Help, I hung my door too low...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Help, I hung my door too low...

Postby dancam » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:59 am

So i made a mistake and hung my one door too low. I cant exactly put the screws for the hinges in 1/8th higher. So what would be your suggestions for a different sealing method? Or somehow moving the door?

ImageImageImage

My inner door is perfect, not sure why i messed up the outer one...Image

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Re: Help, I hung my door too low...

Postby John61CT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Into steel? Brazing the holes maybe easier than cutting in a new piece.

Then again, there are amazing adhesives these days, try 3M VHB tape?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:40 pm

dancam wrote:So i made a mistake and hung my one door too low. I cant exactly put the screws for the hinges in 1/8th higher. So what would be your suggestions for a different sealing method? Or somehow moving the door?
I might have a solution for you, not a conventional one for teardrops, but it has worked for my application: from another thread
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68383
working on it wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:Do you think the door bottom can be too low? This is of course can be constrained by the door height, but if that is not set, what are the negatives of it being lower, particularly home built doors?
  • The OP was asking about door height using pre-made Challenger doors, which I assume come mounted in a full perimeter frame. With that in mind, there would have to be a wall surface of sufficient height above the trailer frame to bolt/screw the doorframe to. That would limit how low the door can be. In QueticoBill's case, and the same goes for my trailer, the doors can go lower, either resting on the trailer frame (I assume using a water-resistant threshold) or at least a door sweep, to deter water intrusion. A standard rubber weatherstrip wouldn't work, in a small TD or TTT, because of contact with an occupant's derriere, when entering or exiting thru a short door (especially in a 4x8). Larger door sizes, in a standy or cargo conversion, would pose no need to enter while sitting down, so a full perimeter doorseal could be used.
  • 102813105587 doors go to wall bottom, 3/4" above frame (resting on floor)
  • door sweep and threshold.PNG
    door sweep and threshold.PNG (111.45 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
    pieces used in lieu of full perimeter doorseal
  • door and automotive seal.png
    door and automotive seal.png (258.52 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
    upper door uses rubber seal not possible at floor
I neglected to point out that my solid 3/4" plywood doors are tightly sealed by the automotive seals ('67-'72 Chevy truck doorseals, cut and trimmed to fit) on top & sides, and the door bottom is forced over the aluminum threshold, without a rubber seal, so tightly (so tightly that I use a kickplate to cover the spot on the door, where I use my knee to forcibly seal it), there is no possible water intrusion point...I made sure to seal the end-grain on the door, and re-seal it with more polyurethane each year. The door sweep is just a safeguard against wind-driven rain, and deters surface-tension from directing water to the threshold area.
kickplate, for knee-ing the door shut.jpg
kickplate, for knee-ing the door shut.jpg (80.46 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
with my bad knees, I probably shouldn't knee my doors shut
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Could you remove the hinge, drill new holes in the hinge for the door side of the hinge, raise the door, and screw the hinge back onto the door so the the new holes are far enough away from the old holes to get a good bite?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:13 pm

How did you build the doors? You can move the hinges depending
on how large the support is for them. You can always fill the screw
holes and drill new ones if needed too...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dancam » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

John61CT wrote:Into steel? Brazing the holes maybe easier than cutting in a new piece.

Then again, there are amazing adhesives these days, try 3M VHB tape?

The doors and walls are wood.
3m tape to hold the hinges on you mean?

working on it wrote:
dancam wrote:So i made a mistake and hung my one door too low. I cant exactly put the screws for the hinges in 1/8th higher. So what would be your suggestions for a different sealing method? Or somehow moving the door?
I might have a solution for you, not a conventional one for teardrops, but it has worked for my application: from another thread
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68383
working on it wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:Do you think the door bottom can be too low? This is of course can be constrained by the door height, but if that is not set, what are the negatives of it being lower, particularly home built doors?
  • The OP was asking about door height using pre-made Challenger doors, which I assume come mounted in a full perimeter frame. With that in mind, there would have to be a wall surface of sufficient height above the trailer frame to bolt/screw the doorframe to. That would limit how low the door can be. In QueticoBill's case, and the same goes for my trailer, the doors can go lower, either resting on the trailer frame (I assume using a water-resistant threshold) or at least a door sweep, to deter water intrusion. A standard rubber weatherstrip wouldn't work, in a small TD or TTT, because of contact with an occupant's derriere, when entering or exiting thru a short door (especially in a 4x8). Larger door sizes, in a standy or cargo conversion, would pose no need to enter while sitting down, so a full perimeter doorseal could be used.
  • 102813105587 doors go to wall bottom, 3/4" above frame (resting on floor)
  • door sweep and threshold.PNG
    pieces used in lieu of full perimeter doorseal
  • door and automotive seal.png
    upper door uses rubber seal not possible at floor
I neglected to point out that my solid 3/4" plywood doors are tightly sealed by the automotive seals ('67-'72 Chevy truck doorseals, cut and trimmed to fit) on top & sides, and the door bottom is forced over the aluminum threshold, without a rubber seal, so tightly (so tightly that I use a kickplate to cover the spot on the door, where I use my knee to forcibly seal it), there is no possible water intrusion point...I made sure to seal the end-grain on the door, and re-seal it with more polyurethane each year. The door sweep is just a safeguard against wind-driven rain, and deters surface-tension from directing water to the threshold area.
kickplate, for knee-ing the door shut.jpg
with my bad knees, I probably shouldn't knee my doors shut

Thats an interesting idea! Ill have to give it some more thought. 2 things make it more challenging on my trailer than yours. One is mine is at the back so i have to worry about dust and road spray water from the tires. Second is that this is the outer half of my pop up trailer. It lifts up to sleep in, to travel it goes down and seals ob weatherstripping when i latch it down. So there is some movement over bumps and the bottom of my wall is obiously not solidly attached. Even now with just a really snug seal the bottom of the wall wants to kick out when i close the door, i have to hold the wall as i close the door...
Is this the aluminum at the bottom of your door?

featherliteCT1 wrote:Could you remove the hinge, drill new holes in the hinge for the door side of the hinge, raise the door, and screw the hinge back onto the door so the the new holes are far enough away from the old holes to get a good bite?

I briefly considered that before asking here and decided no, because when bouncing down the road the door would probably come back down. However, i should find out what these hinges are made of. Perhaps i could slot the holes down and weld up the old part of the holes so it cand move.
Thanks!

pchast wrote:How did you build the doors? You can move the hinges depending
on how large the support is for them. You can always fill the screw
holes and drill new ones if needed too...

Doors are plywood layers frame with foam in the middle. So the hinge screws are going into the end of 5 laminated sheets of plywood. Not the strongest for screws, but an easy way to build a door... to move the screw holes they would only be moving 3/4 of a screw hole width and i wouldnt trust it.

dancam
500 Club

Postby Nodrog » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Hey Dancam- I think what the poster above is suggesting is to move the hinges on the frame or wall and the door both, everything gets new holes. Move both a cm but put the door in the right place when you rehang it! Will that work or what did I miss? You must be getting the trailer done? Later...Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 am

OK didn't get wood frame, just cut out the segment and glue a filler block.

Screwing into the **edge** of plywood?

Doesn't sound stable long-term to me?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bc toys » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:38 am

get some golf tees and glue them in the old holes hammer them in tight let dry cut off excess and raise door and resrew it where you want it to be
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 am

bc toys wrote:get some golf tees and glue them in the old holes hammer them in tight let dry cut off excess and raise door and resrew it where you want it to be

Exactly. You might scratch some grooves into them first and slather with epoxy.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Is there a reason you can't cut an eighth of an inch off the bottom of the door and reseal it?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dancam » Mon May 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Nodrog wrote:Hey Dancam- I think what the poster above is suggesting is to move the hinges on the frame or wall and the door both, everything gets new holes. Move both a cm but put the door in the right place when you rehang it! Will that work or what did I miss? You must be getting the trailer done? Later...Nodrog
Oh, i see. When you said that i went to look at the door and realized that while i had enough room to do that when the door was closed my overhang saggs a bit and the door might rub it when open if i did that. :/ this wouod have been the best plan though.
John61CT wrote:OK didn't get wood frame, just cut out the segment and glue a filler block.

Screwing into the **edge** of plywood?

Doesn't sound stable long-term to me?
Yeah, not the best, but hopefully it works
bc toys wrote:get some golf tees and glue them in the old holes hammer them in tight let dry cut off excess and raise door and resrew it where you want it to be
Woodbutcher wrote:Is there a reason you can't cut an eighth of an inch off the bottom of the door and reseal it?
I really didnt want to. I was scared of it chipping and didnt want to reseal it in fear of it not getting completely sealed. Its what i ended up doing though. Chipped some massive splinters off so now my nice door is ugly. Sealed the bottom with the mix. Once thats dry i will use wood filler on the spintered areas and then paint it.

dancam
500 Club

Postby REIGNSS » Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 am

FYI, masking or painters tape applied over the area you're cutting does wonders to keep wood from splintering
REIGNSS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jiminsav » Sun May 27, 2018 11:19 am

my question is, why do you have an inner and outer door...you building a Masonic teardrop?
:D
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dancam » Sun May 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Jiminsav wrote:my question is, why do you have an inner and outer door...you building a Masonic teardrop?
:D
Lol, its a pop up trailer ImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion