Prepping the trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Prepping the trailer

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:28 am

It may be premature for some but those of you that used your trailer and or camping supplies to help get through the recent storms, is there anything special you did to prepare your rig? Any thing you wish you did?

Full disclosure- I've started a youtube channel, and I hope eventually to get enough views/subscribers to pay for a camping trip. I thought "Prepping your camper" could be a timely topic. ( FWIW I'm up to 10 subscribers and I'm only related to 5 of them!) :R
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Prepping the trailer

Postby friz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 am

Fill my water jug and a cooler and I'm ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby katebatangan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 am

Love this topic! Hopefully you'll get some great responses

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
katebatangan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby les45 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:48 am

I wired up a DC plug-in outlet in order to use my teardrop's battery to charge iphones and ipads. I had previously used only the AC outlets to charge these items while actually camping. Also plugged into house power several days ahead of time to make sure battery was fully charged. Later I fabricated permanent DC/USB outlets inside the camper.

Of course the propane camp stove and battery powered LED lanterns got lots of use during the power outage.
les45
500 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 am

les45 wrote:I wired up a DC plug-in outlet in order to use my teardrop's battery to charge iphones and ipads. I had previously used only the AC outlets to charge these items while actually camping. Also plugged into house power several days ahead of time to make sure battery was fully charged. Later I fabricated permanent DC/USB outlets inside the camper.

Of course the propane camp stove and battery powered LED lanterns got lots of use during the power outage.
I filled the tanks with water, made sure I had full propane, and being HAM operator, I loaded all the radio gear and had food ready to throw in. I didn't evacuate this time, but made sure the trailer would not blow away. Without power and potentially a destroyed home roof, the CTC also would make a great place to stay on property while we make repairs. If both the home and CTC were severely damaged, then, well, it is time to break out the tent. LoL

The CTC has a 500w solar generator and Inverter on board, so it is also a good backup if fuel runs out for the generator. Always will have basic power needs covered until stability restored.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 am

The storm was horrible. I took this two days ago during the height of it. It was brutal... I threw in an extra down comforter... Where the hell is Indian Summer?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:59 pm

I live in Minnesota. We don't bug out. But if I did. I would have 4 good blankets. Cover with as many as required. Sleep on top of the rest. My TD is a foamy with a 2' x 5" solar collector. That is enough to power 2 CPAP's, the fan,tv,and led lights. So power is taken care of. I use a white gas stove for cooking. So If I was to bug out. I would just made sure the kitchen stuff is in the TD, pick up 2 cases of water, ice? and some food. No need for shore power.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:54 am

Finally posted my “prepping” video. https://youtu.be/u_Tx6blpglk
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 am

Hi Tony
Just one week before that picture, we were in Idaho floating down the Snake River in Hells Canyon.
Air Temps were in the mid 80s and water was 72 degrees. :roll:
We must have got out of there just in time???? :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Vedette wrote:Hi Tony
Just one week before that picture, we were in Idaho floating down the Snake River in Hells Canyon.
Air Temps were in the mid 80s and water was 72 degrees. :roll:
We must have got out of there just in time???? :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

I think you did. I saw lots of float boats coming through "River City" during this stormy weather and wasn't jealous.

I assume your Hell's Canyon trip was great!

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 pm

We live in an area not likely to have serious problems, NW Ohio. However Compass Rose is set up for serious boondocking and always has bedding and some food. Solar powers Radio, XM, weather radio, charges cell phones, laptop, battery charger for flashlights refrigerator... Water filters can take water from a lake or stream and make it potable.
My meds are a 90day supply.
I am thinking of buying a case or two of MRE's.
Tow vehicle a Subaru Outback has Micheline all weather tires, and would be gassed up and ready to go.

I grew up tenting and Nancy and I did some wilderness canoe camping, everything went with is an 18'4" Madriver canoe. The teardrop has more room :)
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion