Anyone want some oak lumber?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Anyone want some oak lumber?

Postby daveesl77 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 am

We moved from FL to West Virginia and I've been looking for somewhere that sells hardwood, rough cut. I finally found a place today, just a few miles from our house. I don't need a whole bunch and their prices seem really good. The company doesn't usually sell small quantities as they wholesale in large quantities, but they do have three basic prices on some oak I saw in small lots...

Clear boards 4/4 - $1.60 per board foot, will sell as little as 100 board foot.

Non-clear 4/4 - $1.00 per board foot. This will have some knots and imperfections. 200 board foot minimum

Cull or furniture frame quality - 1" (can vary) in thickness, may have voids, knots, bark $0.45 per board foot, minimum of 500 board foot. 10' and longer lengths avail.

So,my initial thought was to get 100 board feet of the clear, which would do all I needed for the two projects I wanted. But thinking about the cull (which looked pretty good for culls), I have no use for 500 or more board feet, but if anyone is in the Eastern WV area and wants some, then perhaps we can go in together on it. You'd have to pick it up from my home in Marlinton, WV if we did this. I'd buy the bundle, then you could purchase your share at my cost when you picked it up.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: Anyone want some oak lumber?

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Those are very good prices!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:26 pm

I only priced out the oak. They also do maple, hickory, poplar, cherry and others. Only hardwoods, no conifers. This is a big operation and I was surprised they sold anything to the public. I have to give them a couple of weeks notice. It is some really good prices.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 am

how long is it? Since I have a lumber mill just down the street I am probably not interested, but I do like to pick up a bargain and you have found a bargain. If you could store it I think you'd find a use for it. I generally take my scrap and use it for campfires when I don't use it for little projects like cutting boards.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:45 pm

it runs 8 to 18 feet. 6" to 14" wide. That is why I have to order it, to set the size. They then pull it from runs that they are doing for real customers. All air dried.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion