Coolers used in Tear Drop Campers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Coolers used in Tear Drop Campers

Postby Olddog1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:54 pm

From personal experience those Coleman Steel Cooler aren't Raccoon proof. One walked out of the woods up to the cooler turned the latch raised the lid and rummaged through the goodies. It wasn't it's first Coleman Steel Cooler. :o
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:01 pm

We stopped using coolers about 8 years ago and switched to a refrigerooler. Haven't bought any ice since.

refrigerooler linky

How much is ice now days? I should do a payback analysis and see how many *decades* the refrigerooler needs to last to break even. :lol:

Bruce
P.S. We used the Coleman extreme before we went over to the cold side.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby davidAndshannon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:20 am

Thank you for the replies. There are some great suggestions here. I like the look of that Coleman Steel!
davidAndshannon
Teardrop Builder

Postby davidAndshannon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:24 am

Still learning how to post replies in this forum!
davidAndshannon
Teardrop Builder

Postby davidAndshannon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 am

I had not even thought about Bear Issues. That is a real concern depending upon where one is camping!
davidAndshannon
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 pm

bdosborn wrote:We stopped using coolers about 8 years ago and switched to a refrigerooler. Haven't bought any ice since.

refrigerooler linky

How much is ice now days? I should do a payback analysis and see how many *decades* the refrigerooler needs to last to break even. :lol:

Bruce
P.S. We used the Coleman extreme before we went over to the cold side.

That's probably ok for keeping eggs and bacon cold, etc.

But no refrigerator is going to cool a fish as fast as packing it in ice. And a good cooler can handle dry ice so you can clean and freeze your catch at camp when you get more than you can eat on your trip. I've done this with crab and clams as well as fish.

It all depends on what your needs are.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby rkanz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 am

One of my concerns about Yeti coolers is the weight. A large Yeti filled with ice and food can be 100 pounds. Not something easy to move. Ice longevity is directly related to opening the lid of the cooler. Ice lasts almost as long in a Coleman Extreme as a Yeti if the lid is kept closed. This is why I carry two coolers, one holds frozen food and is opened once a day, the other is used for less perishable foods and opened when needed.
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jsnbergman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:23 am

rkanz wrote:One of my concerns about Yeti coolers is the weight. A large Yeti filled with ice and food can be 100 pounds. Not something easy to move. Ice longevity is directly related to opening the lid of the cooler. Ice lasts almost as long in a Coleman Extreme as a Yeti if the lid is kept closed. This is why I carry two coolers, one holds frozen food and is opened once a day, the other is used for less perishable foods and opened when needed.

I won a yeti at a golf outing last year and we were super stoked, until we realized how heavy and how little it holds for its size. No way we could take it in the canoe and not practical in the camper. So I traded it for a car, not a whole car. Buddy I was buying a car off of for my daughter wanted it so that took some $$ off.
jsnbergman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pinstriper » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

rkanz wrote:One of my concerns about Yeti coolers is the weight. A large Yeti filled with ice and food can be 100 pounds. Not something easy to move. Ice longevity is directly related to opening the lid of the cooler. Ice lasts almost as long in a Coleman Extreme as a Yeti if the lid is kept closed. This is why I carry two coolers, one holds frozen food and is opened once a day, the other is used for less perishable foods and opened when needed.

Oh, totally. Any but the smallest are a two-man job to move. The biggest are suitable pretty much only for putting in a large boat and being left there. Use as a live-well/freezer/kill box/whatever and also as a seat.

Bottom line, if you want to keep a lot of food very cold in a small space that is portable...you have requirements that cannot be filled. It's then a question of where you can compromise.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 am

Actually over the years we’ve collected many coolers of all sizes, and all worked fine for the job when used correctly … but that YETI was just TOO EXPENSIVE for our taste. It was described to me by a cocky store salesman as “for people who want only the Best “ … :roll: Not being a Snob, I just don't need “the Best” just to hold Ice , especially at those prices … Just Ridiculous !!! A marketing scam to profit off the gullible as with so many things these days ... :R

We were gassing up the pickup one day a while back , the guy in front had the Big Yeti in the back of his truck , so I just had to ask him how he liked it … He said it was Ok , But didn’t keep ice (in our warm climate ) as well as promised … but it was impressive to his customers … ( I always wondered what kind of people he worked for ??? ) :NC

Is anything really “Bear proof “ … :roll: :frightened: Depends on the size of the Bear … :R
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:43 am

No such thing as a bear-proof cooler. They are too clever for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0iChz6bDcQ
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:14 am

Coleman recommends .75 lb of ice per qt of cooler. So a 70 qt cooler would need over 50 lbs of ice. http://www.coleman.com/Coleman-xtremecoolers.html 50 lbs of ice would be a bit over 25 quarts of space.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:39 am

Pinstriper wrote:But no refrigerator is going to cool a fish as fast as packing it in ice. And a good cooler can handle dry ice so you can clean and freeze your catch at camp when you get more than you can eat on your trip. I've done this with crab and clams as well as fish.

Need a freezer? No problem, just turn the fridge down and its a freezer. And BTW, I can keep my beer a lot colder using the fridge than I can with ice. :beer: :lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 am

bdosborn wrote:
Pinstriper wrote:But no refrigerator is going to cool a fish as fast as packing it in ice. And a good cooler can handle dry ice so you can clean and freeze your catch at camp when you get more than you can eat on your trip. I've done this with crab and clams as well as fish.

Need a freezer? No problem, just turn the fridge down and its a freezer. And BTW, I can keep my beer a lot colder using the fridge than I can with ice. :beer: :lol:

Bruce

Yeah, so....no. Air is less dense than water. Air at 35 deg will not have the same ability to soak up heat that even the melted ice water at 32deg, much less the ice itself.

Now, provided your electricity doesn't run out, a fridge will keep things cooler more conveniently than having to refresh ice every few days. But initial cooling will happen faster with ice.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Ive seen people use a 12V freezer to make ice to feed their coolers for longer trips.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion