Repurposed Boat

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Repurposed Boat

Postby ferbal » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 am

I got a 20 foot sailboat with my recently acquired trailer. Has any one actually built a camper using an inverted boat for most of structure? I am thinking I could chop 5 or 6 feet off the back end just behind the cabin door flip it over and call it camper...not quite as simple as that but that's my basic thought. Has any one done this? Any thoughts from the grizzled veteran builders about why it would or would not work?
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Repurposed Boat

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:38 am

I've thought about it but that's about as far as it's gotten. The sail boat's I've seen i would think would be pretty heavy though. My thought was a small fiberglass speed boat with the top part and most of the framing cut out. than put on top of short walls to get height. Just follow the stream lined shape.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby ferbal » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:46 pm

I am gonna give it a go. I am going to keep it right side up and try and use the cabin. Boat specs say the vessel I have was 1099 pounds. I hope that after I get done cutting it down that weight is significantly reduced. If the idea fails no biggie I was gonna cut up the boat anyway.
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:27 am

Just curious? Why not just leave it a boat , carry it around on it’s trailer , and just fix up the cabin area … camp , and it floats … Multi-tasking ! :thumbsup:

We have always talked about the possibility of making a camper in an inverted boat shape … It’s your boat Dude !!!
Attachments
JV2trailer.jpg
JV2trailer.jpg (4.99 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:52 am

I like the idea of using the cabin part upright on top of short walls, like a trolley top.

We need pictures!
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ferbal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:46 am

I thought about leaving it a boat, but it was way to long and too heavy. If I do the sidewall thing all I have left is the cabin roof because the interior is attached to the hull. My next step is to hose out the inside and see what I am dealing with. I will keep you posted. I did post some pics in the build journal section and I will be updating that as I work.
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby grant whipp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:49 pm

GPW wrote:... We have always talked about the possibility of making a camper in an inverted boat shape … It’s your boat Dude !!!

So, the attachment didn't come over with the quote ... :? ...! Anyway, where did you find that picture of "Das Boot"? I knew the guy who originally found and rescued that trailer ... he was always going to restore/rebuild it, but ran out of health and money before he could get 'round to it, then finally sold it ... I can't remember who bought it, but I just ran across all the drawings & illustrations that James did depicting his plans and possible outcomes! It's good to see the trailer still around (hopefully) and at least being preserved!

Speaking of "still around" ... yes, I am ... just been going through a lot of crap (including my father passing in June) as well as a re-alignment of priorities, and really haven't felt like I had much of anything to contribute. Be well, All, and as always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:45 pm

I always wondered if you could build a foamie boat, and then attach it upside-down over the top of your trailer roof, to be removed for boat duty whenever on a whim.. or even as part of your roof, to be removed only on sunny days and clear nights
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby greygoos » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 pm

I believe someone on here built foam pontoon boats that could be folded and transported on his teardrop.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:16 am

Just a thought … a Utility trailer with a Box inside , a boat on top ... :thinking:
Attachments
Boat trailer .png
Boat trailer .png (24.97 KiB) Viewed 682 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion