Naming my teardrop build

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Naming my teardrop build

Postby pralfred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 am

I am looking for help naming my teardrop build. My motorcycle (tow vehicle) has been dubbed "Sweet Chariot" after one of the Consolidated B-24 Liberator aircraft my grandfather worked on in WWII (he was an aircraft armorer), and I am building my drop to look aesthetically like a WWII era army camper (if such a thing were to exist, anyway). It, like the bike, is going to get painted in olive drab, and trimmed in black. The camper is also going to probably get a white star on the doors and my grandfather's group tail designator (a white circle with a capital "D" painted in black on the circle) painted on the tail-end of the camper body. I'm also doing some fun things like using an aircraft-style analog voltmeter and ampmeter to monitor my electrical system (though the hidden solar controller will provide the more accurate data). I just can't seem to come up with a suitable name for the build. I didn't feel like choosing another aircraft name since none of the others were quite as well suited as "Sweet Chariot" was for the bike. I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone might have some good ideas for a name for my camper.

Just because, I thought I'd attach a photo from my grandfather's old photo album. He's one of the two guys working on the plane, though no one remembers which person in the photo is him.

"While there is tea, there is hope." --Sir Arthur Pinero
pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Re: Naming my teardrop build

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 am

Something like this?

Tony :thinking:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 am

I have 2 suggestions, first would be Felix. It was the name of a bomb used in WW2, and you could play up the Felix the cat character. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VB-6_Felix
Alternatively you could go with Kilroy, as in Kilroy was here.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here
Personally, I like Kilroy , since it’s more related to travel, but still has a ww2 connection
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby JohnnyG » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Actually, I believe the plane in the photo is a B-25. The Liberator had four engines.
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Postby Shep505 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:15 pm

ww11 tank destroyer called the M18 Hellcat. Hellcat sounds like a cool name to me.
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 pm

B-25's were bad ass. They were responsible for the first bombing raid on the Japanese mainland. Doolittle's Raiders!
There was one that was named "Executive Sweet". That may be appropriate.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby shootr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Hells Belle

Junior

Section 8

Ramblin' Wreck

Bulging Betty

Flak House

Snoopy

Warthog

This site is kinda neat:
http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/airplane-names.php#.WqneDSjwZEY

(Just googling around while smoking my cigar...)
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby pralfred » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 pm

tony.latham wrote:Something like this?

Tony :thinking:

Actually, that photo is one that I took inspiration from for my build!

Socal Tom wrote:I have 2 suggestions, first would be Felix. It was the name of a bomb used in WW2, and you could play up the Felix the cat character. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VB-6_Felix
Alternatively you could go with Kilroy, as in Kilroy was here.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here
Personally, I like Kilroy , since it’s more related to travel, but still has a ww2 connection

I like both of these ideas! A lot!

JohnnyG wrote:Actually, I believe the plane in the photo is a B-25. The Liberator had four engines.

You are correct that the B-24 had four engines, and the plane in the photo is a B-25. I'm not sure why my grandfather was working on the plane in the photo, but his squadron, and his entire bomb group, were B-24s. Sadly, by the time I was old enough to take interest in asking my grandfather about any of this he had passed away. Apparently, he never talked much about his military service, so most of the family does not have a lot of info for me either.

Shep505 wrote:ww11 tank destroyer called the M18 Hellcat. Hellcat sounds like a cool name to me.

This is also a good suggestion, however I'm liking the "Felix" idea given it was the name of a bomb and my grandfather put bombs on planes. Hellcat is a super cool name though!

friz wrote:B-25's were bad ass. They were responsible for the first bombing raid on the Japanese mainland. Doolittle's Raiders!
There was one that was named "Executive Sweet". That may be appropriate.

B-25s were very cool planes! They were basically a pared-down B-24 and their selection for Doolittle's Raiders was because they could actually take off from a carrier deck.

shootr wrote:Hells Belle
Junior
Section 8
Ramblin' Wreck
Bulging Betty
Flak House
Snoopy
Warthog
This site is kinda neat:
http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/airplane-names.php#.WqneDSjwZEY

(Just googling around while smoking my cigar...)

These are also some good suggestions. You're not the first to suggest Snoopy, lol. I had a couple of friends suggest that one too. I'm really liking the Felix suggestion though...though I'm not sure how my service dog will feel about sleeping in a trailer named for a cat, lol. She might prefer Snoopy, lol!
pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 pm

How about this ol' WW2 character?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby pralfred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:44 pm

tony.latham wrote:How about this ol' WW2 character?

:thinking:

Tony

Killroy and Felix are the two top contenders from the suggestions so far here. I did just find out (based on an aircraft listing on the 8th AF Historical Society website) that there was a plane in my grandfather's squadron called "Li'l Gypsy", and I'm kind-of liking that name too. I hadn't seen this one listed on the 392nd Bomb Group Memorial Association aircraft listing, but then it's just as likely I missed it there. Amusingly, I ran across the 8th AF HS website while researching info relating to the VB-6 Felix bomb, lol. That led to finding additional info about aircraft assigned to my grandfather's squadron (579th Bomb Sq), and thus the info on "Li'l Gypsy". What do y'all think of naming my build "Li'l Gypsy"?

pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Postby Florida Native » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:05 pm

friz wrote:There was one that was named "Executive Sweet".

Playing off that and the bike's name... how about "Sweet Suite"?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby nagnificent » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 am

pralfred wrote:I am looking for help naming my teardrop build. My motorcycle (tow vehicle) has been dubbed "Sweet Chariot" after one of the Consolidated B-24 Liberator aircraft my grandfather worked on in WWII (he was an aircraft armorer), and I am building my drop to look aesthetically like a WWII era army camper (if such a thing were to exist, anyway). It, like the bike, is going to get painted in olive drab, and trimmed in black. The camper is also going to probably get a white star on the doors and my grandfather's group tail designator (a white circle with a capital "D" painted in black on the circle) painted on the tail-end of the camper body. I'm also doing some fun things like using an aircraft-style analog voltmeter and ampmeter to monitor my electrical system (though the hidden solar controller will provide the more accurate data). I just can't seem to come up with a suitable name for the build. I didn't feel like choosing another aircraft name since none of the others were quite as well suited as "Sweet Chariot" was for the bike. I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone might have some good ideas for a name for my camper.

Just because, I thought I'd attach a photo from my grandfather's old photo album. He's one of the two guys working on the plane, though no one remembers which person in the photo is him.

This isn't related to WWII, but I think it sounds cool. JOY. "Sweet Chariots Joy" I like that, after all it will give you much joy, and it's short too. That won't hurt. Easier for a personalized plate. Lol

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
nagnificent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Swing low.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion