Tick defense?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tick defense?

Postby ae6black » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Does anybody know of anything that I can spray on my dog that will repel ticks? I use NexGuard chewable that poisons the ticks that my vet recommends. So a tick and flea Collar is out of the question because I don't want to poison the dog. Since we sleep the the TD together, I don't want the darn things bailing on him and coming after me. I swear Pa ticks love the vinegar spray that some recommend. It might even draw them. Does anybody know of anything safe for both the dog and his buddy, me?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Tick defense?

Postby Olddog1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:10 pm

For hiking we use Sawyer Permethrin, at Walmart, as a repellent on clothing. One of our group soaks a bandana and ties it around his dogs neck. He also treats his pack but the pack isn't worn full time. Don't know if it will help. Follow precautions on container.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:13 am

Someone once told me ticks don't like Irish Spring, maybe give dog bath with it before going on outing? We use it regularly at home and live in tick country, don't have tick problem, maybe coincidence...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rtylla » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:36 pm

We also buy Sawyer Permethrin and spray several sets of clothes for both of us. Do socks, shoes and undies too. It will last for 4 to 6 washing before it needs a new treatment. We have done this for the past 2 seasons and have been tick free. We spend a lot of time in the middle of the woods in Northern Wisconsin, the tick capital of the world.
Rick and Ginny
Sheboygan, WI
rtylla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Karen Clancy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:33 pm

rtylla , Is that a 5x8 retro ride trailer from blake & stuart ?? in Plover ?? how do you like it. We bought one in july 16 and love it
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ae6black » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

So how much do you spray on your clothes? Do you get it pretty wet or just hit it with a fine mist and then let dry? Never used the stuff before. I asked my vet and he didn't recommend spraying the dog or letting him come in contact with any that was wet. He also frowned upon tying a bandana that had been treated and dried around the dog's neck. I am definitely going to use some on me. After pulling about 8 ticks at one time off each of my legs during this year's buck season, I'll try anything. I hate ticks. I can't figure out why the birds or some other critter doesn't like them.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby rtylla » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 am

Karen Clancy wrote:rtylla , Is that a 5x8 retro ride trailer from blake & stuart ?? in Plover ?? how do you like it. We bought one in july 16 and love it

Yes it is, we picked it up last November and put it right into storage. We'll be pulling it home soon to add some of our creature comforts to it. We'll be towing it to Alaska in June.
Rick and Ginny
Sheboygan, WI
rtylla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rtylla » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 am

ae6black wrote:So how much do you spray on your clothes? Do you get it pretty wet or just hit it with a fine mist and then let dry? Never used the stuff before. I asked my vet and he didn't recommend spraying the dog or letting him come in contact with any that was wet. He also frowned upon tying a bandana that had been treated and dried around the dog's neck. I am definitely going to use some on me. After pulling about 8 ticks at one time off each of my legs during this year's buck season, I'll try anything. I hate ticks. I can't figure out why the birds or some other critter doesn't like them.

Art

Just follow the instructions on the can. It is more than a repellant, it will kill ticks on the clothes. You just get them damp. As I recall there is enough in one can to do a couple of sets of clothes. One it dries it is safe around kids and dogs. I think I remember to keep it away from cats.

I hate the things too but I like the outdoors to much to let that stop me.

Good luck
Rick and Ginny
Sheboygan, WI
rtylla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Karen Clancy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:04 am

I believe that it is allowed on dogs BUT NOT ON CATS Check either the package or there web site . RTYllA I see that your going the the Cooler event we also have a retro ride tear purchased in July 2016 . We'll have to look our 2 trailers over ,ours has changed sooooo much don't even know if they would recognize it as one of theirs.
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rtylla » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:14 am

Karen, We haven't changed anything yet, I hope to be adding a solar panel in the next few weeks. Yes we are going to the cooler event, our first trip in the retroride. We will only be pulling it 5 miles to get there though.
Rick and Ginny
Sheboygan, WI
rtylla
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion