Non-Adhesive EIFS Stucco Mesh instead of fiberglass mesh?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Non-Adhesive EIFS Stucco Mesh instead of fiberglass mesh?

Postby JamesDixonLR » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:26 pm

I found this link saved in my camper related links and I'm wondering how I came across it. I searched this forum for references to EIFS and EIFEX but it did not turn up. I must have saved it as an alternative to fiberglass mesh reinforcement and it speaks of deformation resistance. That said, I would like to hear that someone else has tried it successfully.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BOEN-38-in- ... gQodO6sFBA

Thanks, Jim Dixon
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Re: Non-Adhesive EIFS Stucco Mesh instead of fiberglass mesh

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Jim:

I don't know anything about this stuff, but doing a bit of Googling, isn't it made from fiberglass?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Non-Adhesive EIFS Stucco Mesh instead of fiberglass mesh

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 pm

This material is meant to support stucco and a replacement for metal mesh/screen.

IMHO, unlike fiberglass cloth or tape, it has significant thickness and will NOT be covered by an application or two of epoxy. I doubt it will blend into the epoxy mix and will most likely leave a shadow. (Found thickness: 0.016" or about 1.7 X thicker than the 6oz fiberglass)

Also it does not bend/follow the curvature like fiberglass tape or cloth. It would work on flat or slow curving surface. But it will not make a 90 bend tight to the surface. Again with stucco, you have a thickness to the material to make transitions.

Fiberglass tape ranges 0.003" to 0.012" thickness. Fiberglass 4oz sheet are 0.0059"; 6oz is 0.0093". All of these are transparent when wetted. As comparison, a sheet of 20lb paper is 0.0035". Also these materials have lots of threads per inch, which, I assume, is part of the strength of the material. There are other fiberglass with heavier weights and different weaves for different applications.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion