simplicity of the Nutmeg TT vs the Silver Twinkie Airstream

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

simplicity of the Nutmeg TT vs the Silver Twinkie Airstream

Postby Bob Hammond » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello, after finishing my first TT- the Nutmeg - I acquired a 1995 30' Airstream Classic at a very reasonable price from an older couple who could not longer enjoy and maintain it. Well, it hadn't been cared for in about 3-4 years, but I thought I could manage it, even knowing that it needed a part of the floor replaced (very common in Airstreams).

Oh wow, what a change from the simplicity of the cedar, foam, and canvas Nutmeg, which is basically 'hitch and go'. The Airstream needs a regular maintenance program, and some of the repairs are the 'Not Fun' kind requiring special skills and tools. Water leakage is a constant issue with Airstreams because of the number of roof penetrations, windows, and riveted seams. I ended up building a 10' ladder to crawl up on top of this slippery silver twinkie, and spent a week scraping caulk and resealing. The floor replacement is next, and it's a complicated procedure because of the integrated construction design. And an accident can be a very very expensive event, with dealer or factory repairs running in the thousands or tens of thousands. Some people go so far as to gut them completely, lifting off the aluminum shell and starting from the chassis up.

On the other hand, there is a cult community of owners who are very helpful with technical problems and practical advice. Airstreams tow wonderfully for such big behemoths, and they are very resistant to overturning even in hurricane winds. They are also quiet, well laid out, and furnished for comfort. So I can see why people live in them for six months or all year round. It's no wonder that about 60% of all Airstreams are still in use after so many decades.

I haven't decided what I will do with it after I'm done. I might sell it at a substantial profit, buy a 3/4 ton pickup and tow it, or buy a few acres somewhere and plant it permanently as a cottage. I suppose that I'll know what I'll want after all the work is done. But somehow, I think the Nutmeg will see more use in the years ahead - it's so convenient for trips of a week or less.
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Re: simplicity of the Nutmeg TT vs the Silver Twinkie Airst

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:11 am

Bob Hammond wrote:Hello, after finishing my first TT- the Nutmeg - I acquired a 1995 30' Airstream Classic at a very reasonable price from an older couple who could not longer enjoy and maintain it. Well, it hadn't been cared for in about 3-4 years, but I thought I could manage it, even knowing that it needed a part of the floor replaced (very common in Airstreams).

Oh wow, what a change from the simplicity of the cedar, foam, and canvas Nutmeg, which is basically 'hitch and go'. The Airstream needs a regular maintenance program, and some of the repairs are the 'Not Fun' kind requiring special skills and tools. Water leakage is a constant issue with Airstreams because of the number of roof penetrations, windows, and riveted seams. I ended up building a 10' ladder to crawl up on top of this slippery silver twinkie, and spent a week scraping caulk and resealing. The floor replacement is next, and it's a complicated procedure because of the integrated construction design. And an accident can be a very very expensive event, with dealer or factory repairs running in the thousands or tens of thousands. Some people go so far as to gut them completely, lifting off the aluminum shell and starting from the chassis up.

On the other hand, there is a cult community of owners who are very helpful with technical problems and practical advice. Airstreams tow wonderfully for such big behemoths, and they are very resistant to overturning even in hurricane winds. They are also quiet, well laid out, and furnished for comfort. So I can see why people live in them for six months or all year round. It's no wonder that about 60% of all Airstreams are still in use after so many decades.

I haven't decided what I will do with it after I'm done. I might sell it at a substantial profit, buy a 3/4 ton pickup and tow it, or buy a few acres somewhere and plant it permanently as a cottage. I suppose that I'll know what I'll want after all the work is done. But somehow, I think the Nutmeg will see more use in the years ahead - it's so convenient for trips of a week or less.
I am in the process of renewing a 22 foot 1962 Airstream Safari. I started in May and at this point have removed all of the interior skins and replaced all but 1 section of sub floor cleaning and treating the frame with Permatex a rust treatment. Still ahead is rewiring and replacing the insulation, reinstalling and painting the interior skins, building cabinetry, replacing the axle, and whatever else presents itself.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Bob Hammond » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 am

Wow, with the exception of lifting off the entire shell, it's the full monty for you!

I'm considering using 1/2" x 4' x 8' HDPE sheet material for repairing the rear floor, and although this could be a good option for TT builders as well, I suppose AS chat should carried on elsewhere. Do you visit here? --

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Yes I am on airforums with the user name Jimroll. I am using 5/8 plywood for my floor and spar polyurethane the bejesus out of it. There may be better stuff but this should last as long as the original wood. The Airstream community is every bit as helpful as the members here. It is a different kind of challenge and I am learning new skills along the way. What I have learned here, first building a teardrop then a standee teardrop, is very helpful with the AS. As they say it is a riveting experience.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Return to General Discussion