Any one watch the solar eclipse today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Any one watch the solar eclipse today

Postby kramergwt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Just watched from the house in Austin. Didn't really notice a huge difference. Watched it with a homemade pinhole camera. The totality belt was nowhere near me though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Big crowd at the football field across from the library. Otherwise pretty quiet. 8)

"slowcowboy wrote:
So what happens if Wyoming has forest fire smog?.?. Lots of butt hurt people...???."

Hope there were no reports of "butt hurt people" in Pavillion. :frightened:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JohnnyG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:32 pm

There was an eclipse?
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 pm

We camped in what I believe was probably the lowest-density of eclipsers between the Pacific and Wyoming. Nobody within a half mile. (Backs side of Mount Borah, Idaho.)

When the totality rolled in, I think it was probably the most amazing natural event I've ever seen. It got cold and dark and the stars were out.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:46 pm

kramergwt wrote:Just watched from the house in Austin. Didn't really notice a huge difference. Watched it with a homemade pinhole camera. The totality belt was nowhere near me though.
  • I also watched the eclipse with my wife, while tearing out the front yard shrubs to make room for the home demolition company, in a coupla weeks (old house -out, new house -in). I retrieved my welding helmet, cleaned the lens and automatic dimmer sensor, got my darkest, best pair of sunglasses, and observed the spectacle, off-and-on for the duration. I used sunglasses inside the helmet, because even at the highest setting, shade 13, I wasn't taking chances staring at the Sun; I read that shade 14 was recommended for viewing the eclipse.
  • Northern Tool auto-darkening welding helmet.PNG
    Northern Tool auto-darkening welding helmet.PNG (197.23 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
    probably dark enough by itself?
  • I can't remember particular events like this, but in my lifetime, in Texas, I have had the opportunity to observe quite a few partial ones, though I can't say which, or if they were of the same degree of totality. In any case, it's worth watching.
  • partial eclipses I might have seen in my lifetime.PNG
    partial eclipses I might have seen in my lifetime.PNG (33.42 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
    I was probably working inside for most of these events
  • I can't guarantee I'll be around for the next one, where a path of totality will be very near me in DFW, but if I am, and the weather cooperates, I'll be watching the sky on that day: April 8, 2024.
  • the next eclipse will be better in TX,  April 2024.png
    the next eclipse will be better in TX, April 2024.png (912.93 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
    it will definitely be within driving range next time
Last edited by working on it on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:52 pm

just got back from Idaho.

All I can say, If you ever get a chance to see a total eclipse, take. It is/was awesome. :D :) 8)

I'll post more details tomorrow.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 pm

All I can say, If you ever get a chance to see a total eclipse, take. It is/was awesome

I concur. Amazing. Sure wasn't expecting the temperature drop.

Tony :?
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Loren » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 pm

yup, the rapid coolth surprised me also- also, it got really quiet here, around Boise, ID- then all back to normal- the sky did not fall
Loren
Loren
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:06 am

Up here in the great white north, I was in the dentist's chair getting a root canal during it. it was only 75% up here, and I'd already seen a total eclipse in my home town over a decade ago. (they wouldn't let the kids out of school, of course, as one of the kids, I snuck out anyhow). I remember it being like it was dusk except it was'nt. Really weird.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Philip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:06 am

I was outside the totality path. The wife and I had thought about driving down into IL and watching. Sunday evening news said I70 was bumper to bumper traffic. So we decided to stay home it wasn't worth fighting that type of traffic. I70 when it turns into a parking lot isn't fun. :lol:

We had between 50% to 75% where I live. The 2024 event comes threw Indy. I will be there for that one.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby low277 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:32 pm

I was a couple miles north of Alliance Nebraska, It was a awesome experience! Before and after totality the light seemed to be a different color? Maybe more in the blue range??? Reminded me of high temperature fluorescent lamps 6000 kelvin or higher. Temperature dropped!! It was amazing how little of the visible sun could produce that amount of light. During totality it got dark, it was pretty flat were I was so there was some light on the horizons. I bet in a valley it would be really dark.

I will seriously look into the Texas to Maine one in 2024? I will be better prepared!!!
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Wolfgang92025 wrote:just got back from Idaho.

All I can say, If you ever get a chance to see a total eclipse, take. It is/was awesome. :D :) 8)

I'll post more details tomorrow.

He are the details....

Wife, 2 canine kids and I decided to head out Saturday morning to the Little Lost River valley (just north of Howe, ID) and camp on BLM land on top of the mountains.
But the vehicle could not handle the rough dirt/gravel road. So we camped next to the little lost river in the valley with few other camps scatter every few 100 yards or so.

Camp

Late Saturday while making dinner II see a teardrop driving by in the distance on a dirt road off in the distance.
15 minutes later see him again going down another dirt road. Another 10 minutes passes and he stops next to our camp.
A guy steps out and I introduce myself. His reply was you look just like your picture on the forum.
It's "Captain Telescope" looking for "Wolffarmer". Told him I had not seen Randy, but we had plenty of space and he was welcome to stay.
Brad choose to stay and I send a text to Randy letting him know were we have set up camp.
Sunday Randy got a hold of us and and we ran into him on the highway heading back from the nearest store about 25 miles away.

Arco, Idaho. First city powered by atomic energy

Number Mountain

He was on the way to met Rob. So we ended up with four teardrops in camp. :D 8)

Old guys waiting for the show to begin.

Near the total eclipse the shadows lost their clear crisp edge.

Fotos of the partial did not turn out. But.....

These did :thumbsup: :applause:

Close up

And the suns rays are just braking through again.

What a great weekend.

Can't wait till 2024 to do it all again.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:41 pm

I watched from a teardrop gathering in Shaniko Oregon
Had a great time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:12 am

Brad does show up in the most peculiar places.
He has seen some miles this year, and will have some great campfire stories to tell.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby RonS » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Was very much a disappointing non event here in central PA. Throw in a mostly cloudy sky and it was really a let down. Did get to at least get a glimpse of it, but the rain later in the day made things darker than the eclipse did. Wish I'd have had the vacation time to have been able to take off and hit an unpopulated spot along the path of totality.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion