Type of trailer to use for a teardrop

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Type of trailer to use for a teardrop

Postby schmidt4869 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi....I'm new here and am looking for some advise on what trailer to use for a teardrop. Most of the HF and Tractor Supply 5x8's are only rated at 45 MPH with 12" or 13" tires and I plan to take a trip across country. Will these types of trailers last on a trip like that or should I be looking for a beefier one? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Pete
schmidt4869
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Type of trailer to use for a teardrop

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:51 am

HF or NT work well for a budget trailer base. NT seems to be a heavier gauge metal. The 45mph limit is written by the lawyers, but those trailers are fine well beyond that. Good grease in clean wheel bearings does wonders.

There are a couple known failures of the HF trailers (very small percentage), all of which can be mitigated by an easy tongue modifications and regular wheel bearing maintenance. The modification that many feel is an absolute must is the tongue modification. It reinforces the tongue of the trailer, and also extends the coupler forward which stabilizes the trailer and makes backing up easier. It can be done on the HF and the NT frames. Mine can be seen here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1067349#p1067349

You'll also read here that some people claim you absolutely have to weld the bolts. This is not only very untrue (welds cannot flex with road vibration), but an improper weld will actually weaken the metal. Use some quality Nyloc nuts during assembly and you'll be fine.

If you have the tools and skills to fabricate your own base, then go for it, because you'll get exactly what you need. If you can afford a fully-welded trailer frame from a manufacturer, then that's a great choice as well. The choice is up to you and your budget. Use the search function here, and you'll find lots of information.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 am

One with brakes or that can have brakes added to it.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby schmidt4869 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:44 am

[quote="absolutsnwbrdr"]HF or NT work well for a budget trailer base. NT seems to be a heavier gauge metal. The 45mph limit is written by the lawyers, but those trailers are fine well beyond that. Good grease in clean wheel bearings does wonders.

There are a couple known failures of the HF trailers (very small percentage), all of which can be mitigated by an easy tongue modifications and regular wheel bearing maintenance. The modification that many feel is an absolute must is the tongue modification. It reinforces the tongue of the trailer, and also extends the coupler forward which stabilizes the trailer and makes backing up easier. It can be done on the HF and the NT frames. Mine can be seen here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1067349#p1067349

You'll also read here that some people claim you absolutely have to weld the bolts. This is not only very untrue (welds cannot flex with road vibration), but an improper weld will actually weaken the metal. Use some quality Nyloc nuts during assembly and you'll be fine.

If you have the tools and skills to fabricate your own base, then go for it, because you'll get exactly what you need. If you can afford a fully-welded trailer frame from a manufacturer, then that's a great choice as well. The choice is up to you and your budget. Use the search function here, and you'll find lots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schmidt4869
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schmidt4869 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks for all the information. Wondered if the 45 mph was a legal safety. Appreciate the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schmidt4869
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:One with brakes or that can have brakes added to it.
  • Brakes may come in handy if you tow a heavy trailer with a lightweight vehicle, or in mountainous terrain. Or, just for added stopping power, for safety's sake. My original trailer axle was of unknown weight capacity, and was never intended to have brakes, so there were no brake flanges. When I needed to replace the axle with a higher weight capacity set-up, with brakes already installed, it was made to order for my trailer frame rail measurements. So, you can start out your build with a HF or NT trailer, and change your axle out later, to one with bigger bearings, higher weight capacity, and with brakes, if those improvements are needed.
  • original trailer, 50x60 inches, small axle, no brakes.png
    original trailer, 50x60 inches, small axle, no brakes.png (413.34 KiB) Viewed 552 times
    very small trailer with 8" wheels at start of build
  • axle changed out.png
    axle changed out.png (775.79 KiB) Viewed 552 times
    overgrown (1625 lbs at the time) trailer needed a total upgrade of the suspension
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion