Doug Hodder update

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Doug Hodder update

Postby tupelosue » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:40 am

I am sad to report that Doug left our world last night.

Thankfully, he was not alone, as George Boyett (aka Cherokee George) was with him, and George carried on their tradition of saying Good Night to him just as they used to do, side by side in their teardrop trailers, discussing their day, and no doubt rehearsing their comedy sketches for the next day.

I have been reminiscing over the many good times I’ve had with Doug, and how helpful he’s always been to me, sorting out issues with my Teardrop. He used to arrive early (like, 8am) at my Teardrop, knocking on the door, announcing “Housekeeping!” In a loud voice. Once he even delivered me breakfast and coffee.

The best advice he ever gave me was to crack my windows a little at night, explaining that otherwise I “might die, and that would ruin everybody’s weekend.”

RIP, Chief Walking Eagle, you will be missed greatly.
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:40 pm

So sad to hear of Doug's passing.
For some reason these lyrics of a Beatles song (In My Life) came to mind.
Rest well Doug.
:D Danny

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all...
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby dguff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:23 pm

I first met Doug at the 2005 International Gathering in Minden, Nebraska. He was camped not far from me and being from Northern California it seemed we had a lot in common. Since then we have camped dozens of times at various events. He was always known for his sense of humor, his generosity, his craftsmanship and his great presence. I am very sorry to hear of his passing but it was not unexpected due to his battle with cancer. RIP big guy.

Jerome Guffey :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 pm

:crying1:
His knowledge and skills will live on, here, on tnttt, and in his builds. His kindness and wit will live on in the fond memories we have of him.

He is gone; but, not forgotten.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Guys like Doug are rare. When you can touch people you have never met, you are a special person. I'm sorry I never got to shake his hand. My only contact was by phone and email, but I considered us friends. God Bless .
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kim Armstrong » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 pm

I never met him but talked to him once. Very nice. Just a thought if possible if there could be a sticky on all of his builds.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Never met Doug in person, but spend many a time together on the forum together. Once, he asked me for my address - he was going to send me something. Much to my surprise it was Coleman single burner military stove. :shock:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby nevadatear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Doug welcomed us into the teardrop community. Through him we made dozens of friends. We enjoyed camping with him whenever possible. His sense of humor was incredible. He was a funny, creative talented man and will be greatly missed in this family. And Sue, i can hear him shouting “housekeeping” right now!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Feeling very sad on hearing this. Doug, aka "Snoop Doggy Doug", and I conversed behind the scenes many times. It was always a pleasure and his sense of humour was great.
A really great guy gone way to soon.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:07 pm

Walking Eagle has Silver Wings now and is reunited with his beloved Daisy Dog...
He made this world a better place.
R.I.P. My Friend...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 am

Dean just sent me a message about Doug.
I first met him in Mendocino at the teardrop gathering behind a mobile home park along with many other fun teardop folks, in fact that is where I met Dean too. We drove the Prius up almost got lost and slept in a tent along side about 20 teardrops. And many others I would camp with from about 2007 till 2014. That all stopped do to a drunk who pushed us off the road coming home. And other factors.
Doug always was friendly and jolly The first thing you saw were his wild pants. Every trailer he made was interesting and a true perfection to see.
Just before going to the 2014 IRG I started building the Cross Bow (seen below) I had planed to build it in 3 months and pull it up. As I was working Doug came up with the idea because I always admired his Trolley top trailers, that maybe I would like to make one too. well that blue the 3 months out the window, and I had hoped to bring it to a gathering to show him. But 5 years latter I am still working on it. We pulled the old trailer up and maybe that was a blessing because the old trailer was the one that got run off the road.
He often made waffles and I loved them. We learned a lot from him too.

The Best part about Doug was he had a way of pulling stories out of people that were so funny that we fell off out chairs.

Doug you will be missed by every one you had contact with.

Ron Dickey
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:10 am

An artist has passed.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:04 am

So sorry to hear about Doug. I never met Doug, but many years ago he asked me for my address. To my surprise, he sent me a beautiful hand made jewelry box. Doug has been on the forum a long time. He will be missed.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Image[/url]

Rest in peace Doug. You will be missed. This is from ITG I don't remember which number.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby razorback » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:33 pm

I joined this forum in 2007. My favorite person to follow was Doug. His humor, his beautiful creations, all gave me the desire to meet him.
My wife and I made IRG 2014 and my goal to meet Doug was finally fulfilled. What a warm, friendly, modest individual. Thank you Doug for everything.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion