Goodyear Tires

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Goodyear Tires

Postby bdosborn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Anyone who has had a Goodyear Marathon tire fail might be interested in this article:

Goodyear Knew Of Dangerous RV Tire Failures For Over 20 Years

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: Goodyear Tires

Postby gudmund » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:43 pm

in just this last year Goodyear announced they are now making their trailer/rv tires here in the United States and not China any longer - yet a few weeks ago I saw at a W-M the China made Goodyear Marathons on their tire rake still in stock ..................... :roll:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 am

Gotta sell the old stock first, ramping up a production line takes a long time.

Hear good things about Sailun, specifically S637 line for trailers. . .

Saying Asian factories can't make top-notch quality is such a cop-out. The brand owner just needs to make the necessary investment in onsite and adversarial oversight, stringent and multi-layered QA verification procedures, ensuring seconds actually get scrapped or at least the brand wiped off, etc.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:08 pm

after reading about all of the problems with 'this' tire and other tires 'made in China', I for one, read the bead 'made in' and 'date made code' of every tire I look at and will not buy any of them from China or over a year old since made. (and yes after saying this - I just bought a new teardrop and it has what it came with on it - China made tires that I am stuck with for now :? )
gudmund
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Look at what the OTR trucks doing 100+k miles a year use.

Usually pretty patriotic fellas too.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:44 pm

look at any tire being sold on the market today - you would be shocked to find all of the American named brands that ARE NOT made in the states or even are an American brand any longer being they are owned by some other company from some other country. Firestone owned by Bridgestone - General owned by Continental - Cooper owned by an India company - etc -etc etc.... Like all of the oil company's that are owned by other oil company's -- Shell owns Pennzoil/Quaker State - British Petroleum owns Castrol/Arco - Exxon owns Mobil - Chevron owns Texaco - and on and on........ The one thing I do know is when looking at "any" brand of tire, the country of where it was made is printed alone the bead and like I said, after all of the problems being reported with 'trailer tires' in the RV industry, I try to stay away of the 'made in China' ones. (years ago -seventy's- due to their problems and when Firestone still made their own tires/now owned by Bridgestone - I stayed away from Firestone 500's also................... take care
gudmund
500 Club

Return to General Discussion