Registration, utility trailers, and attaching the floor

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Registration, utility trailers, and attaching the floor

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:51 pm

It occurred to me as a result of several recent threads - registration in Texas and attaching the floor among them - that perhaps if the floor and entire cabin were "clearly" not permsnently attached to the trailer, it would legitimately be a utility trailer for registration. If occasionally it's load was a teardrop cabin, it would still be a utility trailer.

This has probably been discussed but my searching did not turn it up.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Registration, utility trailers, and attaching the floor

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:56 pm

I've thought about doing it, but the law is clear in AZ. If you can sleep in it (bed) it's a travel trailer and needs RV plates. Now if I was a cop and heard the story you would need to tell, I would say "tell it to the judge" and give you a ticket. Now I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for not having the correct plates. But is it worth the hassle to save what $30-$50 buck a year?

Take into account where you live. Do you want to spend a day going to Chicago for court? I was in Oak Park last week, my brother-in-law lives in River Forest and seems to get pulled over for the dumbest things. Some towns cops are looking for anything to pull you over.

I lived way to long in southern Crock county, but our pop-up camper was only $25 a year and if I remember right the utility trailer was $25 a year also.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Return to General Discussion