Trailer Brake Help needed

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Trailer Brake Help needed

Postby freeriders98 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:05 pm

So I just bought a brand new 2018 Wells Cargo 7x16 vnose trailer. It has Dexter axles with easy lube hubs and the never adjust brakes...

It has not more than 100 miles on it yet. However the last 2 times I have taken it out 1 hub and brake get hot. Like you can smell the brakes after 2 miles when I stopped for gas. Only 1 wheel assembly is getting hot (tandem axle)

My initial thought was maybe the hub was not greased well from the facotory. So I bought some AMSOIL synthetic grease that is comparable. The hub in question took a lot of grease before flushing out through the ez lube systems. I also grease the other 3 hubs. I figured this fixed it.

So today we loaded up all the dirt bikes and headed out. Within 2 miles the hub was hot again. So we came home, I jacked up that side and the wheel will barely turn. Disconnected the 7 pin, and the wheel still won't hardly turn. So I pulled the hub assembly and manually adjusted the brakes out. Set the brakes so they would just barely rub the drum and the wheel spins free.

Dropped it back down and took it around the block, maybe 1 mile total. Jacked it up again when I got home and same thing that 1 wheel won't spin free. You can turn it by hand but barely.

Its as if the auto adjusting mechanism prevents the brake shoes from retracting at all. I called the dealer I bought it from and they can look at it since it is under warranty. But now the question is how do I tow it 50+ miles back to them with a badly dragging brake, not to mention the hassle of taking the trailer back an hour 1 way...so 4 hours of driving to drop it off then go back and get it.

I am hoping someone here has had a similar problem or something I can do to trouble shoot it myself.
freeriders98
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer Brake Help needed

Postby MtnDon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:12 pm

I would think that disconnecting the brakes power should prevent the shoes moving and locking. ???
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby freeriders98 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:14 am

Its like the auto adjust mechanisms isn't allowing them to retract at all. So power to tje magnet doesn't matter. Basically its like you adjusted the star adjuster way to tight.
freeriders98
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:41 am

"Most" auto adjust mechanism adjust when you apply brakes BACKING UP... Basically I would disconnect the cable and lever that operates the adjuster star wheel inside drum and off to dealer I would go.. And tow very carefully with trailer brakes disconnected (remove fuse from controller?)

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion