Facebook kills the forum........

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Facebook kills the forum........

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun May 27, 2018 6:43 am

I don't think the forum is dying. If you are a builder, with an active project going, you will need this forum. Facebook will not be able to replace what is offered here for builders. The social side of teardropping has moved away some. I think the loss of PM here will accelerate that. When you can no longer talk privately about things related to camping or building, people will move to places where they can communicate. Time will tell what happens to many "Forums" in the future.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Sun May 27, 2018 7:48 am

Facebook is for the people who don't know anything or want to learn, they are there for the social aspect of wanting to have 10,000 friends they will never meet face to face or have any sort of relationship ... Yes don't even try to friend me on facebook becasue I don't respond, not because I don't like you but because it think the concept is a joke... Yeah I am on facebook for a couple of subjects, but that is because I can't find a decent forum for those subjects... Usually its because some of the forums are run by people on a power trip or need to control every aspect of forum so its not a pleasure for people to go there...

Generally there is a core group on a traditional forum that keeps it alive, and then there is the transient faction that is always in flux... In one facebook group there is a very small core group actually in process of developing a traditional forum becasue of the stupidity of facebook and the people it attracts and how the options and features people don't want or like are forced onto us by facebook...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Sun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm

Dale M. wrote:Facebook is for the people who don't know anything or want to learn, they are there for the social aspect of wanting to have 10,000 friends they will never meet face to face or have any sort of relationship ... Yes don't even try to friend me on facebook becasue I don't respond, not because I don't like you but because it think the concept is a joke... Yeah I am on facebook for a couple of subjects, but that is because I can't find a decent forum for those subjects... Usually its because some of the forums are run by people on a power trip or need to control every aspect of forum so its not a pleasure for people to go there...

Generally there is a core group on a traditional forum that keeps it alive, and then there is the transient faction that is always in flux... In one facebook group there is a very small core group actually in process of developing a traditional forum becasue of the stupidity of facebook and the people it attracts and how the options and features people don't want or like are forced onto us by facebook...

Dale
Yep.
They all ask how did you, what did you ! None want to do on their own. I'm a CTC not teardrop. Someone post a pic and then everyone wants to copy it so they ask for all the details.
I joined a couple and do not participate.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun May 27, 2018 4:48 pm

There are a bunch of facebook "teardrop" groups. None of the ones I've found seem to really care about any aspect of building or tweaking your tear.

Check out these cool cabinets I got at the big box scratch and dent section. Cabin storage! Yawn.

Hey look, I did an axle flip and dropped her 4 inches. Crickets.

I have found many of the Dallas area folks who built their tears about the same time. Still the same great group of people.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun May 27, 2018 5:32 pm

IMO, all facebook groups suck. Everything runs in a stream with focus on whatever is newest. I find it very hard to find something that was posted days or longer in the past. I try to avoid fb groups unless something I am very interested in has all the important info in a fb group and nowhere else. Might be just me...
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 pm

The difficulty posting pictures; and, recently, the loss of the PM feature have hurt this forum. Also, the fact that everything is public hurts. I would have liked it better if the forum had gone the way of the Tearjerkers forum by making people join and use their real name instead of lurking; but, that wasn't possible, given the way this forum is set up already. Even that would not be a perfect solution because anybody can join and you still don't know who they really are. Heck, people who used to be star members have had to be "un-starred"; so, there's really no guarantee there either. I like our closed Jefferson State Facebook group. It seems to work well for camp gathering plans, But I like this forum for building. I think we need a combination of both Facebook and forum. Not having to carry all those personal messages frees up some space for the forum, too.

Isn't there a way that people can send a message to another member's email id? It seems to me that there is; but, I don't remember about it. Is that turned off too?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 28, 2018 5:01 am

We use facebook to promote my Art and Music business ( https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009558437222 ) …. and send those interested here for trailer /camper discussion … Most people on Facebook are merely seeking third party affirmation … Some are there just to argue politics …( we IGNORE them) :R

This forum is still doing fine ( IMHO ) , especially the Foamie section , where we build affordable trailers that can actually live outside without turning to Oatmeal ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:44 am

I love this forum and others like it. I hate facebook and am only on it to keep up with my son and daughter and they with me. I'm on FB once a day or so in the mornings for maybe 5 minutes. My facebook name is that of a 19th century sailor. My entire FB profile is completely fake, as in I am the President of Mexico (employment), I live in Siberia (location), I have a PhD in weird food physics from Harvard (education). I am anywhere from 30-95 years old (until they stopped me from changing my birthdate). I log in with a vpn from various parts of the world.

I tell many, many people whom I meet to go to TNTTT when they show an interest in camping or trailers. I will agree with Slow in that this forum is far less busy than when I first started, but the information gleaned and the kind of comraderie in like minded people is wonderful.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon May 28, 2018 10:43 am

daveesl77 wrote: I am anywhere from 30-95 years old (until they stopped me from changing my birthdate).

LOL, you too. I'm about to turn 98 years old according to Zuck.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tophog » Tue May 29, 2018 1:15 am

I'm new here, but am confused why the rules were changed due to some European crap. The gun, off road and hot rod forums I belong to have not changed.

:roll:

-

BTW, I don't use Facebook.

Just sayin'!
Tophog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dale M. » Tue May 29, 2018 7:52 am

Me too, becasue this is only forum I visit where "fuzzbut" restrictions were enabled or even mentioned.... In my online world nothing has changed except for the forever changing farcebook... The minute you get on the INTERNET for first time everything about you is known by everybody who wants to know anything.... And didn't you know in the suit happy world you can be arrested and sued for something you did not do, were not close too when it happened just becasue you breath air...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gudmund » Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 am

am cheap with snail phone-line hook-up - will never use Facebook :thumbdown: , NOT interested.................... forum is just fine the way it is :applause:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tiiiiii85 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 am

Tophog wrote:I'm new here, but am confused why the rules were changed due to some European crap. The gun, off road and hot rod forums I belong to have not changed.

-

Just sayin'!
It's not the recent EU regulation(GDPR) that affected the forum. It's the (similarly recent) FOSTA passed in the US. There is a topic where they explain and discuss about FOSTA and how it can affect the forum, especially since the admins are US citizens.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
tiiiiii85
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dale M. » Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 pm

tiiiiii85 wrote:
Tophog wrote:I'm new here, but am confused why the rules were changed due to some European crap. The gun, off road and hot rod forums I belong to have not changed.

-

Just sayin'!
It's not the recent EU regulation(GDPR) that affected the forum. It's the (similarly recent) FOSTA passed in the US. There is a topic where they explain and discuss about FOSTA and how it can affect the forum, especially since the admins are US citizens.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Again I will say this is only one of many forum I visit that FOSTA has even been mentioned.... None of the others I visit seem concerned....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue May 29, 2018 10:42 pm

I really don't think Facebook killed the forum. Anyone who finds their place on Facebook probably really doesn't have much to offer here.

The thing that hurt this forum is Photobucket. So many threads are next to useless when the pictures are missing. When I started looking into building a tear I hated this site because of that. Luckily I found a few threads that gave me the info I was looking for.

I really didn't care when the PM's went away, but now there is a guy local to me I would like to contact but really don't know how to now. It shouldn't be that hard.

I would say the forum almost needs a reboot. Archive all the dead end threads where they can still be seen but like in a separate forum. Carry over some of the best build threads, have fewer sub forums, bring back PM's. Use different forum software that allows for a like button. So often I look at a build thread and would like to be able to push the like button to let the poster know I'm following along and like what he/she is doing. I hate to put that in the thread because It doesn't add anything to the thread. Look at some of the foamie threads. On the other side it takes a lot of work to do a build thread, it's a pain to upload pictures here. I got to the point, do I want to spend an hour adding pictures and updating my build thread or spend another hour working in the garage? I didn't even know if anyone was looking at the thread to warrant the work.

How often do you see a post that says "I'm new from XX, and am looking forward bah, bah, bah". and maybe one reply back saying welcome. That is not the sign of a growing forum. Sure a lot of people come here and get the info they need, build a camper and never come back, but is there a reason to come back? How about a trip report forum where you can post pictures and the route you took on a trip. Nice campgrounds. Maybe it is already here but I haven't found it.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion