SnowLizard's Desert Build TTT

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

SnowLizard's Desert Build TTT

Postby SnowLizard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:06 am

Hello,

*****I'll be updating this post as plans change******

Been poking around for a while, and I'm gonna start my build thread. Still in planning stage and don't have much to really commit to... there is so many idea's here, it easily gives me a headache. I've looked at all TTT's that are pre-built and don't want to spend the 25k+ to have the features/comforts that we want... so I'm going to build it :D budget is a realistic 8k, although I hope I can squeeze it down to 5k with smart shopping.

Purpose...
Family camping with a nice bed to sleep in so my wife can re-coupe from travels and my bad back. this trailer is to help us recover as we travel, so we aren't stuck at home.
We also are to bring our furry shadows, and need room for their massive size.

here's the plan so far...

4.5' tall x 11' long x 5'4" wide

I have a long way to go.
starting from the back to the front...
ARB 50 Qt fridge on sliders can fit under that counter, it's maybe only 2 inches deeper, and the electrical will be on a center console that will have other parts in it, like the water pump.
nice deep counter, we tend to bring alot of food, and want a nice counter to use. the top shelf when open is more for placing things out of the way, like a cell phone... plugs will be made available.

the bed is a 6'6" x 5' queen, memory foam, 6 inch thick, we might have to go 8. the bottom of the door is 4inch from the floor, if 8 inch will raise the door higher.
the bottom front area will be for the dogs... our future dog will be 32inch tall at the shoulders... and a top bunk that is 18 inches high for our daughter. later a shelf/cabnitry

fantasic fan will fit semi in the top cabinets... inside infront of the elec cabinet
the bulkhead will have an electrical cuby like in the pic below...

Wall construction is 2": 3/4 birch outside, routed 1/4 inch on all bulkheads (53 inches wide) then 1' foam/sticks and 1/4 inside skin.
Floor construction is 1 3/4': alum sheet + 1/4' bottom layer + 3/4' foam/sticks + 3/4 top birch with 1/4' route grooves for bulkheads
Roof construction is 1 1/2': 1/4 bottom layer, reaches outside 3/4 birch + 1 foam/stick + 1/4 birch

a RTT will be bolted on top when our daughter is older, so i want the tank feel... although I am thinking 1/2 might suffice. still want the bulk head to be routed into the side walls with glue and screws.

the entire trailer will be skinned in alum, and painted 'toyota desert dune'...

will have a front tongue box...
24x24x60 under bed truck box... front swing doors... really like this box.
https://www.pickupspecialties.com/toolb ... _door.html
will hold the dual grp 27 batteries, solar controller and 110v inverter, will also have a shore power going through it's wall.

the side insulation will NOT continue into the cabinets OR the galley... only the main sleeping sides roof and floor and dog area.

we are planning on getting the 5k btu air ducted AC... https://climateright.com/air-conditioni ... ter-2.html
we know the costs, don't want to hear it. our concerns outweigh the costs.

Suspension: Timbren #3500 4" lift spindles with #2000 springs, with brakes! will have front cross beam to help stiffen. hope to set the frame 21" off the ground.

Water tank...
36 Gal RV Tank (46L x 36W x 6H)
PRODUCT NUMBER RVB428
Capacity: 36 Gallons
Weight: 25 lbs
this will fit between the axleless suspension.
will have own skid plate

frame:
3x2 sides, 2x2 center braces, 3x2 Arms 4x2 center tongue... 16'2" (picture frame not to scale) front area will be meshed for the AC to sit on when in use.

the floor will be carriage bolted to tabs welded on the inside of the frame, I don't mind seeing them in the TT cabin...

okay, enough :stompspam:

****I'll be updating this post as plans change.****

SnowLizard from AZ
SnowLizard
Teardrop Inspector

Re: SnowLizard's Desert Build TTT

Postby SnowLizard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:24 am

So I have a different door, i'll be a gull-wing door, mostly because we will have a dog door + ramp in front (dog area) and don't want the door to interfer... also having it gall-wing gives rain protection. I'm cool with that.

do I need 2inch thick doors?
do I need to insulate it?

handles? Im thinking of going simple... a dead-bolts and a RV handle...
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/sr/zPlatform ... egoryid=21
and
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlatform ... formid=152

simple, 1.5" min door thickness... can use "T" alum to get a bevel like the square doors...

just an idea.
SnowLizard
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion