Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion

Postby CaleyAnn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Now that I have a trailer that my car will be able to tow, I am now ready to start trying to figure out where to start. I am guessing that the electrical stuff needs to be done, along with adding the insulation, before I start paneling things, and adding shelves and whatnot.

From what one person suggested, because my trailer is so very small, I really do not need large fans to move air. They suggested PC fans, one in each side panel. I already put three of them in my Amazon wishlist. But I need to know just what else I will need for completing these fan installations. The gap between the outside trailer wall, and the structural plywood they have is 1 1/2 inches. The size specs say the fan is 1 inch thick. I am imagining I should have grills on both the outer van wall and inside. Am I think this correctly?

I also am wanting to keep the entire trailer using 12VDC. I would like to get a solar panel kit that includes the solar panels, and all the wires and electronics required to use them. It would be nice if the batteries also came in the package. But I am not sure just how much power I need for overnight usage. So here is what I plan on having. Yes, those two computer fans used to move air out of the trailer. Or do I use one to bring in air, and the other to exhaust the interior air?

I am also going to get a 13 inch flat screen TV that says it runs on 3 amps at 12VDC. I would also like to have something that can play DVD/CD, and also has an AM/FM radio. Of course it will all be 12VDC, if there is such a thing. I also need a couple of LED lights inside, but am not sure I need an LED light outside. SO I need to ask the experts if exterior lighting is a necessity. Since I will not be having an air conditioner for such a small trailer, I will have to make due with a quiet fan unit, or some kind of evaporative cooler. I will be doing most of my camping in the high desert of southern California, so this type of cooler might be a good thing to purchase, but have not found anything that runs on 12VDC, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and your next child. :-)

I do not need a hot water heater. I plan on using my one burner propane stove to boil water in the winter, and use solar water heating bags during the summer for my showers and general use. I have looked into an indoor propane heater, but there doesn't seem to be anything small enough for my trailer.

Oh yes, my trailer is a cargo type that has outside dimensions of 4x6. Yes, it is tiny, but it is just the right weight for my little Honda CRV which technically is not supposed to tow anything. I was told I am limited to the trailer weight and another 390 pounds to be safe. Not sure that also includes weight I might put in my car. Hopefully not. I have a lot to learn about all of this, so towing and weight capacity is something I need to figure out.

All of this is one reason I am trying to keep every thing small and light weight. Oh, the inside of the trailer is only 44.5 inches wide, by about 72 inches long, and has 51 inches height on the sides, and 55 inches at the center of the trailer. So I have pretty good headroom.

Now that I have blathered about a lot of stuff, is there anyone out there who can adopt me during this build to help me through it.

As I said before, everything needs to be as compact and light weight as possible, as I really want to keep my total weight at around 900 pounds. I know I was told 1000 pounds, but I would really like to keep my 2001 small 4 cylinder engine powered Honda CRV "Blue Pony" happy. I have a basically new engine, though it is actually rebuilt. But it only has 20,000 miles on it. I also have a new radiator of the same age. It has new shocks/struts. It has a lot of other little new things. So I have treated my Blue Pony very well, and hopefully she will be happy with her new companion she will be towing. Anyone familiar with the Morongo grade that goes up from the Palm Springs, California area to Twentynine Palms, knows that grade is fairly long and steep. The new trailer I towed home yesterday only put the engine temperature to about 2/5ths, and my transmission only geared down a half dozen times to get back up to speed, gearing down and up smoothly. I guess that gives anyone with questions about my car an idea of what I have, and how it performs. CaleyAnn
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Re: Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion

Postby NotJammer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm

You are on the right track. Any holes, like fans might need bug screens. You should be able to run those fans forwards and backward as needed.

I think 1000 lbs is realistic. I regularly towed 1000 lbs with a much smaller 1994 Honda Civic VX.

Carry heavy things like water in the car, low down tied tight behind the front seats. In a crash, anything heavy can kill you.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Not Jammer, Thanks for the weight info.

Does anyone here suggest a particular computer cooling fan. I want it simple. Some seem to have a wire for a speed controller. I'm not sure I need something like that

I was hoping that since the trailer will be purely 12VDC, that I can get what I am calling a strip of say 8 to 10 on/off type switches. Not sure which are more preferred, toggle, flip, or push button.

Right now I think I need to concentrate on just the switch and the two fans, before proceeding. I need to conquer the installation, which I know isn't going to be easy, since I have to cut holes in the exterior siding, and in the structural plywood inside.

I finally figured out how the inside sides are done. From the outer metal sheeting, they have attached 1 inch square bent tubing that forms a horseshoe shape going from one side, and curving over on the ceiling to the other side. Nest in is what looks like 1/4 inch plywood sheet screwed into those tubes. Over that they have placed Luan 1/8 ply that I guess is supposed to make the interior look nicer. I had planned on using Luan ply to cover the sides and ceiling. Not sure how easy Luan is to bend, but I hope it can, or something similar available from Home Depot is available.

So, no work to be done until I can get advice on those fans and the switches.

Once these two things are done, I will go onto lighting, then how to power my entertainment setup, and finally decide on a solar system=, based on the advice given.

Oh yes, I need advice on an interior heater of some sort that can either run off 12VDC, or can be fueled by propane. I've got to have that figured out before I close up everything to start installing the shelves/cabinets(?), bench and various other little woodworking modifications to make the trailer usable as a camper. Off I go to read about switches. CaleyAnn
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 pm

I hadn't a clue as to what these switches were called when I was trying to find them. But I finally settled on a name "gang", and this is what I came up with: https://www.amazon.com/IZTOSS-voltmeter ... ker+switch

The thing is very nice looking. I makes it easy to do things, as all switches are in one place, which will be at the end of the trailer just inside the door on the side wall. Reason I won't put it on the back wall that will be inside the trailer door is that the back wall will be designed to come out so that I can actually use the trailer to move things.

I'm still trying to figure out what diameter computer fans I need for exhaust and intake. I really want ones that are reliable, not something that is flimsy, and will break down in a few months. I get the feeling that it all depends on what type of bearings are used. Just not sure which fan at Amazon would be a good fit for my little trailer.

I also have not found any kind of covers that will go on the outside and inside to reduce the possibility of creatures coming inside, and also filtering out other unwanted stuff. Hmmm, I wonder if there are any threads on something like this in electrical. I'd better check. CaleyAnn
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 pm

This is to one of the Moderators. I goofed, not knowing when I posted this, that there was a Cargo Trailer Conversion sub-forum. Would you please transfer it to there. I'd appreciate it. CaleyAnn
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 am

We have slept in Miss Piggy 260 nights in the past 5 seasons, with our "used" computer fans running up to 10 hours each night (slept 15 hours straight on one occasion after a long driving day) with no problems. The white noise the produce is soothing to sleep to.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Brian and Sandi, Do you have a fan diameter, so I can use that as my benchmark. I am figuring our interior space is probably similar.

On a side note, I mentioned I had a Snowbear utility trailer. The two strips on either side of the central metal panel were pretty much toast. I managed to put in new strips, and then I sheeted over with a sheet and strip of plywood I had on hand. I am very happy with my first work on a trailer. This is the trailer I will probably put a teardrop on, if I do decide to take the plunge. But the teardrop module will be removable in case I do need the trailer to haul stuff. CaleyAnn
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby NotJammer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Make sure all accessories are really 12 VDC.

Here are some fans. https://www.amazon.com/Logisys-120MM-Co ... B007JPNE7A

I have not used these. They just were the first up.

12 VDC is pretty safe. It won't shock you normally. But always wire anything with the battery negative (-)ground disconnected. A full short can make a battery too hot and ...problems...

Mounting the fans is easy because they are light in weight, but I worry about the holes in the outside. What about rain, dirt, bugs, mice and thieves. If a thief can push it out and reach in. He will. I know all too well.

Most people use a roof fan. https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent- ... B000BRCGNQ

It's one of the best and reversible, not free.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 am

CaleyAnn wrote:
But the teardrop module will be removable in case I do need the trailer to haul stuff. CaleyAnn

So, over the past 6 years, I have heard so many Newbies say this is what they plan for their $249.00 HF trailer chassis?
......like it is a "new" or "original" idea?? :thinking:
It is neither! :roll:
Not trying to be mean or negative, but just stating a point of fact.........once you have the Teardrop built on that cheap chassis (and going to a lot of extra work & cost to make it removable or interchangeable)........you will never take it off!
You will realize that for an extra $249.00 (or $100.00 for a used yard waste trailer) you can have d trailer to go to the Lowes or the dump with.
"On and Off" work and time makes absolutely no sense what so ever! :?
Many years ago, I had similar thoughts about building a Sheet Rod Chassis that could accept both a Roadster (2 seater) body and a Touring (4 seater) body, thinking it would be cheaper for me. Glad I came to my senses before giving in to that pipe dream, or the second body would still be hanging from the ceiling of my garage....never used. Time and energy would have never permitted it! :thinking: And that was when I was 40 years younger than I am now???
As it turned out, I built two separate cars (actually many more than that) and I enjoy them when I want, because they are ready to go when I am....not after a crap load of work that I don't have time for , nor the energy!
Just food for thought from someone that has seen how that "New" thought is really going to turnout for you. :wine:
Good Roads
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 am

Brian, Yes, you're quite right. It just takes me talking to others on Forums, bouncing ideas around to get put on the right track. BTW, I moved this thread over to viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69850 beccause it is actually in the wrong sub-forum.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion