critique wiring thoughts

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

critique wiring thoughts

Postby meedgar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:08 am

It is finally time to think about my power and wiring.

Since my aim on the teardrop is simplicity and nature, my power needs will be small. No TV, DVD etc. 1 wireless chargeable bluetooth speaker for tunes. We will be hiking, biking, paddling and sleeping.

Power needs:

I am going to start with 100% solar and a trickle charger from car if sun doesn't cooperate. I will only need to power 2 led reading lights (power switch on light), 2 interior eyeball leds by the interior cabinet (Power switch on light), fantastic vent and two porch lights. (Power switch will be in the interior) 1 Galley light and a coffee pot. Two extra plug ins just in case. I feel a 100W solar set will get the job done.

Wiring needs:

My sailboat days continue to pop up when I look at wiring. Remember to keep any problem areas in one central area and ease of reach if repairs are needed.
My thinking is to run all wiring in roof and install the power switch for porch light in interior ceiling above the door and the lights will be attached to ceiling. Any major wiring issues are readily reachable by removing exterior ceiling panel.

I am going to house battery, inverter, charging board etc in a tongue box for ease of reach and can easily add components if I need to add shore power later on. Plus the battery is within easy reach to charge in garage a couple of days before a trip.

Is my thinking correct?

Thanks for any input.
meedgar
Teardrop Inspector

Re: critique wiring thoughts

Postby friz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:16 am

I did a week in Colorado on 50w solar and came back with an almost full battery. I did not have a coffee pot though. Camp stove and french press would reduce your electrical needs a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:26 am

Myself and many others sometimes build electrical systems that don't match the actual camping environment. I did 110v and a 12v system with the idea that I would do alot of boondocking and then I realized that there was no where to boondock anywhere around me and I ended up only camping in State parks with ample power and wather, therefore my next three campers had a power strip as the full extent of the electrical system. This may not be your situation or desire but it's worth considering how you will actually be camping if you have not already. I don't know anything about solar so I will leave those comments to others.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

Your Fantastic fan will use about 3.5 amps/hour. The LEDs are hardly measurable. I suspect your Bluetooth speaker is in the same boat. Throw another 4 amp/hours for your phone. But what caught my eye was an electric coffee pot. I just checked mine in the kitchen and it sucks 1,050 watts. I think if I had two of those on my kitchen counter, I'd be popping my 20-amp breaker on a regular basis.

We use our galley stove for coffee. Heat up the water and pour it into our French Press mugs. Your coffee will be quicker and you can cut your electrical usage by about 80%. And you won't have to worry about a cloudy day.

:thumbsup:

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 am

I agree with Thomas, your camping style may differ from what you think the future has in store while camping! :thinking:
"Go Big or Go Home"..."Be Preprepared"..."Let there be Light", are just a few of the sayings we have been hearing all of our lives, and for good reason!
Dealing with things that may pop up, be required, or just become available to you, are easy if you have planned for them by installing the necessary equipment.
My advice to you is install twice as much as you think you will ever use,,,,,,,,,,because you will use it someday no matter what! ;)
We have 5 sources of power available to us while camping in Miss Piggy, and over the past 5 years we have used them all! :thumbsup: And I am not talking outlets here, We have lots of those :roll: I am talking "sources"
Power is now our "Number One" favourite thing about Teardrop Camping! :applause:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:56 am

My advice to you is install twice as much...

I agree with my Canadian friend. ('cept his use of steel instead of wood, the holy substance.)

I put a double 12V outlet at the foot of the bed. We use it to preheat the bed with our 12V electric blanket. It's on a timer and uses about 3 amps. The other side of it has a double USB plug in it. We used to charge our phones at night form that but it was a bit un-handy down there. The fuse box is hidden below the headboard. So, fortunately, it was an easy task to run another circuit to the center of the headboard for a double USB outlet.

In the galley we've got another double USB too... once or twice a summer it get's used.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Vedette wrote:I agree with Thomas, your camping style may differ from what you think the future has in store while camping! :thinking:

We have 5 sources of power available to us while camping in Miss Piggy, and over the past 5 years we have used them all! :thumbsup: And I am not talking outlets here, We have lots of those :roll: I am talking "sources"
Power is now our "Number One" favourite thing about Teardrop Camping! :applause:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

I can quickly think of four sources of power.
1) Shore power.
2) Solar power.
3) Power from the tow vehicle.
4) Generator power.

:thinking: Is a battery (stored energy) the 5th power source? Or is it something else entirely like a wind generator?
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby SSTear » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:08 pm

I used my sailing elect. experience as well.

On my build I bought a sealed deep cycle marine battery and a 12v 110v 30 amp camper converter with 3 breakers in it and ran a shore power to a 30 amp exterior plug. I installed top exhaust fan, and six led lights and four 110v outlets and wired in a 8 USB outlets in 4 12v sockets. I installed a battery tender that plugs into one of the 110v outlets and it charges when plugged into shore power. I ran a charging wire to the tow vehicle through the trailer plug for charging while driving. No AC or fridge. I left the exhaust fan on for nearly a week to test rundown time. It was still running but I don't know how much charge was left over.
SSTear
Teardrop Builder

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Esteban wrote:
Vedette wrote:I agree with Thomas, your camping style may differ from what you think the future has in store while camping! :thinking:

Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

I can quickly think of four sources of power.
1) Shore power.
2) Solar power.
3) Power from the tow vehicle.
4) Generator power.

:thinking: Is a battery (stored energy) the 5th power source? Or is it something else entirely like a wind generator?

:Flippin Burger: "Fire, Fire, huhuh, Fire" - Butthead ( or Beavis, I was never sure which was which)

Actually, I would have gone with
Battery Power
Generator
Shore
Tow Vehicle
Propane/Fire
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion