sock trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

sock trailer

Postby saywhatthat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Sold the truck to pay for remodeling house. So no time to finish trailer are tow as planed. Thinking of adding a sock tent to cover the back opening and sides. That cut down on the weight. Time to complete.
My thinking is sew two windows in. Are mount my wily window with stapes .
What your thoughts. May take a day are two to get back on the web so thank you ahead of time [img147752][/img
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Re: sock trailer

Postby JaggedEdges » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:30 pm

What I'd do is get UV resistant tarps (i,e, not the super cheap blue and green ones, though some double sided may be okay.) and self adhesive zippers, make zipper doors and windows on it... roll up flap for windows, screen on the back.

Would maybe last a couple of years, or halfway there on the first trip out if you try to tow above 60mph.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby saywhatthat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Thank you for the fast reply. My very though.
Il suffit de le faire

saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:50 am

Sorta’ like a “Hard Tent” eh ??? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:15 am

:thinking: I think I would finish that flat roof part with something solid, maybe a couple 1x1' boards from side to side and a sheet of foam, glued fabric and paint. This is because a plastic sheet on a flat roof surface like that, with very little support, will quickly begin to sag. If rain comes, it will settle in the sagging area and make things even worse and the plastic will eventually leak or break. That's my opinion.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby WizardOfOdds » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:18 pm

S. Heisley wrote::thinking: I think I would finish that flat roof part with something solid, maybe a couple 1x1' boards from side to side and a sheet of foam, glued fabric and paint. This is because a plastic sheet on a flat roof surface like that, with very little support, will quickly begin to sag. If rain comes, it will settle in the sagging area and make things even worse and the plastic will eventually leak or break. That's my opinion.

I agree with Sharon's suggestion. I tried a tarp with and without a plywood subsurface. Without the plywood, support was under the (8 foot long) center line and along the 4 edges. There are (5+ foot long) cross members about 32 inches apart, but they are about a half inch below the stretched tarp top. This works great when the roof is elevated (tipped), but water can form shallow pools when the top is in the horizontal (closed for travel) configuration. So on the rare times the unit is stored closed, I lower the tongue to slope the roof enough to spill water forward. The roof is horizontal when towing, but highway speed blows the water off.

My tops were well stretched and did not "quickly begin to sag", in fact they never did. I tried tops with and without anchoring along the center line. Tops without the center anchor would display some rise during tow at very fast highway speed, but even after hours of such 'stretching', the top did not sag when we reached our destination. When the center was anchored along the center it was rock solid on and off the highway. They 'bounce to the touch', but standing water is never a good idea for any roof.

UV damage is a concern. Over one winter (Oct-May) I used a cheap blue tarp as a temporary roof, and kept the top raised pointing due south to gather as much sun as possible. To no surprise, the UV took its toll on the tarp seams. I replaced it with a (10 mil) reflective tarp which lasted from May 2015 thru July 2017. I have been told that painting the tarp would prolong its life.
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Wizard of Odds idea of lowering the front end of the trailer so that the roof allows the water to run off is a good one. :thumbsup:
That will help a lot.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby saywhatthat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:04 pm

Thank you for all the great post The top and front to back to the doors are 1/4" woodply .Will need to do the back and sides. GYW " Sorta’ like a “Hard Tent” eh .Haft of it. Need to do something .Building constable want's it removed from site
Il suffit de le faire

saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion