Tandem axle benefits?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tandem axle benefits?

Postby ferbal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:21 am

My original base trailer was boat trailer I shortened the tongue on. I threw a deck on it and have used it a few times for hauling stuff but I have not begun my build on it yet and i just picked up second boat trailer. I was able to get my second trailer cheap and my intention was to flip it (I can only keep one or I will be sleeping in the garage with them). The second trailer is a tandem axle and has optional brakes. I like the idea of the tandem axle but is it worth the extra weight? And what are the benefits of a tandem over a single. The two trailers I have are almost identical except for the extra axle, I can only keep one ...any thoughts? My tow vehicle is a RAV 4 so the extra weight capacity another axle offers would be unusable because I dont want a trailer that heavy.
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Tandem = Overkill

Postby Dusty Mark » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 am

My favorite Airstream design is a 20' single axle. I'm not sure of any "benefit" of a tandem axle in a teardrop. The extra axle would likely make door placement inconvenient as the extra set of tires would be in the way.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Re: Tandem axle benefits?

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 am

Double axles are there to boost the GVW to the trailer.

Assuming your building a teardrop, it makes no sense. No sense from the weight you're adding, no sense because of the turning issue of double axles and no sense from the added suspension stiffness.

And It'd be a real challenge to fit side doors to a double-axled teardrop. :thumbdown:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Tandem axle benefits?

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:49 pm

About 10 years ago, one of the members of this forum built a tear with tandem axles. Very cool looking tear! He had lengthened it overall to deal with the door/fender/axle conflict.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion