'The mix' chalking

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

'The mix' chalking

Postby dancam » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:36 pm

This is still bothering me. As the mix dries i get white powder everywhere. Wondering if i am doing something wrong.
I did 2 coats of the mix on the inside of my tongue box on a thursday i think. On the saterday i did one more coat inside it and then about 5 coats back to back on the outside of it and the lid.
When the mix dried on the inside saterday it left white chalky powder everywhere.
Tuesday i did a second coat on the outside and as it dried i got white powder everywhere.
Is it bad? Am i doing something wrong? Or is it normal?
Minwax helmsman outdoor spar urethane mixed 75/25 with recochem mineral spirits.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Re: 'The mix' chalking

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 am

Those look like little "Fisheyes “ . Which usually happen because of silicone contamination . Did you try wiping them off with a rag and More mineral spirits ?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:11 am

Huh, ok. Not sure how silicon would have gotten on there between the first and second coat but maybe.
I didnt try that, but if/when i use the mix again i will wipe with mineral spirits or something before rolling it on.

dancam
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:27 am

I too think there was some type of contaminate. I'd lean towards the mineral spirits. I know that paint thinner can be a guess as to what they make it from––based on what's available. Mineral spirits are supposedly a more refined mix.

I'd wipe that stuff off and give it another coat but avoid that batch of thinner.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm

tony.latham wrote:I too think there was some type of contaminate. I'd lean towards the mineral spirits. I know that paint thinner can be a guess as to what they make it from––based on what's available. Mineral spirits are supposedly a more refined mix.

I'd wipe that stuff off and give it another coat but avoid that batch of thinner.

Tony
I think Tony is right, that it was a contaminate, perhaps silicon traces, or the type of mineral spirits that you used. I'm unfamiliar with the Recochem product you used, but if you used the odorless, milky white mineral spirits, that would be my first guess, over the silicon. When I used that type of mineral spirits, while testing, it looked a little whitish when dry, and left white residue on my paint brushes, so I used the remainder to kill weeds. Clear, smelly spirits, thinner, and turpentine work much better with good old poly, paint, etc., with oil base, and dry clear. I've never tried using water-based products, nor will, while I can still get the good stuff, nor use the white spirits again.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks. Everywhere it spilled on the floor turned white and it seemed like the first coat was fine, it wasnt till something was coated a second time or was too heavy the first time that it went white. So i would guess its the mineral spirits.
Its very clear, bit smelly, but i have nothing really to compare it too. I got used to it in the shop but it was pretty overpowering for everyone else. I ended up just washing it all with tsp and water (which didnt remove it), scraping it out of the knots and sanding it with 120 grit. Wood got very smooth, just primed it and the paint did not want to stay where it was put. Had to roll it on a lot 'dryer' than im used to and still got some runs. Also my first time using an oil based primer though, maybe they are just like that. Waited almost double the topcoat time and its still nowhere near dry enough though :(

dancam
500 Club

Return to General Discussion