ARB Awning mounting and review

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

ARB Awning mounting and review

Postby kokomoto » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:38 am

I previously promised a review of the ARB that I installed on my TD last fall. I have had a chance to use it a few times, and thought I should pass on what I've learned about it so far.

IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG (97.85 KiB) Viewed 871 times

I purchased the ARB Awning 2000 (814201) Model last fall at Overland Expo East. Here's the details:

About the Product:

Easy to mount and operate, these retractable awnings fit on to the side of a roof rack, and are conveniently stored for immediate use on arrival. Specifically designed for harsh outback conditions, the awnings are rugged but lightweight, and provide fast and convenient protection from the elements.

Awning storage cover made from pvc lined polyester
Waterproof and uv protected
Self standing awning takes 30 seconds to deploy
Awning is secured in a heavy duty nylon reinforced pvc bag
Mounts easily to the side of most roof racks or roof bars with optional hardware
Awning height adjustable with telescopic legs
Optional mosquito net available for extra protection
Comes with pegs and guy ropes for securing legs, mounting nuts and bolts, spanner and comprehensive instructions
Size: 78.74" (2000mm) wide x 98.43" (2500mm) extended

I looked at means of attaching it to the TD, and decided that a Thule roof rack would be the best method. I did not want to have any more holes in the roof line than necessary, so I needed a mount that would bolt onto the wall. I thought about using the gutter mounts until I stumbled across these Stainless Steel Roof Rack Brackets from SoCal Teardrops:

83cad.png
83cad.png (152.78 KiB) Viewed 871 times

I found some brackets to attach the awning to the roof rack.

awningbracket+(2+of+7).jpg
awningbracket+(2+of+7).jpg (192.67 KiB) Viewed 871 times

We chose the awning model that measures approx 6.5' x 8'. It provides enough space for the Mrs and me. It appears well made with quality components, and ARB has a reputation for providing excellent customer service. One customer reported that ARB replaced an aluminum pole that had been bent in a particularly nasty storm without much fuss.

Setup is quick and easy with two people. Single person setup is a frustrating affair, but can be accomplished with only mild use of profanity. I stays put in normal wind conditions. Make sure that you lower a corner when it rains to shed the water from the top. I neglected to do this on our first outing when we had heavy rain during the night, and found the middle of the awning filled with water the next morning. I thought that I had ruined the awning, but the fabric sprang back into shape. None of the poles were bent, and all is well.

We also purchased the ARB 2000 X 2500 DELUXE AWNING ROOM WITH FLOOR (813208A). It is designed to work with the awning. There is an opening which we hope will mate nicely with the TD door, and another for access to the room. We haven't used it yet, but plan to this coming weekend at a TearJerkers gathering at Hornsby Hollow Campground. It has both solid walls and screen walls. It will provide a lot of extra space out of the elements.

There are a number of companies making similar awnings. I would definitely buy this awning again. :thumbsup:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion