Registering your trailer in pa

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Registering your trailer in pa

Postby poohquilt » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:30 am

Can anyone tell me when you registered your teardrop did you do it as a camper trailer or just a utility trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poohquilt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Registering your trailer in pa

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:49 am

Will be much easier to register as a utility trailer first, and then build.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:02 am

greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 am

I've compiled newer information (circa 2014) on the TearJerkers site, under the Liberty Bell Chapter forum.... http://tearjerkers.net/new_forum/viewto ... 486#p86486

It may or may not still work like this. I have not needed to register a homebuilt since 2014.

<<< OPTION 1 >>>

REGISTER AND TITLE YOUR TRAILER IN PENNSYLVANIA

I have obtained much of my information from PennDOT's Specially Constructed Vehicle Fact Sheet, as well as my own experiences. I've visited with multiple notaries and was given the exact same information at each.

1. Buy your trailer kit
KEEP YOUR RECEIPT! Put it with your trailer's Certificate of Origin. You will be need to
submit all receipts, instructions, and paperwork to a notary.

2. Assemble your kit
Be sure that all lights work, and safety chains are present. (You do not need to put a
plywood deck on to get it inspected. If you do put a plywood deck on your trailer, put
that receipt with your Certificate of Origin and trailer receipt. This will need to be submitted to PennDOT.)

3. Take pictures
Take 4 pictures of the assembled trailer. Be sure to show each side of the trailer,
making sure to show that all lights are in place. Also be sure that the safety
chains are clearly visible in a couple of the pictures.

4. Find an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Station
If this link expires for some reason, you can find the stations list from PennDOT's
Motor Vehicle Services website. While you're at PennDOT's Site, print out form MV-426B.
Fill in as much information on the form as you know. Call the inspection stations in your area
that are certified to inspect trailers less than 10,000GVWR (marked by an X in the "Type 5" column
of the enhanced inspection station list). Be sure to tell them that you have a single axle trailer
assembled from a kit. The first "enhanced station" I called wanted $250 for the inspection.
Seriously?? $250 inspection for a $250 trailer?? Eventually I found a place that would do it for
$50+tax. Do your homework and call every single place near you. Look in neighboring counties if you have to.

6. Find a certified weigh station
These are typically found at concrete plants, quarries, etc. Go get your trailer weighed. This shouldn't
cost more than $5. For your $5, they will give you a piece of paper that says your trailer weighs XXX lbs.

7. Get your inspection
Take your trailer to the enhanced inspection station. Also take your 4 pictures, your insurance card
for your tow vehicle, your MV-426B, and your certified weight slip. The inspector will complete the MV-426B,
and give everything back to you. My inspector even signed the backs of the 4 pictures, as if to certify
that they were indeed pictures of the trailer he was inspecting.

8. Go to a notary
TAKE EVERYTHING WITH YOU: Trailer assembly manual, receipts, Certificate of Origin, the 4 pictures,
and your weight slip. They may or may not ask for the assembly manual... better safe than sorry.
For registration and notary fees, you can expect to pay $60-$80 total. This type of registration CAN NOT
be done over the counter at PennDOT's headquarters in Harrisburg. You must do this through a notary.

8. Wait for your tags
Each notary I contacted told me that it takes 4-6 weeks to receive your plates. PennDOT told me the
exact same thing. I received my license plate in a little over a week. My results may not be typical.

NOTE: Some inspection stations may insist on filling out the MV-426B and
taking their own pictures. Verify their procedure before you go through the hassle.

If all that sounds like too much of a hassle....

<<< OPTION 2 >>>

REGISTER YOUR TRAILER IN MAINE (AS A NON-RESIDENT)

The state of Maine will issue registration for utility trailers to non-residents. However, Maine does not issue titles for trailers less than 3,000GVWR. They will also not issue an official "RV" registration to non-residents. They will only issue registration (a license plate). You will retain possession of the trailer kit's Certificate of Origin, and that will be your proof of ownership, rather than a state-issued title. Many, many, many people have done this, and nobody that I'm aware of (including myself) has ever had any problems with this.

1. Call the Maine Department of Motor Vehicles.
The number you want to dial is (207)624-9000, extension 52151. Tell them you want
to register a trailer as a non-resident. They'll take your address and send the forms
that you need right away. I think it took me 2 or 3 days to get the forms.

2. Open your packet of forms.
Since the trailer kit has a GVW of less than 3,000 pounds, Maine will not issue a title for
it, so you can throw out the MVT-1 form (Application for Certificate of Title). The Certificate
of Origin acts as your proof of ownership. All you're interested in is getting the trailer
registered so that you can have a license plate. Fill out the yellow "Tax Use Certificate"
stating that you've already paid sales tax in PA. The final form to complete is the
white MVR-1 (State of Maine Vehicle Registration). Fill this form out using the information
from the Certiifcate of Origin. Don't forget to fill out the BACK of the MVR-1,
making sure to sign where indicated.

3. Send your forms to Maine.
When I send my paperwork, I like to include everything just in case. The two forms that are
required are the yellow "Tax Use Certificate" and the white MVR-1 "State of Maine Vehicle Registration".
In addition to those two forms, you also need to send a photocopy of the receipt, proving that
you did pay sales tax. I also like to include a photocopy of my Drivers License and the Certificate
of Origin. The final item they need is a check for either $10.50 or $21, depending on how long
you want to register the trailer for.

Thats it! Just wait for your Maine license plate to arrive!
No pictures, no inspections, no red tape. Just 2 forms, some photocopies, and a check.

(Thanks goes to Len Daddona for originally sharing the Maine registration secret) ;thumbsup;
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion