Rain days in camp?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Rain days in camp?

Postby Cosmo » Sat May 12, 2018 8:10 am

A rainy day in camp beats a sunny day at work 100% of the time.
I don't let the rain stop me (unless I change my mind).
I am always looking for tips from the group to improve the "rain system".

https://youtu.be/RW_e9KGKSxM

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby les45 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:57 am

Breakfast under the EZ Up and then break camp and go home. I just don't do rain (camping, hiking, fishing, etc.). We don't even reserve a campsite until ten days out when we can get a good dry forecast.
les45
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat May 12, 2018 11:35 am

Love rain! I grew up in upstate NY and we always seemed to pick the rainiest days to camp. It'd be a struggle to get the fires going and keeps some clothes dry, but we'd go hiking and have fun, and (not unlike repeatedly hitting my own head) it felt so good when the rain finally stopped! :D

Fast forward about 40 years: Last really rainy camping I did was in 2013, tent camping in Northern Colorado near what became a flood disaster area. (Though I only discovered that listening to the radio on the way home.) It felt so good to sleep in a quality tent with a dry sleeping bag! As a kid, I couldn't afford a Coleman stove (or a good tent), so those were a real treats, and it was warm enough not to need a fire. I had a Walmart tarp up over a picnic table, so it wasn't really bad at all.

I don't mind hiking in the rain--the trees usually mitigate the worst of it. (I also now can afford quality boots, something else I never had growing up.) When I got bored with hiking, I jeeped around (on 4wd trails that were more rock than mud). One day I went into a nearby town and spent the morning in a local museum. Spent the afternoon back at camp reading and baking bread.

Met my wife that Winter and as a pair we haven't yet had a trip where it rained all the time. We pick areas with lots of things to drive to, and have visited historic cabins, taken dam tours, and saw museums, visitor centers, etc. while it rained. Really, it seldom rains all day in the Rockies, and we expect thunderstorms in the afternoon, so we plan accordingly. As a pair, we haven't sat in our camp bored yet, nor broke camp early due to weather.

Can't wait to spend the first rainy night in our teardrop, confident it won't leak. You can bet I'll pay attention to build it so it won't!

Glad you're back posting Slow! You always start interesting threads.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sun May 13, 2018 6:41 am

some of my warmest rememberies from trips include sitting under the fly during a gentle rain

maybe a pot of beans or stew simmering on the fire/stove

most certainly a pot of coffee

and a good friend/spousal unit to share it all with :thumbsup:

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sun May 13, 2018 9:16 am

swoody126 wrote:some of my warmest rememberies from trips include sitting under the fly during a gentle rain

maybe a pot of beans or stew simmering on the fire/stove

most certainly a pot of coffee

and a good friend/spousal unit to share it all with :thumbsup:

sw
  • +1 ... It always seems to rain when I go camping, so I go prepared for it, and actually enjoy a gentle rain (major T-storms, not so much). I always set up an Ezy-Up canopy over my 4x8, so that 4 feet of the canopy sits directly over the roof, and 4 feet projects past it, forming a covered sitting area. I can cook on my side-table under it, and sit and relax in my chair (pushed back against the door).
  • So far, just the small 4x8 sitting area under the canopy has been sufficient, so I've not had to set up my other canopy, yet. But, I've moved my porta-potty tent to the sitting-area side, for easy access in the rain (I now usually seal off my other door with a canopy "wall" attachment), and use the tent to shield me from any wind-driven spray (I could also use another "wall", to further protect the area).
  • I camp w/o my spouse along, or any of my five dogs, so a few hours under the canopy is really nice (and quiet). If I care to socialize, I have a good rain jacket (and 3 ponchos as back-ups, in the truck) that keep(s) me dry-ish, as I visit around the campgrounds.
Attachments
canopy & chair variations.jpg
canopy & chair variations.jpg (127.2 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Wed May 30, 2018 5:22 pm

The only possible difference with rain.. is what clothes we wear. Hiking, Biking, or kayaking.. is still fun.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby swoody126 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:43 pm

wherever we go there will be weather

some of it will be more to our likin than other

aint there an old country & western song that recommends LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN ? :D

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Billinthedesert » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:41 am

Having lived most of my 65 years in the Pacific "Northwet," I am very slowly adjusting to the dry climate here in south-central New Mexico -- and the possibility that you can go weeks -- nay, even months -- at a time and be able count on sunshine. It is a radical concept.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:08 am

Coffee and a good book.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby crttaz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:26 am

Having spent a few afternoons in a race car trailer when it was pouring, my tablet with about 100 magazines loaded on to it is a great time killer. I get the magazines for "free" through local library, which my property taxes help fund. Because of this I want a tiny trailer I can stand up in and sit in a relaxing chair, already have a low height beach chair just for it.

$35 with discount from REI

crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:27 am

When it rains at home I like to go out on the covered porch and enjoy it, when it rains I like to come into the covered porch (The awning/easy up) and enjoy it. You can't do as much camper-ish stuff but you can always find something to do! Now if it rains for three days straight, there is a limit to anything, I don't like that at home OR camping.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby honeask » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Rainy days, we have had some. We have been rained on for two Lake Bastineau trips before but did not leave. Now days we decide about leaving if it is projected for a long period, more than 2 days. I don't enjoy going to bed in the early evenings though.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Heavy_Fuel » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:36 pm

I love rain camp days. I cook stews, chili, soups, bake cinnamon buns, and then fresh bread for dinner. I can putter around my kitchen all day, without feeling like I'm missing out on the outdoor experience. Cooking outdoors makes me feel most connected with my family and nature.
Heavy_Fuel
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:56 am

Shelly and I just got back from a week tent camping in Colorado, and I'm proud to say we are responsible for three days of very heavy rain on the 416 Fire near Durango!

Well, circumstantially at least: 1. It always rains when I go camping, B. We arrived at Molas Lake on Wednesday, and the monsoon started Thursday afternoon. Anyway, I'll claim credit! :D

The monsoon weather followed the usual pattern for Colorado this time of year: Cold before the Sun comes up, rapidly warming with cloud free skies in the morning. The clouds started around mid-morning, and by mid-afternoon we were getting thunderstorms. Often they end around evening, but in this case they kept coming until after dark. Rather than try and cook in the rain, we ate our light meal in the evenings and, one time, went into Silverton for dinner. In the afternoon we napped in a dry tent while the rain and hail came down, and did a lot of reading.

We did watch one movie on the DVD player built into our car's radio, but seemed like cheating.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Tarps Three on the tear and a Noah's between trees.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion