Frozen deadbolt lock cylinder

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Frozen deadbolt lock cylinder

Postby abikerider » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:43 pm

I was curious if anyone has run into this problem. We have a teardrop with a Global Link flush entry door lock as shown here http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys ... 0-2006-1PK Recently while camping, the deadbolt stopped working in the locked position. We can't insert the key fully or rotate the cylinder. Luckily our teardrop has two doors so we were still able to get in and out. Now that I am home I was able to take it apart and investigate. It appears that the problem is soley with the lock cylinder itself. I found that FIC locks are being recalled for an identical problem.

Is this something that would be covered under a waranty? Is there a way to replace the lock cylinder or should I just replace the whole lock? If I replace the lock, which brand is is most reliable or has the best waranty? Thank for any advice.
abikerider
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Frozen deadbolt lock cylinder

Postby mustangcats » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:34 pm

I had the same thing happen to me last summer while on vacation. Only way in was to drill out the lock cylinder. Read my story here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=69439
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:42 pm

This happened to mine as well, about a year ago. It turned out that when I removed the key, I inadvertently rotated the outside half of the lock cylinder 90° independent of the inside. (This should not be possible except with a design flaw.) There was nothing I could do to fix it once the key was removed. The key would not go in all the way nor turn. However, a local locksmith was able to fix it using lock picks. His advice: always pull the key out straight.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby abikerider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:04 am

I went on the FIC site and put in a recall claim for my still-functioning FIC lockset on the other side. I then decided to buy another FIC lock (to replace the Global Link lock that is frozen) and 4 matching lock cores off ebay. I figured I prefer a company that owns up to its mistakes like FIC and I want one key for all the locks.The new cores should have the updated design.

I wish I had known about this recall before this happened.
abikerider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby abikerider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 am

ifhoward,
I tried using lock picking techniques based on your story and was able to get the cylinder to rotate 90 degrees so that the key now works! I basically stuck a small screwdriver in the slot and put torque on it in the direction I wanted it to turn. Simultaneously, I used a miniature screwdriver to drag across the tumblers until it moved. Once again, this would have been usefull information at the time.

I still plan on putting in the new lock cores so that the problem does not reoccur and they are all keyed alike. I also found a similar technique for removing and installing the cores online so I don't need the $23 special core removing key. :)
abikerider
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion