Towing a 6 Foot Wide TTT

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Towing a 6 Foot Wide TTT

Postby EZ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Hello Again Forum Members,

Is anyone out there towing a 6 foot wide standie camper? I am wondering about the gas mileage, handling , etc. TV is presently a Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.8L.

Back in 2006 as I was planning and building the "Pigeon Coupe" I posted:
" I am sure I will be doing this again in another 5-8 years when my kids are grown. Then I will take the time and spend the money to do some quality work."

Sometime well after that.....I now have a Northern Tool 5 X 8 trailer kit on the way to the store for pickup. I am wanting to replicate Jerry's (Donutboy) Retro-Kamper (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=33938&hilit=retro+camper) which was initially inspired by The Puffin. Mostly replicating the layout and dimensions with no hope of replicating the workmanship. Also 12 years later the funds are still not limitless but maybe a little better.

I really look forward to this with a new wife who loves power tools and the smell of freshly cut wood. It is a blessing to be back on this board and also see so many familiar names.

EZ
EZ
Donating Member

Re: Towing a 6 Foot Wide TTT

Postby HarryL » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:40 pm

My Standie is 83 inches wide, outside wheel to wheel, 12 feet long and weighs 2600 lb. I can tow it with my Ford Escape or my Toyota Tundra. With the Ford you know it's there but no problems towing. With the Toyota Tundra, you don,t even know it's there. Surprisingly, gas mileage is not to different between the two vehicles. around 15 mpg for the Ford Escape and 12-13 for the Toyota Tundra. We prefer the Toyota truck because of the ease of towing and additional storage in the truck bed.
HarryL
Teardrop Builder

Re: Towing a 6 Foot Wide TTT

Postby mustangcats » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 pm

My TTT is 6 1/2 feet wide and 12 feet long (not including tongue) and the interior height is about 6' 3". The last time I weighed it, it weighed about 2800 lbs. My original tow vehicle was a 6 cylinder Dodge Dakota (I think it was the 3.7 Magnum engine) and I didn't feel too comfortable towing with it. The Dakota was too under powered to handle hills and mountain passes. My current tow vehicle is a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and it pulls the trailer like it isn't there. Gas mileage is about 13 mpg average when towing.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion