neglected TT,our home for awhile (w/blackwater problem)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: neglected TT,our home for awhile (w/blackwater problem)

Postby working on it » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am

working on it wrote: from another thread... when we emptied the old house, we moved the wireless router into my 3-bay steel garage, just behind the trailer. Anytime we needed to use wifi on our phones (and later on our laptops, after we retrieved them from a storage pod), we had to open the garage door to improve our connection. That wasn't good, as we had furniture packed in the garage, that would get wet if it was raining, and we also needed to keep it closed when the dogs were loose in the compound (hazardous chemicals in the garage).[*]Once we had electricity hooked up in the new house, I had AT&T move the router back inside, into my new corner office/dayroom, and out of the metal "Faraday cage" garage. Immediately, my laptop in the trailer had a much better connection, and my new Samsung S7 too, though it still loses connections periodically. When using my devices, I sit at the trailer's dinette, where the streetside wall, refrigerator, and water heater block direct wireless contact with the router (which I can see thru the house window if I peer out the trailer window over the sink, a mere 65 ft. away). So, I just bought a wifi range extender (TP-Link AC1200) from Amazon, and I'll pair it up with the router, then put it in the trailer on the nightstand, where it will have a clear line-of-sight with the router in the house. It should help, if only for a short while....
  • I received it yesterday, and set it up after my back started giving out when moving the fill dirt. It took me three attempts to get it to link up with my router, using the WPS button on the router, and the RE button on the extender. Then, after pairing them, I took the extender to the trailer, set it up on the nightstand where it had only the blinds & window glass between it and the router in the house (blinds and window glass there, also), and not the aluminum skin.
  • My S7 phone immediately had a better wifi connection, as shown by a Meteor app speed test. where it previously only had marginal upload and download speeds, now they rate "awesome" or "very good" on the tests. Even though this is a just a temporary fix for my trailer stay, when I move it into the house, I'll put it in the central living room to make wifi reception stronger on the other end of the house. My next electronics purchase will be an AT&T Microcell unit, to get better phone reception (we only get one or two bars on our phones, and we've done away with our landline).
  • range extender TP-Link AC 1200 (RE380D).png
    range extender TP-Link AC 1200 (RE380D).png (331.98 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
  • microcell.JPG
    microcell.JPG (76.35 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 pm

• Propane gas leak detector. Good or bad, I don't know, but when it started sounding off, I turned off the gas and emptied the trailer of dogs. Even after 15 minutes, with no gas on, the door and windows open, and a fan blowing out the door, it was still sounding off. I couldn't reset or mute it, so I disconnected it, took it out to my truck, where I hooked it to the battery (12vdc sensor). It still was going off, 30 minutes later. Guess it went bad, seven years after the "replace date" printed on it. But, fearful of a gas explosion, I left the gas shut off, and still thought I smelled gas anyway, even when I went into the new house, which is all-electric...my imagination gets the best of me, again. I ordered a replacement sensor, to be here in two days; until then, no hot water in the trailer...just another incentive to get the fence up, faster.
  • RV Propane Leak Detector.JPG
    RV Propane Leak Detector.JPG (90.08 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
    should've replaced the old one in 2010
P.S., 12-12-2017 The leak detector has been replaced, and the gas turned back on; problem solved. Sure glad it was the sensor, and not an actual propane leak.
Last edited by working on it on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:21 pm

• I hope this is the last post I will make from this travel trailer...at least on this thread, and as my residence. Today, with help from my wife, I put up a 5 ft high wire fence to replace the back and side yards' fencing I tore down in September, to make room for the new house to be installed. Now, I can let the dogs out of the "dog pound" fenced area in my driveway, and back into the yards next to the house. My wife has the interior almost dog-proof (with baby-gates, and some Ikea floor shelving units to block dogs from the carpeted areas), so they can move to the house from the trailer, and so can I.
  • I barely finished the initial assembly of the fence (adjustments and tightening will come later) when it started raining, It has been raining hard for hours now, and that may delay the move to the house, at least until proper mats are put down, but that will be by tomorrow night. I just hope the rain will not loosen the T-posts I used on the sandy loam side, but it will just make the posts firmer on the clay side, after it dries. So, I will be in the house for Christmas, after all.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 am

The light at the end of the tunnel !!! :thumbsup: Merry Christmas …. !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Have a Happy Holiday. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 pm

working on it wrote:
  • I hope this is the last post I will make from this travel trailer...at least on this thread, and as my residence. Today, with help from my wife, I put up a 5 ft high wire fence to replace the back and side yards' fencing I tore down in September, to make room for the new house to be installed. Now, I can let the dogs out of the "dog pound" fenced area in my driveway, and back into the yards next to the house. My wife has the interior almost dog-proof (with baby-gates, and some Ikea floor shelving units to block dogs from the carpeted areas), so they can move to the house from the trailer, and so can I.
  • I barely finished the initial assembly of the fence (adjustments and tightening will come later) when it started raining, It has been raining hard for hours now, and that may delay the move to the house, at least until proper mats are put down, but that will be by tomorrow night. I just hope the rain will not loosen the T-posts I used on the sandy loam side, but it will just make the posts firmer on the clay side, after it dries. So, I will be in the house for Christmas, after all.
  • As promised. I moved myself and the dogs into the house today. Everything is suitably arranged for them, so they have plenty of room to roam, and two of them to sleep in my office, while three dogs will be in the master bedroom with us, at night. I've got most of my personal stuff unpacked, and 3/4 of my clothes hanging in my office closet (she totally filled the walk-in closet with her clothes), and will start arranging it better tomorrow.
  • My rushed work to spread the select fill into areas behind the fence, the erecting of the fence, and moving my stuff int the house has really worked me over. My hands and fingers are swollen, my legs/knees are cramping up, and my shoulders and chest are aching from driving the T-posts into hard ground. I also might have a separated right shoulder (a recurring problem), and a patch of poison ivy rash has re-appeared on my right chest/back/underarm, for no apparent reason. But, at least I get to sleep in a comfortable bed tonight, after 2.25 months in the trailer.
  • This might be my last post on this subject matter. I started it as a sort of "build journal", after failing to do one on my squareback TTT project. I was intending to post a few items I had concern about, to solicit advice/expert opinions from forum members that may have had similar projects/experiences before me. It turned out to be a project report, or blog, with all aspects covered, whether positive or negative, and a running log of what can go wrong while few went right. I hope that anyone with a similar project coming up, can benefit from my chronicle.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:24 am

working on it wrote:... My hands and fingers are swollen, my legs/knees are cramping up, and my shoulders and chest are aching from driving the T-posts into hard ground. I also might have a separated right shoulder (a recurring problem), and a patch of poison ivy rash has re-appeared on my right chest/back/underarm, for no apparent reason. But, at least I get to sleep in a comfortable bed tonight....
  • After I posted the above, I remembered that my father-in-law had a similar rash, but not from poison ivy, but from shingles. I never thought I would get it, but it makes more sense than poison ivy where I never had it before (I do have a recurrent rash on my left arm, from 10 years ago). Besides, there is no foliage of any kind in my front yards, so I couldn't get it - it is my great nemesis, after getting it a coupla times each year, though-.
  • My rash is a band from front-to-back, and it looks the same as his did, and the pictures on the internet, so maybe I've got it (it itches pretty bad, but not as bad as poison ivy). I had mild chickenpox after receiving the vaccine as a kid, so it's a possibility that I have shingles. At 67, I guess I was a likely candidate. Hope it goes away soon. I'll only go to the doctor if it gets worse; when I had chickenpox, I recovered in less than a week, while friends at school still had it two weeks later, as best I can recall, 60 years later.
  • P.S. the comfortable bed didn't help...I couldn't sleep in any position. The leg cramps were the worst. Like I've stated before, this house project is likely to finish me, even at this final stage of moving in.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:07 pm

working on it wrote:...My rash is a band from front-to-back, and it looks the same as his did, and the pictures on the internet, so maybe I've got it (it itches pretty bad, but not as bad as poison ivy). I had mild chickenpox after receiving the vaccine as a kid, so it's a possibility that I have shingles. At 67, I guess I was a likely candidate. Hope it goes away soon. I'll only go to the doctor if it gets worse....
It did get worse, much worse, after my last post. First, I became extremely chilled, but feverish (thermometer still remains packed away, somewhere), and went to bed after my wife got home. I wore three shirts, and used two blankets, but still was frozen. About 10pm, I woke up, with severe back and leg pains, a migraine, and was dizzy (not vertigo). An hour later, I felt better, and warmed up, and returned to bed. About the rash...when I was chilled I didn't notice it much, but when I awoke this morning, it burned like fire all day. My wife insisted I go to my healthcare group's after-hours clinic, after she noted that the rash had doubled in coverage overnight. The doctor took one look at it, and wrote me prescriptions to treat SHINGLES. And yes, it actually burns/itches worse than poison ivy, which I presumed was the ultimate rash.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:44 pm

The chicken pox virus hibernates in your nerve endings, when under enough stress it breaks out. Since it busts open your nerve endings it can be very painful. The itching is due to skin stretching as it tries to heal. You are now contagious for chicken pox. So stay away from the unvaccinated and folks with weak immune systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Looks like no Christmas at the in-laws this year; there will be three infants, six under 10 years, six millennials (one pregnant), my 50-ish wife and sister, and the elderly parents. As far as I know, only the father-in-law has had shingles and vaccination. The doctor said that only direct contact with the rash can infect, but I don't want to take a chance becoming a "Typhoid Mary" with the shingles/chickenpox virus.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

neglected TT,our home for awhile (w/blackwater problem)

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:34 am

Most kids get a chicken pox vaccine, and have since 1995. The first shot is st around 12 to 15 months. So ask them if the have been vaccinated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Lesbest » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Shingles are aggravated by stress. When I had mine the Dr. told me no action movies, no Springer type tv, no CARTOONS (What). Relaxing music, light reading, etc. If they get too bad they can last for months.....I followed his advice and in 3 1/2 weeks they were gone, pain was minimal. Mine felt like I was being stabbed in the back, the rash appeared the next day. When your healed don't bother with the vaccine.....you have enough anti-bodies to last till the last rodeo. Hope your feeling better and have a happy New Year.
Hope this helps, Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:33 pm

• I'm retired, so my stress level is much less than when working, but the last 5 months have been very stressful, just from this house thing. I've been more relaxed the last week or so, since I finally moved myself and the dogs into the new house, and have had no major problems lately, so that helps. But, having really over-worked myself,
    working on it wrote:...My rushed work to spread the select fill into areas behind the fence, the erecting of the fence, and moving my stuff into the house has really worked me over. My hands and fingers are swollen, my legs/knees are cramping up, and my shoulders and chest are aching from driving the T-posts into hard ground. I also might have a separated right shoulder (a recurring problem), and a patch of poison ivy rash has re-appeared on my right chest/back/underarm, for no apparent reason....
    I guess it triggered the shingles outbreak (not poison ivy, as my wife had guessed), and now the shingles are lingering on longer than the Dr. said. I probably will have to refill the prescription for the antibiotic, and see if I can increase the dosage of the shingle-specific pain-killer (Gabapentin).
  • The shingle blisters have scabbed-over, but don't seem to want to go away. And, there are three very sensitive and painful areas that hurt all the time (causing me stress, and problems sleeping). They bother me more than when I first got them, so I'm worried that they may persist for months (I hope not...spring/summertime activities will be curtailed, if so).
  • Shingles pain...forever..JPG
    Shingles pain...forever..JPG (82.01 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
  • If I have this, long-term, at least I'm getting side-benefits in other ways, from using the Gabapentin painkiller. It has reduced my sciatic nerve pain, made my knees less painful, and made my restless-leg syndrome go away. Perhaps, having shingles may be a blessing, but a painful one at that.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:54 am

Lesbest wrote:Shingles are aggravated by stress. When I had mine the Dr. told me no action movies, no Springer type tv, no CARTOONS (What). Relaxing music, light reading, etc. If they get too bad they can last for months.....I followed his advice and in 3 1/2 weeks they were gone, pain was minimal. Mine felt like I was being stabbed in the back, the rash appeared the next day. When your healed don't bother with the vaccine.....you have enough anti-bodies to last till the last rodeo. Hope your feeling better and have a happy New Year.
Hope this helps, Les
  • UPDATE, concerning the SHINGLES situation: Day 25, since the rash appeared, and the itch/pain began. The active virus has come and gone, leaving discolored skin spots behind, where the scabs were. Constant burning/itching from those areas; believe it or not, it grows worse every day. I've tried to relax, and haven't resumed working on
    • (1) closing out the trailer (cleaning it after 3+ months' occupancy by humans and dogs), dumping the blackwater tank for the final time, and replacing the tire that had the valve stem blowout. I also need to move the trailer back to its' storage spot, in my yard/car paddock, so I can get my Chevelle out (my neighbor has a BMW X5 to trade, and will also re-wire my garage - upgrading the service to 60 amps, in exchange-; a good deal for him, as the Chevelle is worth much more, but I want him to use it, as I intended, instead of rotting in my garage)
    • (2) finishing the fence installation, that I hurriedly erected , triggering my shingles outbreak- I presume, from the stressful overwork
    • (3) finishing the unpacking, and assembly/arranging of the spare bedroom and my wife's office
  • In this downtime, I have been sitting in my room/office, just web-browsing and watching movies and videos, trying not to move my right arm much (the most painful and bothersome area is on my right inner-upper arm and armpit), trying to follow Lesbest's advice. I called my primary care doctor, and he said to keep taking the Gabapentin, and come see him if the pain persists after the pills are gone. I am really concerned, so I'm making an appointment for Thursday if possible. I advise everyone to get a shingles shot, and not take a chance like I did.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:28 pm

• It's been two more weeks since my last report on the home front:
    Shingles aftermath: I did go to my primary care physician, and he said it looks like I may have the long-term "posthepetic neuralgia" as the aftermath to my shingles. Oh boy...just what I didn't want. But, he did increase my dosage of the Gabapentin, that has also helped my knee pain, sciatica, and "restless leg" problems as a plus to counter the constant irritation that the shingles left me with. I take just under his recommended dose, but always carry a few "emergency" Gabapentin pills in my Altoids tin, just in case it really start bothering me away from home. I don't drink, nor take any other prescriptions, so there's no chance of bad interactions. Some days it's like fire ant bites on top of a poison ivy rash, and other days it is just a dull itch with occasional sharp pin pricks anywhere my shingles rash affected me. I'm starting to be able to ignore it most of the time, and have started to do more work and get out more frequently. I apply 4% lidocaine (in spray-on and roll-on forms), liberally, three times a day, and it helps too....
    New Home work:
    .....part A: With the pills and lidocaine both helping me, I've resumed working outside, trying to restore our property to a simulacrum of the former home. I've got years of work ahead. I'm still trying to spread out the first truckload of "select fill" dirt (mostly clay and rocks, not as promised), to make a level base for finer soil to go on top (sandy loam mixture), to replace the probably 45-60 cubic yards of soil that the house demolition guys removed. I should have the first load spread out in a week, if I still feel improved health....
    .....part B: On a second sub-project, restoring power to the garage and sheds, I dug a 43+ foot long trench between my outside power box (200 amp service), and the back corner of the garage. The original owner of our old house had put a wire run from the garage's sub-panel down the corner piece of the metal garage, and had directly buried 12 gauge Romex in the soil, as the power feed to the 40 amp sub-panel. He had also directly buried another line to the old shed, also to another 40 amp breaker, but it ceased functioning two years ago, for unknown reasons. Not wanting to chance an underground break to the garage panel feedline, I chose to put UF-B 6/3 cable (w/ 10 AWG ground) inside 1 1/4" pvc conduit, and bury both as insurance against breaks (I'm always driving T-posts in, re-configuring the fences for various reasons...I once severed the underground telephone wire twice in one day; the PO had zig-zagged when burying it...). I bought a trenching spade, and I was able to dig a 43+ foot trench in record time, though carefully, inspecting each square inch J.I.C. the telephone wire was there (it took me twice as long to uncover the broken water line, 2 ft or so, using a hand trowel!), and over two more days I assembled the various cable and conduit pieces to make a protected feedline for my garage (I'll run sub-feeds to my wife's sheds later, from that panel). I bought a 75 ft 6/3 cable from Amazon, but bought NM-B, which my electrical engineer neighbor said would be fine, installed in conduit underground, but I reviewed the NEC and also some insurance claim rejections online, and decided to send back the indoor-rated NM-B, and get the UF-B rated for underground direct burial (I still fed it thru conduit as a fail-safe, in case anyone might dig in the yard, after I'm gone....). I pulled the cable thru the conduit (very difficult; I'll use 2" conduit if ever I do this again), cemented the pvc conduit and fittings, and buried them in place. Until my neighbor can complete the installation for me, as we had agreed/bargained for earlier (we've got a major deal in the works...cars and engines and trailers; him helping me, and I him), I temporarily semi-sealed the open ends of the conduit above ground. I've got 60 amp breakers for both panels standing ready (up from 40 amps...I'll be able to finally use my 220v stick welder, at last), and then it'll be on to another piece of the "new home project" puzzle.
    conduit & cable buried in trench.png
    conduit & cable buried in trench.png (974.72 KiB) Viewed 607 times
    conduit & cable end points.png
    conduit & cable end points.png (785.38 KiB) Viewed 607 times
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion