Black exterior-How much heat does it add to the inside?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Black exterior-How much heat does it add to the inside?

Postby ravenswood » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 am

I am currently doing a "reno" to the little guy 6 wide that we bought used. I currently have a new spring axle on order, to replace the torsion axle. The idea is to add some shocks and to gain 3-4 inches in height by changing out the torsion. This is for travel clearance and to be able to add our ARB awning to a roof rack, that way we can be under without ducking. I have also added some larger tires and rims, going to 235/75/15. To accommodate the bigger tires, I have to change out the fenders. I also have all new LED markers and brake lights to install.

So that brings me to my topic, now that I have the exterior stripped down of hardware, it is time to change the colour of it. I am going to bed line with either linex or rhino liner and my question to those that have black trailers. How much more heat is added to the inside of the trailer? I have been told that both liners stay cool to the touch, but it must still bake the inside some? For the most part, the trailer is only used during the day for or sons naps. The fan and having a window open usually does the trick for heat, but I figured I would ask the question of balck and heat!

Thanks for the input!
ravenswood
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Black exterior-How much heat does it add to the inside?

Postby Cosmo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 pm

MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both.
By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135F
while the white car topped off at 126F, 10 degrees cooler

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:10 pm

You might find this experiment Sun shade?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
The thing about the MB test is that the Windows would have a great impact.
Ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 pm

With or without a bubble wrap sun shade over the windshield (assuming both vehicles are equipped the same way), a black vehicle will absorb more heat and be hotter than a silver or white vehicle (all things being equal). Black absorbs more heat than silver or white. The studies I have found indicate 10 degree difference.

I agree, data indicates Refectix makes a difference where direct sun (radiant heat) is involved! http://www.all-science-fair-projects.co ... ct_1438_91 . A layer of Reflectix over the roof outside will help in direct sun. (no data to back that up but it seems makes sense). My trailer has a few inches of pink foam insulation on the upward facing surfaces to repel heat.

Vehicle color is still a dominant factor (in my opinion) – To test, rest your palm (or a thermometer) on a black and silver car at noon on a sunny day.

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 pm

You'll want to consider 126 degrees vs. 135 degrees... does it really matter? It's hot! Also, you aren't going to be laying on the exterior, if the exterior is 10 degrees different on the surface for example, the interior isn't going to be the same variance because there is insulation, it will only be moderately affected but back to question 1 if it is that hot in the first place, it's not going to matter. (I built two black teardrops)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby greygoos » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:09 am

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=705130#p705130 Half way down the page is a post by Mike. Might be helpful.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby ravenswood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 am

Thanks for all the input everyone. I am going to go with the black rhino line. Realistically we don’t spend time in it during the day anyway. Our son will take a nap, but so far the window open and the fan going, it stays cool enough.
I am picking up my axle today and will be installed next week. I then have to figure out my fender situation. Then it’s bed liner time. Prob by next month. I will post pics as I go

ravenswood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ravenswood » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:39 am

ravenswood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ravenswood » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:41 am

I finally have my new axle and had some fenders made. With the overslung mount I gained 4-5 inches. I will be able to mount my awning and not have to duck now. The fenders are strong enough to stand on now.
We are doing one last camp this weekend and then it’s prep time for the bed liner.

ravenswood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ravenswood » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Here it is bedlined, I just got it back today. I am very happy with the outcome. They did a great job on itImage

ravenswood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Nice tear. What did they charge to spray is? I'm thinking of doing Berliner on the roof of my build.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby ravenswood » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks Todd... I did all prep work for them. I had it done at a local Rhinoliner shop and they did an awesome job. They charged me $500 for the whole trailer

ravenswood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dexstrom » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 am

If the temps get too high, you could use shade cloth over the trailer to reflect some of the sunlight: https://aluminetshadecloth.com/aluminetshadecloth/
dexstrom
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion