Shiftable Automatic?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Shiftable Automatic?

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 am

We were involved in an accident that most likely totaled my VW Beetle. Its a holiday weekend so we won't find out for sure til next week. But when a Beetle is standing still and gets plowed into at 60 mph that isn't good for the car. Thankfully we both walked away with no injury just a bit stiff and sore.
So I am looking around to see what is available and what I might want should they total the car (but I really loved my little car and wanted to keep it another 5 to 10 years).
I like a manual tranny, what is the point or advantage of a shiftable automatic? Finding a manual is not very easy. Even the Beetle no longer appears to come in a manual.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Re: Shiftable Automatic?

Postby Florida Native » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:43 am

Glad to hear you are ok! I am a big fan of manual trannies, but my wife really wanted a two pedal car this time though she drives manual very well.

We ended up with a VW GTI with their DSG transmission. If you're not familiar with it, it is basically two wet clutch sequential manual transmissions in one case with computer controlled clutch and shifting.

It is actually quicker acceleration than the manual and is painless commuting in traffic while still being quite fun in manual mode. The paddle shifters are fun in the twisties. My big complaint is that Drive is a little too focused on fuel mileage and Sport is a little too much boy racer, but switching between them works well.

I'm not sure which models it's available in but I know it's in the GTI and R, the AWD version of the Sportwagen and the AllTrack.

It's much better than the traditional torque converter automatic. I'm not 100% sure I would pick it over a manual, but it's a great transmission and the wife is happy so I'm happy.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:16 am

My condolences and glad you are ok. I've looked hard at Subaru Crostrek. Manual and 1500 towing. Kia Soul i think also has a manual option.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Thank you. Sounds like the shift able automatic can be a good option. But I want the 3 peddles. Subaru is one I will look at. Just hoping they don't total my car, despite being 10 years old and 200,000 miles it was in great shape. Just had it repainted and was going to drive it another 10 years.

But we walked away just a bit stiff and sore so can't complain too much.

121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby dancam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:30 pm

What do you want out of the car? What does it need to do? The mazda 2 went to 2011 i think, has a good manual transmission and tows very well even at sustained high speeds. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Since I wanted my car for 10 more years still working on if it's totaled what we want to do. New like the beetle was or low miles lease return like the husbands truck?
Now that he is retired payments or take it from savings (figure we won't get a lot for the beetle if they total it). Small truck? Another small car? Nothing to old or high in miles with a manual tranny and hopefully a sun roof.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 am

Glad you guys are ok! Gotta love cars designed to take a hard hit and those inside can still walk away.

Being an automotive tech for over 15 yrs I can give you the bad news, the beetle is totaled.

Requirements for "totaled:

Damage repair exceeds vehicle value (not what it costs you to fix it, what a profession shop would cost)

Any primary structural damage. Frame/sub frame components that repairs cannot return to within acceptable levels of oem structural designs.

Guaranty rear structure is at least bent. May not be enough alone to deem totaled it is however enough to greatly increase repair costs. With being 10 yrs old and mileage, you could replace it for less than repairs would cost. And thats what insurance companies will look at.

I second VW and their wet clutch transmissions. Those things are awesome. My brother has a passat with that new design. Holy crap is that thing powerful and fun! Only thing its missing is the clutch pedal. And in that car who cares. The electronics do a fine job. Unless your trying to rally race on gravel or something there is no downsides beyond not having the pedal you have to push down.

I miss 3 pedals as well but wife cant drive a clutch. So I would stick with VW and get something with that transmission. Dont think youll miss the pedal after about 5 minutes of manual sport mode.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:11 pm

I used to be a die hard fan of manual gearboxes. Everything we own with 4 wheels now has an automatic of some kind. Even the hard core off road Jeep and the used 996.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby booyah » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:14 am

I'm on my first daily driving automatic since the late 90s, and while I hate it**, I couldn't get anything in my price range with a stick and 7 seats (4th kid did me in)

Its a Kia Sorento v6 AWD, and it shows me exactly how far the Korean cars have come. Its surprisingly nice inside, zippy, smooth shifting, and a 3500lb towing capacity which pulls my teardrop or boat like nothing.

That said, subaru, VW, even some others still will sell you a stick, you just have to look for it. My last car was a 2010 Scion XD with the 5speed manual but it had to come from 200 miles away to get it that way new.

** I should say I love the car, just hate that I have to drive a 7 seat automatic :-)
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby dancam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:32 am

Booyah- the mazda 5 comes in a manual and seats 6 with 3 rows!

dancam
500 Club

Postby kludge » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:59 am

The 2017 Subaru Crosstrek is available with a 6-speed manual now. I think they got rid of the manual for a year or two, but it's back... or so I've heard. 1 & 2 are lower, 4 & 5 are closer, and 6th is still overdrive.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Mazda huh? Will add them to my list. They officially totaled my car which breaks my heart. Bought him new 10 years ago, just got a nice shiny new paint job since I planned to keep him at least 5 or more years. Was going to drive it til it quit. Oh well, we walked away with just a few bruises time to get over it and move on. Mazda and subaru, will check them out.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Not sure about now, but as late as the 2016 model year, Honda offered the Accord in a manual.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby dancam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Doesnt the civic type rice come in manual? Vw gti's were manual.

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:42 pm

PKCSPT wrote:Thank you. Sounds like the shift able automatic can be a good option. But I want the 3 peddles. Subaru is one I will look at. Just had it repainted and was going to drive it another 10 years.

PKCSPT wrote:Since I wanted my car for 10 more years still working on if it's totaled what we want to do. New like the beetle was or low miles lease return like the husbands truck?
Now that he is retired payments or take it from savings (figure we won't get a lot for the beetle if they total it). Small truck? Another small car? Nothing to old or high in miles with a manual tranny and hopefully a sun roof.

PKCSPT wrote:Mazda huh? Will add them to my list. They officially totaled my car which breaks my heart. Bought him new 10 years ago, just got a nice shiny new paint job since I planned to keep him at least 5 or more years. Was going to drive it til it quit. Oh well, we walked away with just a few bruises time to get over it and move on. Mazda and subaru, will check them out.

If the paint job was very recent and you have the reciept the adjuster will bump up the value of your car and pay you more.
Would you buy the same year of beetle again? Lets say its worth $5k (just making up a number) and the insurance will pay you 4k, you ask to buy it back from them for $1000, strip all the good parts off, take the tires and so on, sell it to the scrapyard for $400 and buy another one for $5500 and you have tires and spare parts off your old one.

If not, you said you want something newer. Whats newer to you? 5 years? (17 years old is new for me, lol).
Does it need to tow? If so how much?

You can get a sedan, hatchback, big car, small car, suv, van or truck in a manual with a sunroof. So if you can narrow down a bit more what you want we can offer better suggestions.

As an fyi fords had major problems with their 'dual clutch' transmissions aka the automated manual. Stay away from the focuses and fiestas with them. I think the dodge darts had issues too. Very basically the transmissions had issues that made the cars nearly undrivable for many people and the dealers couldnt fix it. Shaking, shuddering, not shifting, not going, stalling. Imagine a computer that cant use a clutch pedal, lol.

dancam
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion