intruder trip alarms for camping security

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

intruder trip alarms for camping security

Postby working on it » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 pm

• There have been many discussions concerning camp safety, bears entering camp, and bear spray to scare them off. And, sometimes, about human intruders entering your camp area. These items can create a loud noise, a powder flash, and should be considered humane to use.
  • Fith Ops perimeter alarms.PNG
    Fith Ops perimeter alarms.PNG (259.05 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
    if I camped in grizzly country, or alone in the boonies, I would use these
  • Non-lethal, loud enough to wake you, and/or scare off intruders into your camp, these are an alternative to using weapons or bear spray, as a first line of defense. Solo campers, women camping alone, boondocking, or for a camp left unattended, these should frighten away all but the most determined intruder (unless they're deaf). Next best thing to Claymores, and not messy like them.
  • Claymore M-18 anti-personnel mine.jpg
    Claymore M-18 anti-personnel mine.jpg (28.97 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
    a more direct deterrent, but there's a messy clean-up after use
  • Here's a link to using them, with a purchase link inside the video https://youtu.be/iJBezRwxhXA
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: intruder trip alarms for camping security

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 pm

"You're the security for those simstim kids," the pale man said, putting one of the drinks down on Turner's table. "Alfredo told me." Alfredo was one of the hotel bartenders.

Turner looked up at the man, who was evidently sober and seemed to have all the confidence in the world. "I don't think we've been introduced," Turner said, making no move to accept the proffered drink.

"It doesn't matter," Conroy said, seating himself, "we're in the same ball game." He seated himself.

Turner stared. He had a bodyguard's presence, something restless and watchful written in the lines of his body, and few strangers would so casually violate his private space.

"You know," the man said, the way someone might comment on a team that wasn't doing particularly well in a given season, "those seismics you're using really don't make it. I've met people who could walk in there, eat your kids for breakfast, stack the bones in the shower, and stroll out whistling. Those seismics would say it never happened." He took a sip of his drink. "You get A for effort, though. You know how to do a job."

The phrase "stack the bones in the shower," was enough. Turner decided to take the pale man out.

"Look, Turner, here's your leading lady." The man smiled up at Jane Hamilton, who smiled back, her wide blue eyes clear and perfect, each iris ringed with the minute gold lettering of the Zeiss Ikon logo. Turner froze, caught in a split-second look of indecision. The star was close, too close, and the pale man was rising

"Nice meeting you, Turner," he said. "We'll get together sooner or later. Take my advice about those seismics; back 'em up with a perimeter of screamers." And then he turned and walked away, muscles rolling easily beneath the crisp fabric of his tan shirt.
Last edited by John61CT on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:23 pm

John61CT wrote:"You're the security for those simstim kids," the pale man
said, putting one of the drinks down on Turner's table. "Alfredo told me." Alfredo was one of the hotel bartenders.

Turner looked up at the man, who was evidently sober and seemed to have all the confidence in the world. "I don't think we've been introduced," Turner said, making no move to accept the proffered drink.

"It doesn't matter," Conroy said, seating himself, "we're in the same ball game." He seated himself.

Turner stared. He had a bodyguard's presence, something restless and watchful written in the lines of his body, and few strangers would so casually violate his private space.

"You know," the man said, the way someone might comment on a team that wasn't doing particularly well in a given season, "those seismics you're using really don't make it. I've met people who could walk in there, eat your kids for breakfast, stack the bones in the shower, and stroll out whistling. Those seismics would say it never happened." He took
a sip of his drink. "You get A for effort, though. You know how to do a job."

The phrase "stack the bones in the shower," was enough.
Turner decided to take the pale man out.

"Look, Turner, here's your leading lady." The man smiled up at Jane Hamilton, who smiled back, her wide blue eyes clear and perfect, each iris ringed with the minute gold lettering of the Zeiss Ikon logo. Turner froze, caught in a split-second look of indecision. The star was close, too close,
and the pale man was rising

"Nice meeting you, Turner," he said. "We'll get together sooner or later. Take my advice about those seismics; back 'em up with a perimeter of screamers." And then he turned and walked away, muscles rolling easily beneath the crisp fabric of his tan shirt.
  • “it involved the idea that people who were genuinely dangerous might not need to exhibit the fact at all, and that the ability to conceal a threat made them even more dangerous.” _ William Gibson, Count Zero
  • "the hint of possible aggression to follow, often exceeds the violence that ensues in reality; sometimes precipitating sudden fear is the best weapon and defense." _ Working on It, Life Maxims to Follow
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:55 am

John61CT wrote:"You're the security for those simstim kids," the pale man
said, putting one of the drinks down on Turner's table. "Alfredo told me." Alfredo was one of the hotel bartenders.

"You know," the man said, the way someone might comment on a team that wasn't doing particularly well in a given season, "those seismics you're using really don't make it. I've met people who could walk in there, eat your kids for breakfast, stack the bones in the shower, and stroll out whistling. Those seismics would say it never happened." He took
a sip of his drink. "You get A for effort, though. You know how to do a job."

The phrase "stack the bones in the shower," was enough.
Turner decided to take the pale man out.

"Look, Turner, here's your leading lady." The man smiled up at Jane Hamilton, who smiled back, her wide blue eyes clear and perfect, each iris ringed with the minute gold lettering of the Zeiss Ikon logo. Turner froze, caught in a split-second look of indecision. The star was close, too close,
and the pale man was rising

Who wrote that?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:19 am

if I camped in grizzly country, or alone in the boonies, I would use these

We frequently camp in the boonies where g-bears live and those damn things would give me a poor-night's sleep. Deer, 'coons, coyotes and lots of other critters would be popping them off. Not to mention me on a midnight pee. :shock:

But give them a try! :twisted:

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:00 pm

So glad I live in Australia. As long as you don't go swimming with Crocodiles anything else leaves you alone as long as you leave it alone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Not to mention "complications" from LEO coming by for a chat. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:52 pm

tony.latham wrote:Who wrote that?

Tony
William Gibson, from his first sci-fi trilogy starting with "Neuromancer".

A bit dated now but highly recommended just for a powerful style and convincing near-future world-building, very prescient, in fact depressingly so.

Also created the term cyberspace, long before the public Internet evolved.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:55 pm

John61CT wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Who wrote that?

Tony
William Gibson, from his first sci-fi trilogy starting with "Neuromancer".

A bit dated now but highly recommended just for a powerful style and convincing near-future world-building, very prescient, in fact depressingly so.

Also created the term cyberspace, long before the public Internet evolved.

Thanks, it was well-written dialogue.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion