Noob, Looking to Get a TD...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Noob, Looking to Get a TD...

Postby ceedub1170 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:02 pm

I've been camping for 25 years. Started out in a tent, moved to a tent trailer, then hybrid, then 25 foot trailer, then on to a 30 footer. A few years ago we planted our trailer on a permanent site. We love it, but I really missed travelling around and seeing different parts of the country. So, last year, I bought a tent and started tenting again. I loved it! But, I hate the setup and takedown...especially in the rain.

I love the idea of getting a teardrop, but they aren't cheap. It'll be hard for me to convince my wife that we need 2 trailers. So, buying new is out of the question. I think I have enough skill to build one, but I'm a perfectionist and my skills aren't good enough to make it perfect. So, i will definitely not be happy with the final product.

So my question is, where can you find/buy a good used trailer? I live in Canada and there is absolutely nothing available on any of the used sites.

On an aside...I was looking at the Taxa trailers and they look amazing! But at $25000-$30000, I might have to win the lottery to get one. Lol
ceedub1170
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Noob, Looking to Get a TD...

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Hello my name it Todd and I'm a recovering perfectionist. I am building a drop now and I find myself sanding with 320 sandpaper, and recutting a piece of wood be cause it in off by a 64th. :? I keep telling myself it is a camper, not fine furniture.

If you have some tools, and the minimum skill to use them go for it. Probably more important is the room to build. Who says it has to be perfect? Is your trailer you have now up to your perfectionist standards? Because unless it is a custom one-off build I can almost guarantee it is not anywhere close to perfect. In fact an 8th grade wood shop class can probably build better.

For me is was buy at $25,000 which I wouldn't do or build for $5-6,000. I guess I'm a bigger cheapskate that perfectionist. :lol:

Todd

PS For me the mistakes I made all had easy ways to fix. Most people wouldn't even know. A seasoned teardrop builder might know but how care?
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:48 am

Might check the Foamie section … SAVE even more ( especially in the long run with much less maintenance ) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 am

keep your eye on the for sale section down below some come up in there ever now and then.
if it where me I would rather build for about 5k then spend 25k least with the 5k I get what I want
25k he gets what he wants 20k profit
you can do a lot of camping with 20k
well good luck and happy camping with what ever you do
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kinto » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm

I have a bag of camper building receipts (that I've still never got around to adding up) but started with a Northern Tool trailer which was around $500 & probably about $400 or so for most of the wood. Other than that the most expensive purchases were Aero-Marine epoxy (which I still have 1/2 left), windows/trim/hinge, queen size 6" memory foam mattress, small LCD TV, etc. There are of course all the small things that add up too, but can't imagine in it's current state that I spent more than maybe about $3,000 (if not less...)

Regarding perfectionism, I can be about some things too, but also figure this is a camper and I don't plan to enter it into any award shows or such. My wife & I have dragged that sucker all over the country through flying rocks, mud puddles, skinny thorny over-grown backwood washboard gravel "roads" during torrential storms with branches whipping & crashing all around.. it's come out the other side a little scratched & dinged but still dry on the inside!

Not to mention I get compliments & curiosity about it everywhere we go. I'm always the one standing there pointing out all the places I messed up or would do differently on the next one, but other people never notice that stuff. We are all our own worst critics!

So I think you should GO FOR IT!!! :thumbsup:

kent
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby HarleyCamper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:42 am

GPW wrote:Might check the Foamie section … SAVE even more ( especially in the long run with much less maintenance ) :thumbsup:

+1... when I build my next it will be a foamie standie. Plus the ease of repairs when it gets roughed up by life on the road and on adventures.
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion