things u love or hate

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: things u love or hate

Postby les45 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Several thoughts:

1. I agree that memory foam is not for cold camping (even in the 40's). I have a 4" topper that is 1.5" memory foam and 2.5" regular firm foam. We tried the memory foam side but it was very uncomfortable (hard) at 41 degrees. We simply flipped it and use the regular foam for a sleeping surface.

2. If you don't camp in the heat of summer, then don't worry about AC. A good DC fan will do. Fantastic Fan is a good one. It is three speeds and reversible.

3. If you will only be camping where there is park power, then don't worry about batteries and converter/chargers. This is a big cost item. On my second build I used an old computer power supply for my DC and a simple circuit breaker box for my AC distribution.

4. I agree with previous comments about lots of AC circuits.

5. Use 15 amp inlet and accessories so you can use common extension cords for AC power. Also, buy some adapters that will allow you to use any of the campground power outlets (50, 30, 20, 15 amps).

6. Repack the wheel bearings with good grease if you are using a new NT trailer. The stuff that comes with it is only a preservative and not a good high temp grease.

The journal for my first build (a weekender) is kind of old so I'll give you a link here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49333
It contains a lot of info with helpful hints and pics that you might be able to use.
Good luck on your new build.
les45
500 Club

Postby Shep505 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm pretty excited because I just found out a friend of mine is going to sell me his 5x8 utility trailer with a 3500 lbs axle with 15" tires for 300.00. it's in great shape. So now I have a very solid starting point for my build for less money than I was going to spend on a lighter trailer. I'm
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby frosty » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:27 pm

having slept in both a double (4 foot) and Queen (5 foot) with wife, the Queen wins. :thumbsup:
frosty
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shep505 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Staryder, I've seen that bed on Amazon and gave it some thought but honestly don't see us breaking down the bedding and setting up again just to be able to sit inside. Our plan is to be outside under a twenty foot pop up top while in camp. The trailer for us is primarily a place to sleep.I have seen some with the setup you are talking about and it is very cool and inviting but more set up and breakdown than I want to be thinking about while chilling.
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shep505 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:25 pm

jsnbergman We worked around the form to create the function.

I just checked out your build. You didn't have a restoration,,, you had a Resurrection. You're doing a great job. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to General Discussion