Cork in place of foam

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Cork in place of foam

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:04 pm

The thread on sourcing foam got me thinking and hunting around - having some time after just having finished this week a 3-4 moth period of 12+ hour days 7 days a week - and I started thinking about cork - expanded cork panels - as the core for stressed skin panels - using ply skins. (No idea if a "corky" would ever be a possibility but possibly interesting appearance with fiberglass and epoxy over.)

Yes - about 5 times the cost of foam - but how much is the foam a part of the cost of a typical tear? $1000 instead of $200 in a $3000-10000 project? I don't know.

Not that its a big concern of mine but it is a much "greener" materiel with fewer documented health and fire hazards, and may be a little better acoustically. Hard to quantify.

I did find one link that has some info, which I have yet to thoroughly study. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5455286/
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cork in place of foam

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Experimental ??? … best build one and try it out , then tell us how you like it … ;) no reason it wouldn’t work … :thinking:

I thought cork trees were endangered , why everybody went to plastic corks and screw tops ??? … not sure :NC
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 pm

It sems cork might be endangerd because of the move by wine makers from cork to plastic, thus less motivation to maintain the trees. Several hits suggested cork being endangered were a myth but that is the problem today, is its hard to really know.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby minstrel » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:31 am

The wineries moved from cork to plastic/screw tops because the wine keeps better.....the loss from bottles "going bad" decreases significantly by scrapping the cork. :wine:
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:40 am

minstrel wrote:The wineries moved from cork to plastic/screw tops because the wine keeps better.....the loss from bottles "going bad" decreases significantly by scrapping the cork. :wine:

I dont know which came fitst - plastic and metal csps cost much less than cork or do as goid as or better job than cork. Since some 70% of cork has been used for wine, its easy to see it as endangered because there is no market.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby low277 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:01 pm

I know that cork was used as insulation in large walk in freezers as late as the 1970s, I helped remove one from a old turkey processing plant in the 1980s, and where I work now there is still a old freezer that is insulated with cork, it is now used for record storage.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion