, but will more insulation help?
  • Perhaps, combining materials used in both prior cooler experiments, a + b, might be the ticket for my goal of keeping just a small amount of perishables cool enough for a 3-4 day trip, Otherwise, I'll have to go with high-end coolers, or add refrigeration to my trailer, both of which will be expensive. P.S. I didn't try Reflectix, because the only product I had was their double-reflective "bubble" wrap. I use it under my roof as insulation, but to get effectiveness from it, I should have to wrap several layers of it to achieve the insulation of the other materials I sourced locally, or had on hand.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:25 pm

It would have been interesting if you could have also tested it "aged". I believe a layer of dust will diminish or significantly diminish its insulative value.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:44 am

Thank You for sharing your research. I wish I had the space to do the impressive insulation that 1 Grand did I just don’t have the room.

When deciding between a fridge and cooler I called Yeti and asked for the R value of their cooler - they refused to give it to me. This guy built his own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKYjeyuO4oE

I was planning the same Reflectix method Shadow Catcher has done. One question: It looks like the Reflectix is applied to the side with the motor. My fridge is smaller but same configuration. I was wondering if I should insulate that side (leaving the air vents open of course) because it may retain more heat from the motor. Any opinions on that? I have not examined my fridge recently and maybe the heat generation stops at the air vent level.

Thanks
Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion