Brakes or No Brakes?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Brakes or No Brakes?

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:20 am

1000 pounds isnt a big deal, but youll be way happier with brakes. For simplicity mount the controller in the trailer and set it to just brake the trailer a bit lighter so your not locking the wheels when it rains or your on gravel. The only disadvantage to having it in the trailer is you cant adjust it on the fly for road conditions. But it makes it way easier for installation.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Alice » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:12 am

I got a wireless brake controller. Before I bought it I read numerous reviews, especially the negative ones. The big issue for some is getting the remote to connect to the trailer, so I made sure about the return policy in case I had trouble. It connected the first time and every time since with no trouble but the instructions have to be followed, even the steps that seem odd. That is for the initial connection, now I just plug in the remote and within a few seconds the remote displays the icon that says it is connected. I won't have to do the initial setup again unless I fill up the trailer with a lot more weight or tow it with a different car.

I wanted brakes after going down a steep hill without them. I looked at the ones that mount entirely on the trailer but opted for a wireless remote in the car exactly so I could adjust it on the fly like dancam said. I have found the flexibility to be worth the extra cost. Especially on long downgrades, using the handheld trailer brake plus downshifting gives very nice control.
Alice
Titanium Donating Member

Postby AzAv8r » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm

"tis better to have and not need, then need and not have". Yep. I tell my wife that every time we leave on a trip (camping or other). Fortunately, she still loves me. So surely it must be good advice. (The other part I say is, as we leave the driveway: "Well, if we forgot something, that's why God created credit cards." That one's not so useful. Like the time I ran out of propane while making dinner, and the nearest town was an hour away. We ate late...)

Now, for brakes, I'll stand by my previous post, with TV to Trailer weight ratios. There is "probably okay", "good", and "great". Decide where you want to operate.

Best,
Jon
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to General Discussion