Wheel Spacers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wheel Spacers

Postby DaveInConesus » Sat May 26, 2018 10:05 am

I stripped the pop up camper and am starting to get measurements. I would like to have 60" inside width. The trailer is currently at 62" between the s idewalls of the tires. When I add walls to the 60" I am getting a little closer than I want. The trailer uses 4 on 4 rims. Is there a good source for 1/2" or 1" wheel spacers? Are they a bad idea on a trailer?

Dave
DaveInConesus
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Wheel Spacers

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat May 26, 2018 10:22 am

I got my spacers on Ebay. They were a different size, but that doesn't change anything. My trailer with spacers has over 22K miles with no issues.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat May 26, 2018 11:16 am

There are 2 ways to get more wheel clearance from the trailer walls:
  • 1) use spacers (if you don't want to change your hub from a 4-lug, if that's on your trailer now ?, to a 5-lug to use larger wheels, 13"-15") or spacer/adapters, to step up in size. I've used both types of spacers, over many years, and on everything from trailers-to-trucks-to-racecars, with no problems. Just maintain proper torque, and all will be fine.
  • On my trailer, we (my friend, at his shop, actually) changed the worn-out bearings on the original axle to a larger/stronger set, and retained the 4-lug hubs, intending to use cheap 5.30 x 12" tires and wheels., on the as-planned sub-1000lb trailer, just to get it rolling again. But, after a week of re-thinking, and the availability of 14" tires (two used ones, from my friend's old trailer, and a perfect spare tire & wheel from my wife's business trailer), I opted to go bigger (I always intended to eventually go semi-off road, and bigger tires are indicated for that purpose). And, the fenders needed to be changed anyway, so it was the right time to do it. However, after a test fit of the new (ish) 14" tires, there was no room between the tire bulge (max. section width), so he ordered spacer/adapters (1.25", I think, from a favored supplier, which I don't recall) for $75-80.
  • 2) change your axle, now, to one with the specifications you need, without using spacers. You've got an old pop-up frame, and the springs (metal or torsion-type) may be over-stressed from age, so now's the time to upgrade and renew. Just contact a supplier, give them the specs you need, and they will make one to fit, if it can't be found pre-made, already.
  • I ordered one from Dexter Axle, and gave them one wrong measurement, that they corrected and advised me of, so my new 3500lb spring-type axle, with brakes, fit perfectly when I installed it (with all new springs & hardware, bought separately), for $325, in 2014. This was what I knew I should've started with, from the beginning, but was not possible, at first, in my low/no-budget build. Actually, it would've saved me a lot of time, money, and worry about using an old, overloaded axle, in the first place.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DaveInConesus » Sat May 26, 2018 11:39 am

I hadn't thought of using the spacer as a four lug to five lug adapter. That would open up my tire options a lot. I would like to get a bit more height on it. It is currently on 5.30-8 tires. I would prefer at least 14" wheels. The trailer has a Dexter Torflex axle on it so I don't want to change that out.

Dave
DaveInConesus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Sat May 26, 2018 12:48 pm

I recently put 1" spacers on Rose. I had gotten tired of looking at the tires/wheels not quite "filling" the fenders. She looks so much better now.

I torqued them carefully when I initially installed the spacers. After a 400 mile trip I pulled the wheels off, and checked everything over. I hit them again with the torque wrench, but nothing was even a bit loose.

I bought the spacers from Amazon.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby DaveInConesus » Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 pm

This is going to take a little looking. I am finding 4.5" spacing 4 lug but not 4" spacing.

Dave
DaveInConesus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Homebrewer25 » Sat May 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Apparently the only way to go from 4 lug to 5 lug is with a 2 piece adapter.

Here are some 2 piece wheel adapters that will go from 4x4 to 5x4.5, but they are 2" thick. They are $129 a pair:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_4_Lug_100_To_5_Lug_4_5_p/4100-5450b.htm

And these are on ebay ... seem to be the same thing. They are $74 for a pair:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-4x100-To-5x4-5-Wheel-Spacer-Adapters-2-Inch-12x1-5-Studs-4-Lug-to-5-Lug/142645842306?hash=item21365ad182:g:uZAAAOSwjIVaTtFi

I didn't find any that were less than 2" thick. This may be the minimum thickness for 2 piece adapters.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby prohandyman » Sat May 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Adaptit USA
Best spacers on the planet. Run them on my hot rod and my camper
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sat May 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Homebrewer25 wrote:Apparently the only way to go from 4 lug to 5 lug is with a 2 piece adapter....I didn't find any that were less than 2" thick. This may be the minimum thickness for 2 piece adapters.
  • No, mine were one piece, 1.25" thick (I found a picture and some other info, but not the manufacturer's name). The 4-lug trailer hubs used SAE inch sizing, but the 5-lugs on the adapter were metric, so I had to get new lug nuts. Otherwise, it was a painless addition that worked fine.
  • new bearings+hub, 1.25inch spacer-adapter for 4-lug to 5 on 4.5 bolt-circle wheels.jpg
    new bearings+hub, 1.25inch spacer-adapter for 4-lug to 5 on 4.5 bolt-circle wheels.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
  • The only reason I didn't keep the spacer/adapters when I gave that axle away, was that the nuts holding the adapters to the hub were put on (last) by another friend, also working on a project at my main friend's shop, had used his big high-powered air impact, instead of the smaller one we used for automotive work, and the nuts were permanently stuck in place. I never could remove them with my 1/2" electric impact at home, prior to giving the axle away.
    POSTSCRIPT ! I must redact my above two posts, since I looked further into my scribbled notepad, to refresh my failing memory....
  • My transition from 4-lug to 5-lug was done by switching to a 5-lug hub, instead of using a new 4-lug hub, when the larger bearings were installed. I see where my friend removed the new 4-lug hubs, and swapped them for new 5-lug hubs after our phone conversation about going to bigger 14" wheels. I was 110 miles away from his shop, and never remembered seeing it done, so my once-photographic memory had no memory in place, of the 5-lug hubs. By the time I was able to return to his shop, with 14" wheels, the new 5-lug hubs, and the new spacer-adapters, were already on the trailer. So, the hubs used were 5-lug (4.5" bolt circle) already, and a standard spacer-only type adapter was used (only there to furnish the extended hub-face and lugs, not to "adapt" it to a different bolt-circle). I apologize for confusion I may have added to this thread, with misinformation.
  • I worked 110 miles away from the shop where my trailer was, and 60 miles from my home...I had to make weekend trips out there to work on it, and my long hours and long commute made daily visits impossible. For that reason, and my aged 67+ year-old failing memory, I mixed-up details. Sorry about that, Chief!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tom Horn » Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 pm

I looked at going with wheel spacers on my trailer that I am building but after figuring the cost of buying the spacers and new hubs (As I didn't like the hubs on my trailer now) I decided on just buying a new axle. The difference was about $30 bucks more for the correct length axle to use with the new wheels. Now I have an old axle I can use for another project later or sell it.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion