Coolers used in Tear Drop Campers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby davidAndshannon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:42 pm

What are your favorite coolers to use in your Teardrop Camper? I'm trying to outfit our Teardrop and am trying to find a cooler to use.

Thanks,

Shannon
Last edited by davidAndshannon on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidAndshannon
Teardrop Builder

Re: Coolers used in Tear Drop Campers

Postby KennethW » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:49 pm

I use a Coleman Xtreme. Across between performance and cost. If it is hot I will put a blanked over it.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:03 pm

I like RTIC
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 pm

I got the walmart knock-off of the yeti, $75 for the 25-er. I also have the similar sized (20 ?) actual yeti and did a side-by-side. Came out about the same. These are small so they won’t go 9 days, but 3-5 sure.

I had a coupon somewhere - Cabelas I think - that brought the yeti down to $175 from $199. For the $100, I will leave the yeti in the big rv and TD with the walmart one, happily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby rkanz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Also like the Coleman Extreme. On a trip to Utah I carried two 28 quart coolers. One was used for frozen food and we only opened it once a day. A block of ice lasted five days. The other cooler was used for drinks, cheese, and veggies. We added ice every day or every other day. These smaller coolers are easier to move and keep in the shade. I don't store coolers in the trailer to avoid animal issues, mostly bears. I store the cooler in the TV or bear box at the campground.

These coolers are $20 at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-28-Q ... r/40704042

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:22 pm

We bought a 54 qt Coleman Steel to replace our old and trusty Rubbermaid. I think it's a great product and holds ice an extra day or so.

:thumbsup:

Tony

p.s. Shop around. There's a great difference in prices on these.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom Horn » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 pm

I have the red version of Tony's cooler waiting and ready to go in my camper whenever I get it finished. I got a really good deal on it from Walmart.com and couldn't pass it up.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:40 am

We’re still using the old Green Coleman … it works
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jsnbergman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:22 am

Tom Horn wrote:I have the red version of Tony's cooler waiting and ready to go in my camper whenever I get it finished. I got a really good deal on it from Walmart.com and couldn't pass it up.

Youll love it :thumbsup:
20180109_204409.jpg
20180109_204409.jpg (74 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
jsnbergman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:04 pm

jsnbergman wrote:
Tom Horn wrote:I have the red version of Tony's cooler waiting and ready to go in my camper whenever I get it finished. I got a really good deal on it from Walmart.com and couldn't pass it up.

20180109_204409.jpg

SHUDDUP!

Mine is red too... and I got it first!

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jsnbergman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 pm

tony.latham wrote:
jsnbergman wrote:

20180109_204409.jpg

SHUDDUP!

Ha! I laughed out loud sitting alone at my desk :beer:
jsnbergman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tom Horn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:19 pm

jsnbergman wrote:
tony.latham wrote:
jsnbergman wrote:

20180109_204409.jpg

SHUDDUP!

Ha! I laughed out loud sitting alone at my desk :beer:

lol, I did too! I did break mine in last week tent camping on my elk hunt. It kept 2 bags of ice just over a week. Not to bad at all but the highest temp was in the 50's. Hope it works almost as good as that in our summertime around here. I also hope mine looks as good in my camper as yours does. :thumbsup:
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BretMaverick » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 am

I'm currently building a camper and did a fair amount of research on coolers, as I thought it would be important to understand coolers before building the kitchen part of the trailer. Right now I am planning on building the bottom cabinet around this cooler - https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-70-quart-Xtreme-Cooler/dp/B00FQT6BQW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1516725063&sr=8-9&keywords=coleman+extreme+coolers. The Coleman Extreme came up a few times as a cheap alternative to the fancy new coolers that are out now. It will not keep ice as long as most of the fancy ones do, but for cheap it will keep ice longer than any of it's direct competitors (according to anything I read anyway). If money is no object than Yeti is a safe bet, or the Orca brands seem to out perform even Yeti.
BretMaverick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 pm

BretMaverick wrote:I'm currently building a camper and did a fair amount of research on coolers, as I thought it would be important to understand coolers before building the kitchen part of the trailer. Right now I am planning on building the bottom cabinet around this cooler - https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-70-quart-Xtreme-Cooler/dp/B00FQT6BQW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1516725063&sr=8-9&keywords=coleman+extreme+coolers. The Coleman Extreme came up a few times as a cheap alternative to the fancy new coolers that are out now. It will not keep ice as long as most of the fancy ones do, but for cheap it will keep ice longer than any of it's direct competitors (according to anything I read anyway). If money is no object than Yeti is a safe bet, or the Orca brands seem to out perform even Yeti.

We used that same cooler on our SW trip last spring to just store ice. We picked it up during the trip since ice was limiting our time in the boonies without resupplying. (Stored In the back of the Tacoma.)

It worked remarkably well. It was a great addition to our ramblings.

Great cooler!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby BretMaverick » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm

That's fantastic to hear Tony! I'm going to do some over kill and build the cabinet with insulation, not that this cooler sounds like it needs it, but hey maybe I can turn a 5 day cooler into a 7 day cooler :D

Also, this thing is huge! until I purchased it I guess I had no idea how big 70 quarts was. I probably could have gotten away with a 50 quart easy but hey if we ever plan a week long trip this cooler should be perfect!
BretMaverick
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to General Discussion