No More Harbor Freight Trailers As Of 9/30/2017???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: No More Harbor Freight Trailers As Of 9/30/2017???

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 am

I just went down to my local HF store and asked the manager when they would be doing the exchange. Interestingly, even though I have the NHTSA recall notice and the HF recall info from the web, the local store knew nothing about it. They only knew there was a problem from back in the summer. As per the HF notice, the stores were to have been notified in October and consumers should have received their letters between Nov 6 and 26. Nope, no letter yet. In addition, the store has not received the replacement tires and wheels.

The recalled tires were manufactured from Jan 2014 until Sept 2017

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 am

I went to HR website and checked their recall notices, Not listed there, just the one about trailer lights

https://www.harborfreight.com/customer- ... ort.html#6
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby westerly » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Good news! it appears the trailers are back! :applause:

2 months ago or so, while at harbor freight, I asked the clerk when the trailers would return. The reply was end of July or August.
(while unavailable, they did not turn up on the website and the product manual were "not found")
Presumably they got the tires to pass DOT and both trailers and product manuals are on the website again!
Perhaps the clerk's uncertainty of availability is related in moving stock from warehouse to store locations, so it would be wise to check with your preferred store .
Let's see some new build journals now!
westerly
Teardrop Inspector

Postby djdawg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 am

The HF that is south of me about 80 miles have them back in. The clerk I was talking to on the phone was looking at them as we spoke.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby greygoos » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:25 am

I am told that trailers , at least in my area will only be available by ordering through the website and you pay the freight to your door.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:37 pm

djdawg - the HF 80 miles south of you I take to be the one in Mt. Vernon - they have had them in stock from the very first day they opened earlier this year(end of last). I live on Camano Island - personally I would start with a 'real' trailer frame when building a TD - better to have more than what is needed, only to find out later after adding 'this and that' when building the TD, improvements are needed.Here on this web-site, I see it all of the time with HF frames - need bigger wheels/better tires - better bearings - frame bolt problems - hitch/tongue problems, etc. etc. I would rather pay a bit more to start with getting a welded commercial quality frame to start with thus not having to spend the extra later for 'it's' short comings. Just my opinion for what it's worth - my $.02 anyway.............................. :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby pchast » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 pm

I've got to say that it really depends on your intended use......
:thinking:
I've got 2, one as a sleeper and one as a utility. The sleeper has
in excess of 11,000 miles on it, all highway. The utility has less
than 500.... I've greased the bearings every fall on them. Its
time for replacement tires at 5 years for the sleeper. There is
virtually little appreciable wear.
:thumbsup:
I've had no problems at all so far.... I may have just jinxed that with the statement.
:roll:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby djdawg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:02 pm

gudmund wrote:djdawg - the HF 80 miles south of you I take to be the one in Mt. Vernon - they have had them in stock from the very first day they opened earlier this year(end of last). I live on Camano Island - personally I would start with a 'real' trailer frame when building a TD - better to have more than what is needed, only to find out later after adding 'this and that' when building the TD, improvements are needed.Here on this web-site, I see it all of the time with HF frames - need bigger wheels/better tires - better bearings - frame bolt problems - hitch/tongue problems, etc. etc. I would rather pay a bit more to start with getting a welded commercial quality frame to start with thus not having to spend the extra later for 'it's' short comings. Just my opinion for what it's worth - my $.02 anyway.............................. :thinking:

Thanks Gudmund! Good information about the trailers. I live in Bellingham and I was actually talking about the Everett store haha. But close enough. Mount Vernon's even closer!

I guess I was off a bit by 20 miles! Everett is only 60 from me.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:45 pm

the Mt. Vernon store is where the old Cadillac dealership was on old Hy99 just south of the bridge to Burlington and there is now a HF in Marysville now also - somewhere- just got the flier on it's Grand Opening a few days ago. You do have one in Bellingham also - in the K-Mart shopping center store area east of the freeway off Sunset. Thanks Slow, you just validated my opinion on HF trailers - a lot of extra work trying to make it what it wasn't to begin with - like I said, it's just my opinion and everyone has at least one......................... take care and good luck
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Dan242 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 am

Bought my HF folding trailer few years ago, moved axle back about 8", extended tongue about 12" with a third rail going back to first cross (had a box in the way to keep me going back further). Only took half a day to make the mods. In May of 2018, overloaded it and moved 1900 miles to MT from TX. No unexpected issues. If you like building, figuring things out, I think the HF trailers are good bang for the buck. I paid 225.00 approximately for mine.

Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby Kevin A » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I just heavly motifed mine back in 09 withe help of my dad a,retired welder..we did,a hole complete axle swap,.. added 7 inch Dexter trailer brakes,..added Monroe gas shocks ,...and 15 inch mud and snow tires off a old ford ranger..swapped out the trailer hitch for a good bull dog coupler..only thing left on my tear thats,harbor freight is the frame.then I added miles and 9 years later..i still got my teardrop going.. slow
Your dad is a retired welder? I can't help but wonder why you didn't purchase the necessary steel to build your own frame?
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Kevin A wrote: Your dad is a retired welder? I can't help but wonder why you didn't purchase the necessary steel to build your own frame?

Kevin! Was wondering where you've been! Haven't seen you at a gathering in a couple years and don't see you on here very often. Glad you're still kicking! :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jondbar628 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Just got my latest HF on-line flyer a couple days ago, and it says they are now stocking trailers again. (Although, being HF, they probably won't show up at your store for a while) ...jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Harbor Freight Bait and Switch

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:53 am

So, yesterday I get the email with the HF 1100# folding trailer and the price of $249 with coupon. In that every HF store is over 90 miles from me, I begin calling to make certain they have one in stock. An hour later, calling 12 stores, many as far as over 200 miles away in 3 different States, NOT ONE HAS THE TRAILER! Oh, and they have no idea when or if they will get them in. So I call online, THE DON'T SELL THEM ONLINE! Their universal response was for me to buy the 1,700# trailer. I said I would if they sold it to me for the advertised price of the smaller one.

Their other option was for me to go to a store (remember distance problem) and MAYBE the store would give me a rain check to buy the smaller trailer at some point in the future for the sale price. REALLY? So I should do a 3 hour RT drive to MAYBE get a rain check for a product that MIGHT someday appear in their store. Or, spend $150 more and buy the bigger trailer.

My thinking is to spend the $500 and build me a trailer. I'm also looking around for a crappy old pop-up and rebuild it. I believe that might be the ticket, since I want to do a raise-top foamie anyway.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:20 am

There ya ‘ go … Shop around , they’re out there...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion