Door step transition considerations

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Door step transition considerations

Postby OP827 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi everyone.

I am looking for advice. I am not sure what is a better way to do a transition from frame to the trailer wall, see photo below. I need to figure out how to extend the wall down to the step bottom. I am also considering adding some sort of a skirt to hide the frame around the trailer. Looking for suggestions from people who has done this kind of thing.
The entrance door bottom will be at the same level as the step bottom of steel. Thanks in advance.

It should look something like this:
Last edited by OP827 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Door step transition considerations

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I like it the way it already is. I think it looks fine.
Adding exterior base trim is just one more thing to have to upkeep and one more thing to go wrong. ...my 2 cents worth. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks Sharon for your reply. I tend to agree with you on simplicity, but I am not sure how can I do the weather sealing of the door opening without at least skirting around door... As you can see from the photo, the frame is offset towards inside from wall by about 1-1/2" in vertical plane... Do you recall anyone on this forum who did somewhat similar lower door and skirting?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:02 pm

This is what I mean by the door placement, the outline shown in orange. I did not plan or think of this detail when I was building the step and floor. I will figure this out if there will be no responses, but wanted to check with people who did that first.. mostly need to decide what materials to use - steel sheet/angle (fix it by stitch welds) or plywood/wood covered in glass or something else and then screwed and glued with urethane adhesive/sealant to the frame... :thinking:

OP827
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:48 pm

OP827 wrote:This is what I mean by the door placement, the outline shown in orange. I did not plan or think of this detail when I was building the step and floor. I will figure this out if there will be no responses, but wanted to check with people who did that first.. mostly need to decide what materials to use - steel sheet/angle (fix it by stitch welds) or plywood/wood covered in glass or something else and then screwed and glued with urethane adhesive/sealant to the frame... :thinking:

:thinking: Ah....You seem to have created a nice little dilemma for yourself! When I have a dilemma, I go to sleep, thinking about it, and often wake up with a solution. But, in this instance, all I can do is toss out ideas, based on the picture; so, here we go!

1) Build the door, inset, from the top of the opening to the floor, not including the metal step. This would require some additional wood etc for the door to seal against but it would give you a tiny alcove to step up into while you are unlocking the door or opening your umbrella? Maybe not the best solution; but still, an idea. It would also protect the door somewhat from splashing and rot.

2) Is there a groove area about 2 or 3 inches down on that metal area? If so, could you make a removable piece that slides in there that would be held in place when the door is closed? Maybe make the piece hinged to the door so that it could be locked in place to the door when not in use?

Or, hinge a piece to the interior side so that you could latch it in place when not in use? Even if there isn't a groove area, you could make a piece even with your interior floor and do something like that with it. You could even have an additional screen & metal piece that could be put in place to let air in at night while critters are kept at bay and everything else is locked up. Nobody would be the wiser unless you showed them! (So, now, the mind is churning in strange ways.....You could have a solid hinged piece that swings down on one side and a screened metal hinged piece on the other side that can swing down when you want a little cool air coming in! )

3) If you decide to go with your plan to have the door go from the top of the opening to the bottom of the step, you might want to look in an auto parts store for rubber-like seals. I'm thinking a heavy duty seal, tough enough to walk on, inset just a little ways from the edge of the metal step area, bottom and sides, with a coordinating rubber-like seal on the door that meets up and crushes against the other seal.

4) Did you notice that none of the above calls for that outside trim that you were thinking about? That's still an option; but, if there's another way.....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and ideas Sharon. You are absolutely right about the dilemma, i created that myself for myself... due to lack of experience or something else. In any case this dilemma slowed me down a bit, as usual with this build, but thanks to your friendly help I should be able to resolve it. Thanks again Sharon, appreciate it. Now back to our usual program...thinking.. :thinking: :roll: :thinking:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:12 am

Ahh....OP, almost missed this interesting post. Who doesn't love problems? I personally vote for steel, wouldn't take a heavy (thick) profile of angle to make up the edge, isn't your bottom step area steel? This would give you plenty of strength for stepping on, just a little add-on, you will prime the heck out of it, naturally, because it will get wet being at the bottom of the doorway and all. The little side pieces or whatever you call them can be something like 10 ga steel, with a lip or small 90 degree at the top for bolting?

Don't remember, but you have wire feed/ mig? Good luck, I guess we're all getting some stuff done on our trailers! later...Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:08 pm

Nodrog wrote:Ahh....OP, almost missed this interesting post. Who doesn't love problems? I personally vote for steel, wouldn't take a heavy (thick) profile of angle to make up the edge, isn't your bottom step area steel? This would give you plenty of strength for stepping on, just a little add-on, you will prime the heck out of it, naturally, because it will get wet being at the bottom of the doorway and all. The little side pieces or whatever you call them can be something like 10 ga steel, with a lip or small 90 degree at the top for bolting?

Don't remember, but you have wire feed/ mig? Good luck, I guess we're all getting some stuff done on our trailers! later...Nodrog

Right, who doesn't, but it is definitely not me, I thrive on problems, lol. Steel is what I am thinking too Nodrog. Yes the all black is steel step I previously fabricated. Just need to get a gas bottle, since I left that in Alberta when we moved. I can do stick weld, too. I do not like gas-less wire feed, too low quality, lotsa splatter and pores. Yes, my welder is mig/tig/stick. Also need to find a piece of steel somewhere around here. Oh, I forgot that I need to run 220V for that welder as well... There is no scrap yards or metal supermarkets around, so we'll see. I'll fix it, lots to do anyways. Thanks for checking in!
OP827
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion